The Cloud G/SP-015 Tonight

Hi All,

If you work my Dad M1EYP in the 6 meter contest tonight you might be interested to know that my Dad M1EYP has walked up The Cloud G/SP-015 from our house in Macclesfield.

Jimmy M3EYP

Update,

My Dad M1EYP is below The Cloud G/SP-015 and he is about make his way up to Cloudside.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

Hi Jimmy,
I hope your weather is better than ours, we have heavy rain
and lots of statics on the band.
Hope to hear Tom later tonight.

Vy73 Fritz

Hi Fritz,

The weather is better here than what it is in Germany, although it was raining before.

Most of time and band was in very bad condition, so I decided to finish the contest early.

Jimmy M3EYP

Hi All,

My Dad M1EYP is back at our House now in Macclesfield.

He is very wet and tired, but he enjoyed the walk.

He says thank you to the people who called him.

Jimmy M3EYP

I’ll put a full report on when I have time and energy! I am absolutely shattered after the walk of yesterday and today, and I am now preoccupied with preparing for tomorrow’s new SOTA mission down to South Wales.

The idea was to walk to The Cloud from my front door in Macclesfield. The concept then developed somewhat to do it on a contest night, do an “all-nighter” activation, and walk back to Macclesfield the following day.

Further self-imposed requirements were to avoid roads unless unavoidable - which meant taking some rather wide detours with considerable additional distance on public footpaths, and to do the whole thing as a circular walk - which turned to mean that today’s return leg was quite a bit longer and more difficult than yesterday’s outward walk.

Full route details will follow, but here are the radio results:

Tuesday 25th August 2009
6m SSB: 29
6m CW: 3
40m CW: 6
80m CW: 3
80m SSB: 2
Total: 43

Wednesday 26th August 2009
70cm FM: 2
2m FM: 4
6m CW: 3
15m CW: 1
40m CW: 24
80m CW: 3
Total: 37

It was all good fun - although the last few miles today with the heavy pack didn’t feel like it! Stories to be related include my identification of a drink-driver, being ‘dropped in on’ by an unexpected visitor last night, going to church this morning and completing the afternoon with a pub-crawl!

Soup of the evening was Baxter’s Flame Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

“Soup of the evening was Baxter’s Flame Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato”

Pleased to know that Tom. Since you’ve broken out the flask, I assume that we must be getting into autumn… Where did the summer go?

73, Gerald

HI Gerald

The first thing that Tom and Jimmy did when they climbed Ailsa Craig SS-246 was to get the soup out. So I think the ritual of partaking in the exotic Baxter’s Soup is an all year round thing…

73 Phil

In reply to G4OIG:

Where did the summer go?

I think summer is just arriving here. Well as T. Hancock would say “It is raining here not.” Which is a first for August 2009 I think! Oh, it’s September next week.

Andy
MA0FMF

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to M1EYP:

“Soup of the evening was Baxter’s Flame Roasted Red Pepper &
Tomato”

Pleased to know that Tom. Since you’ve broken out the flask, I assume
that we must be getting into autumn… Where did the summer go?

73, Gerald

Summer? What’s that? (as another brisk shower rattles past)

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Summer? What’s that? (as another brisk shower rattles past)

We’d better not make too much of it Brian, else someone will be asking for a summer bonus soon.

Normally our water butts are empty at this time of year… not this one. No doubt we’ll be told there’s a drought on soon!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Gale force wind, torrential rain & horizontal marble sized hailstones here - just another normal summer day in Buxton.

In reply to G1INK:

Gale force wind, torrential rain & horizontal marble sized
hailstones here - just another normal summer day in Buxton.

So why aren’t you out on a summit then Steve? Oh I forgot, to take full advantage of such weather conditions, you have to have me with you on the summit. :wink:

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

“So why aren’t you out on a summit then Steve?”

A stupid concept called “work”

Hope to be out Sunday wx permitting.

In reply to G1INK:

It really has been a dreadful summer hasn’t it, and after a winter that suggested much better!

Although very new to activating, my low number of activations this year has been more down to the terrible weather than any other factor, even my lack of fitness! I would probably be better planning for atrocious conditions in future, with anything better being a bonus.

Hmmm, Summer bonus points anyone? HI!

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G1INK:
Hi Steve,
it was sunny when we drove through Buxton yesterday. (Thursday)
Looks like the Large family chose the right day to visit the Peaks. We had black hailstones coming down the chimney today though!

Cheers

James
G7MLO

In reply to G7MLO:

I had everything unplugged and isolated this afternoon due to thunderstorms, not a good day for chasing those bold souls prepared to sit on top of a hill with a nice conductor up in the air and pointing straight down to them like the finger of doom!

Brian G8ADD