Thanks to a fellow Colin (G4UXH) and FT-290R user

I’d just like to thank Colin G4UXH for taking me past the 750 Chaser Points mark.

Even better was that we were both called Colin with our home QTH being in Cumbria and using Yaesu FT-290R’s, I was cheating by feeding mine into a S.E.M. ‘The Sentinel’ Linear Amp which boost the output to about 25W.

I’m also interested in the homemade 5/8 whip Colin was using, it certainly seems to work well. I have tried to knock up a 5/8 whip myself using a short fishing pole but failed to get a good consistent SWR.

Colin.

In reply to 2E0XSD:
try using 1/2 wave can be a little better
like colin said listen tomorrow as he will be out again, i was in rhyl when i heard him having a qso with another station on nw054,
Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB:
Thanks Steve, I have been giving the idea of a 1/2 wave Slim Jim a try, just need to source some Ladder Line.

Colin.

In reply to 2E0XSD:HI COL JUST JOINED SOTA +WOTA TODAY .GLAD TO HELP YOU FURTHER YOUR POINTS TALLY.THATS MY 3RD ACCENT OF SNOWDON? FISRT TIME WITH RADIO?
WOTA 214 IS MY GOAL? I AM GETING CLOSE TO 100. ONLY 5 WITH RADIO.AS FOR THE ANT WAS MADE FROM A MOBILE ANT WITH LOADING COIL TURNING UP +THREADING A ROUND BRASS BAR TO FIT WERE THE TELOSOPIC ANT USED TO BE ON FT 290.I DO NOT LEAVE THE ANT IN WHEN ON THE MOVE ?LISTERN OUT FOR ME IN THE LD WX PERMITING?IN THE WEEKS TO COME.

BEST 73 S COLIN G4UXH

In reply to G4UXH:

Hi Col,
Thanks for the info on the 5/8, I’ll have to give that some thought.

I will certainly listen out for you in LD (or anywhere else for that matter), I monitor S20 most days. I’ve worked 73 WOTA’s so far and keen to get a few more under my belt.

Colin.