Thanks SOTA - Password generating

Thanks to SMP, the ability to look for hills across the word make it ideal when creating passwords, once mixed with additional characters :slight_smile:
People at work don’t thank me…

3 Likes

If you combine the words with the heights, SOTA points, and maybe some random symbols, you’ll be sure to get a pretty unique and strong password.

If you prefer to follow NCSC guidance, you can make some nice passphrases too;
MuddyBillingeHill
TerrifyingSnowdonQueues
BeautifulTalaiaAlbercutx

Take a look here to see how strong your made up password is: Password Strength Meter (passwordmonster.com)

And if you want to check if your chosen password is already on a list of known breached passwords, then this is an interesting site: Have I Been Pwned: Pwned Passwords

You can check if your email address has been breached at the same site: Have I Been Pwned: Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach

73, Simon

8 Likes

We use NCSC for our DNS lookups across the estate.
With the a combo of all of the mentioned items it would be a really secure password.
Feedback was’nt great from the first person who got a GM hill name with a combo of Upper case, numbers and ! $%$ etc. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think that MeallanLiathCoireMhicDhughaill on its own should be strong enough. Memorising the spelling will be a challenge!

6 Likes

Just adding the correct callsign region prefix will eliminate most hackers :smiley:

1 Like

According to the website posted by Simon
MeallanLiathCoireMhicDhughaill would take 5 million trillion years to crack

2 Likes

Working through the fission product element symbols and atomic numbers on a nucleide chart has kept me in passwords for a while, even though I have to change them every three months.

1 Like

But if you’ve just told people your strategy on a public forum they only have to guess from the 1218 Scottish Marilyns which should be eminently achievable in a human lifetime…

3 Likes

And work out which users to ‘brute force’ and where I work and what OS to attack.
All doable with enough time…

cheers
john
m0vaz