Thanks for your patience Mike! (2E0YYY)

A big thanks to Mike (2E0YYY) this afternoon whilst on Shining Tor, for your patience whilst I was working you.

I’d set up on one of my local hills (liddington Castle, approx 2 miles SE of Swindon, Wilts - N51 30.978 W001 41.925 for the record!) Using an FT60E handheld and putting the 5w into a Sandpiper Delta Quad up at about 9’. A pleasant mid afternoon on the Hill’s summit at about 277m, I’d had a couple of contacts off the calling channel, gradually turning the antenna round and calling CQ. A quick flick about on a few other channels and I heard ‘SOTA’ mentioned in a distant QSO. My ears pricked up and I established it was Mike on Shining Tor some 120 odd miles away. A bit of Cat & Mouse entailed as one minute he was 51 with me then I’d lose him altogether. A few calls on hearing ‘QRZ’ brought nothing back, so after a bit more gradual antenna turning, I finally heard him 51 to 52 again. A few more calls and listening to other QSO’s, I finally got a response that he could hear someone calling, but couldn’t make out the callsign. Mike stayed patient though, giving me a number of chances to repeat my call. After several minutes and attempts he repeated my call, gave a signal report and finally I was in his log (phew!). After a number of partially heard overs from me, giving my details, working conditions etc. we gave our respective 73’s and ended the QSO.

A pleasure working you this afternoon Mike and pleased to have done it on 5w!

Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to M6HBS:

A big thanks to Mike (2E0YYY) this afternoon whilst on Shining Tor,
for your patience whilst I was working you.

No problem, Jonathan, all part of the hobby…

After several
minutes and attempts he repeated my call, gave a signal report and
finally I was in his log (phew!). After a number of partially heard
overs from me, giving my details, working conditions etc. we gave our
respective 73’s and ended the QSO.

My pleasure Jonathan, if all the calls were dead easy, we’d all tire with the hobby pretty quickly.

A pleasure working you this afternoon Mike and pleased to have done it
on 5w!

My thanks for the call, you’re in the log with just over 100 other contacts all done on the 2 Metre band using my MK2 home brew dipole …a fine days radio, especially for a mid week activation.

Many thanks to all who took the time and trouble to call me today, on a very cold Shining Tor.

Best 73
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Mike
It’s all your fault…
Instead of doing what I was supposed to do, I did my first SOTA activation yesterday at Billinge Hill SP-017.
It was after our QSO on 144 FM and the description of your surroundings, the view and the weather that I grabbed a few bits and bobs and got on my way. It is something I have wanted to do for some time but was unable due a walking restriction. I was only there for an hour but made 10 contacts from 5W on a handie into a mobile whip on a tea tray.
Nice to work you S2S too although I didn’t record that as we had worked earlier in the day!
Thanks to all the others who called in, some whom I could not hear due to the noise from the nearby masts. Perhaps I will get you from The Cloud soon, my next target…What have you started…
Regards
Dave
M0TUB

In reply to M0TUB:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Mike
It’s all your fault…
Instead of doing what I was supposed to do, I did my first SOTA
activation yesterday at Billinge Hill SP-017.

Oh dear, Dave… You’re doomed!!! The only cure known to mankind, is early retirement.

It was after our QSO on 144 FM and the description of your
surroundings, the view and the weather that I grabbed a few bits and
bobs and got on my way. It is something I have wanted to do for some
time but was unable due a walking restriction. I was only there for an
hour but made 10 contacts from 5W on a handie into a mobile whip on a
tea tray.

Looks like you’re in the market for an FT-817, FT-857, SLABS, Portable antennas, boots, rugsack etc etc etc… Oh dear, oh dear…

Nice to work you S2S too although I didn’t record that as we had
worked earlier in the day!

Strangely enough, neither did I. However, I did log the S2S from Billinge…

Thanks to all the others who called in, some whom I could not hear due
to the noise from the nearby masts. Perhaps I will get you from The
Cloud soon, my next target…What have you started…

Setting targets eh? Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! Now you really are in serious trouble :wink:

Look forward to working you S2S in the not too distant future, Dave. Maybe see you at one of the rallies soon?

Regards
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
And a Landrover…don’t forget a Landrover.
Much needed on a few mornings this winter at -15C on our way to ‘enjoy’ out radio, eh Mike???

In reply to G1STQ:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
And a Landrover…don’t forget a Landrover.
Much needed on a few mornings this winter at -15C on our way to
‘enjoy’ out radio, eh Mike???

Yeah, preferably one with a heater that works :frowning:

Mike 2E0YYY