Telford Rally

We have the Blackpool rally in February / March each year, Which is well attended by sota group activators / chasers, Im just wondering is anyone going to attend the Telford rally which is being held on 28th September 2008, Im hoping to attend a I have some other arrangement in Telford on Saturday, (brother-in-laws birthday)

Steve m0sgb

Yes Steve, I will be running a SOTA stand at the Telford Hamfest on Sunday 28th September 2008. Do you fancy doing a stint on the stand?

Which brings me nicely to that question to all: Can any SOTA participants attending the rally spare an hour or so to staff the SOTA stand at some point in the day? If so, let me know on this thread or via email (tread at sgfl dot org dot uk), and get those SOTA T-shirts and sweatshirts washed and ironed ready!

Thanks,

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Hi Tom, im hoping to attend, all depends on my hangover / sore head. like I said a big 50th birthday party is going to be on Saturday, if all goes to plan I hope to see you aswell as anyone else attending,

Steve m0sgb

In reply to M1EYP:
We will be there at Telford. Audrey has done some baking. Hope to activate several of the WB summits on Saturday. Quick activations, modes/bands to be decided on the day, always 2FM though. No self spotting capability. Hope to work everyone on Saturday and meet lots on Sunday.
Rob
G4RQJ

All set for tomorrow. Rob, Audrey, Jimmy, Liam and myself will be the main “staff” for the SOTA stand, but if any other SOTA participants are there and can spare some time, I’m sure we would all appreciate the odd half-hour off to look around the show. SOTA T-shirts and sweatshirts on if you have them!

Rob, don’t know if you will see this now, but I have a parking permit for you. You’ll have to say that M1EYP / SOTA has your permit when you arrive.

We look forward to meeting many SOTA friends tomorrow, and hopefully spreading the word to the, as yet, uninitiated.

Tom M1EYP, Jimmy M3EYP, Liam

In reply to M1EYP:

SOTA T-shirts and sweatshirts on if you have them!

Hi Tom,

I hope the rally goes well.

I would be very keen to buy SOTA T-shirts / sweatshirts for myself and family. Are they still available, and if so, where?

73, Fred

In reply to GI4MWA:

Funny you should mention that… I’ve been in touch with a number of vendors this week getting prices for embroidered sweatshirts, polo shirts and fleeces.
Watch this space for more details.

Andy
MM0FMF

Andy
have you tried ‘Barneys print shop’ in Cumbria?

They are very competitive.
I have no connection with them other than I have used their products.
David

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to GI4MWA:

Funny you should mention that… I’ve been in touch with a number of
vendors this week getting prices for embroidered sweatshirts, polo
shirts and fleeces.
Watch this space for more details.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G6LKB:

My initial approaches have been to companies that are already producing “callsign+logo” items. Saves a lot of time if you don’t have to explain in minute detail exactly what you want.

However, I keep hearing there’s a recession brewing and that retail sales are in the dumps. If that’s so then I can only assume that sales of these kind of clothes must be through the roof and there is no recession in the retail clothing business as the companies involved don’t seem to be rushing to bite my hand off for any business! :frowning:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to GI4MWA:
Hi Fred take a look at the following link http://www.freewebs.com/m0sgb/sotagarments.htm this guy is a radio ham aswell. his call-sign is m0wbh name is bill location is huddersfield,

Steve m0sgb

Many thanks to everyone for your replies.

The supplier in Huddersfield looks very interesting, as he’s already offering an embroidered SOTA logo - thanks Steve.

73, Fred

The decision to have a SOTA stand at the Telford Hamfest paid off. Jimmy and I set up the banner, laptop presentation and displays ready for the 10am opening. For the next four hours, we were pleasantly busy, meeting SOTA participants old and new, and, refreshingly, chatting to lots of people who were interested in getting involved in SOTA and wanting further information.

The stand was staffed by Jimmy M3EYP, Rob G4RQJ, Audrey and myself. Grateful thanks to Rob and Audrey, yet again, for putting in a big time commitment for SOTA at a rally, and especially to Audrey for another fine supply of homebaked SOTA cakes.

The rally seemed to be quite busy until 2pm. It was a decent venue layout wise, although the range of food and drink at the refreshment kiosk was very limited.

I think the next SOTA outing at a rally/radio show will be Llandudno in November. Roger - I’ll have to get the banner to you somehow!

Many thanks to Richard G3CWI / SOTA Beams for sponsoring the stand, meaning that again SOTA appears at a rally at no cost to the programme itself.

Tom M1EYP

BTW, does anyone know of a decent breakfast stop when heading this way? We used to use a transport cafe type place just off J1 of the M54, but it appears to have disappeared and become a business park in the two years since we last visited. There wasn’t much proper grub at the rally itself either. Thank goodness for the Weston Balti Raj!