Tallest vs. Highest - An Interesting Ascent of KH6/HW-001

No amateur radios mentioned, but this article is an interesting take on scaling the full elevation of KH6/HW-001, the tallest mountain on Earth.

1 Like

I don’t get it. They call Mauna Kea the tallest Mountain because they measure from the base, deep under the Pacific, yet if you measure from the same point Everest is higher. Mauna Kea is tallest simply because they are comparing apples and oranges.

6 Likes

More practically, the peak that is furthest from the center of the Earth is Mount Chimborazo. This is because Earth is an oblate spheroid rather than a perfect sphere.

73 Eric KG6MZS

4 Likes

Brian,
In their defence this is a volcano that grew from the ocean bed so their idea has merit. Mt Everest started at about sea level and was pushed up.

Ron

Mount Everest started as sediment on the floor of an ocean before the collision of the Indian Plate with the South Tibetan Plate forced it to its present height (Tibet is two plates.) Incidentally the Karakoram summits started out as an island arc ahead of the Indian plate. Well, that’s the short outline of a very complex series of events! In short, Mauna Kea grew by accretion, Everest was squeezed up like toothpaste, both started at much the same depth!

3 Likes

Brian, you’re the only guy marching in step and just about everyone else in the world is out of step with you on this.

2 Likes

Well at least I have logic and geological facts on my side!

3 Likes

Tallest … sure ok but all I’m saying is … no activation in the SOTAdata system, doesn’t count…. :laughing:

Also it’s mostly a drive up, silly people.

Totally agree! It was interesting to see the idea for the “ascent” take shape and how it was executed.

Also another example of the diversity of how a mountain is defined :rofl: Everyone is entitled to their wrong opinion I suppose!

I think they should have walked up from the ocean floor, buts that’s just me.

2 Likes

8 Likes

I can’t argue against that Brian, but if it was was a shallow ocean Everest might still be second or third.

R

The ocean that was destroyed in the collision is known as Tethys. It was a typical ocean, spreading from a mid ocean ridge, and was probably as deep as the current Indian Ocean. The sequence of events was complex. North Tibet, South Tibet and then India split away consecutively from Africa and moved rapidly toward Asia. A southward directed subduction zone under India scraped ocean bottom sediments against India making an Andean style mountain range. After the two parts of Tibet docked on Asia, India in its turn collided and the sediments from Tibet merged with the Indian accretionary wedge and were squeezed upwards so that an Andean style mountain range was augmented into the Himalaya. The Tethyan ocean was deep, then it was gone.

1 Like