Tal y Fan - GW/NW-040

On the way home from a 24 hr endurance Ford KA at Anglesey Circuit (I was helping out with recovery support) decided to activate Tal y Fan GW/NW-040.
Parked on the grass verge just down from the stil making sure there was enough room for other cars to get passed.
Grabbed the bag of kit and made my way up the hill. Followed the well definded path in the grass & heather.
Got to the summit and setup. My intention was for 2m and try HF but on seeing the rain clouds in the distance I opted for just 2m setup.

Got set up. Tried sending a spot but not enough signal.
CQ’d on 145.500mhz and first contact was GB0QE / GI4SZW in Newry, Northern Ireland - 5/9 both ways
Managed 10 contacts in the 15mins I was there.
Scotland - GM
Wales - GW
England - G / M
Ireland - GI / EI
also in the log.

Good views from the top

and the view on the way down (spot the car_

I might have to revisit but operate with HF
Cheers

5 Likes

Nice report John, one of my Favourite NW Summits, love the scramble just as you arrive at the top, Sorry I missed you, I don’t have much Radio ops at home these days, preferring to be portable or Mobile

Well Done 73 Tony

1 Like

Did you miss this excitement?

2 Likes

Hi Tony. After the 3rd stile I turned right and looked up the hill and thought oh not far…Got up the hill and noticed another hill. Great… Climbed that hill and spotted the outline of the trig point and bit more scrambling to get there. But cracking views from the top.

cheers

2 Likes

Yes I did miss all the excitement thankfully!
Cheers

2 Likes