Taking SLAB's on aircraft

Anyone know if you allowed to take SLAB’s on planes? Sean M0GIA

In reply to M0GIA:
Hi Sean,
There is an investigation going on at this time into the accident in Dubai recently when a cargo Boeing 747 crashed due to a fire. It was carrying a large quantity of Lithium batteries which have been proved to have a fire risk.
Possibly the outcome of this could be a restriction but time will tell. Best to check with Your operator.

Cheers,
Nik
M5DND

In reply to M5DND:

A cargo plane carrying a cargo of Lithium cells is not the same as someone taking a SLAB on a passenger flight. As for restrictions on passenger carry on luggage & checked luggage, well there already are lots of restrictions.

In reply to M0GIA:

This has been discussed before, search the reflector threads. The essence of the advice is to take batteries in hand luggage not checked in luggage. You can check this American advice http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm content that most other administrations will be doing what they say aswell.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi Andy,

What I meant was that the restrictions might get worse as the investigation concludes.

Lets hope they are sensible about it.

Cheers
Nik M5DND

According to my information:

Batteries must be protected against short circuits (effective
insulation of exposed terminals with tape) and must be securely
packed in strong outer packaging (fibre board box is ok).

Each battery and outer package must be labeled with the words
"/NON-SPILLABLE BATTERY/" and visible during transportation.

For all modes of transportation, each battery and outer package must be labeled:
“Non-Spillable” or “Non-Spillable Battery”. This label must be visible during transportation.

You have to carry this paperwork with you.

Batteries are not allowed in handluggage and must be checked-in.

Your mileage may vary.

In reply to LX1NO:
Aer Arran Express wanted me to provide the following when I enquired about taking a SLAB to Ireland this year.

Written documentation that the battery is Non/Un spillable and complies with IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations Special Provision A67 or the vibration or pressure differential tests of Packing Instruction 806.

I bought one when I got there and it wasn’t a snip at Euro 30. but it’s there for next time.

Dave/G4ASA

In reply to G4ASA:
Thanks for the replys, I will look at some sort of 12v supply at the other end.
Sean M0GIA

In reply to G4ASA:

Exactly the same paperwork. They wanted the battery specs, they got them and in return I got all papers. No big deal and at no extra charge.

73 Norby

In reply to G4ASA:
And that ends any ideas I had about taking the FT817 to EA8-land for a week in November. Ah, well, there’s always the sun and warm sea - something we’ve had precious little of in the UK this year!

Regards, Dave, G6DTN/M0DFA

Interesting - advice seems to vary about what is allowed.

http://digitalcontentproducer.com/cameras/revfeat/heart_liion/index1.html seems to indicate that, when talking about Lithium-ion batteries, the following apply:-

1. Consumer equipment batteries below 100Wh are “de minimis” and are effectively unlimited.

2. You are allowed a maximum of two “professional” batteries in the 100-160Wh power range. This includes one that is installed in the equipment it is intended to power.

3. They must be in your carry-on luggage - even consumer equipment ones.

4. You must ask the airline’s permission to bring batteries over 100Wh

5. Batteries must be either in the original packaging or in re-closable plastic containers.