Swiss emergency VHF network

REGA (the Swiss Rescue service) operate a “public” VHF service for emergencies.

Pity we don’t have anything similar in the UK.

http://www.rega.ch/en/operations/additional-services/emergency-radio.aspx

Despite good Mobile phone coverage, the ability to have a VHF alternative, that other mountain users can monitor and relay if needed, is a great idea.

Gerald
MW0WML

In reply to MW0WML:

It’ll only bring out Playnet and the ambulance chasers and other swivel-eyed loons and give those who shouldn’t confidence to do things they aren’t competent to do.

Andy

In reply to MM0FMF:

Rather acid but not far from the truth…and after all, experience is only a short way of saying surviving your mistakes!

Most accidents and emergencies don’t happen on the tops, and VHF from the side of a big mountain will probably be no more effective than the mobile phone.

Brian

In reply to MW0WML:

Pity we don’t have anything similar in the UK.

The marine VHF radio uses about the same frequencies, but I do not know what is the practice for the Swiss navy. Should not be a problem to use those frequencies on costal areas in UK (with licence of course).

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to G8ADD:
Well maybe the Swiss have less ‘swivel eyed loons’. I believe (from discussions with other IMLs based in Switzerland) that this actually works rather well.

As per usual for Switzerland the misuse penalties are severe.

Gerald
MW0WML

In reply to 2W0GDA:

I think you’ll find they have fewer swivel-eyed loons.

If you need comms no matter where you are and a normal mobile phone wont cut it then spend a few bob on a handheld satellite phone. Solves the comms need in valleys or on summits. And they’re expensive enough to keep them out of the hands of the nutters.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
In fact people who visit “remote” areas are probably best using a Personal Locator Beacon. One off purchase and no further costs, other than a battery service every five years.

For example

I carry a PLB regularly, especially in Scotland.

The BIG disadvantage of these are that they are “one way”. You can only indicate you are in trouble and need assistance.

Gerald
MW0WML

In reply to 2W0GDA:
But when you have descended from the summit to that remote valley, where no VHF contact or phone signal is possible and you might just trip and sprain your ankle, strain your knee, or even break a leg, just how long do you want to wait, till someone realises you are missing.
My PLB is in my rucksac.
73 Jim G0CQK

In reply to 2W0GDA:

But the big advantage is that they are expensive enough to deter flipant use.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G0CQK:

I don’t see me splashing the cash on a device - comparable in price with a dual-band handy from one of the big three - on what is really a very remote possibility. We got by before this device appeared, we were careful and measured our risks before moving, accidents did happen, true, but the majority of people stayed safe throughout their active time in the hills. In my case, I had one incident in sixty years of climbing and hill-walking, when the snow gave way and dropped me a couple of metres into a stream-cut cavern - I would have been OK but in flexing my knees to land safely I banged one on a rock, giving me a slow and painful three miles to the hut. The PLB would have been of little use there! No, I see little value in guarding against a remote possibility by spending a couple of hundred quid on a device that will grow old and eventually be discarded without ever having been of use.

In the Alps, now, that might be different with the level of objective dangers being so much higher…

Brian G8ADD

Hi SOTA-Activators
In Switzerland you can also use the irega. This is a free app for IPhones and Android phones, which is transmitting the alarm and your GPS-Data (sse below) In 90 up to 95 percent you have data-access in Switzerland. In future if there is no data-access the app is using an other IPhone as a remote station which has internet-access!
a save tripp 73 de HB9BIN, Jürg

On raising the alarm, Rega’s free mobile app for iPhones and Android phones also transmits the caller’s current position. Thus valuable time can be saved in the event of an emergency in Switzerland or abroad.
The Rega app can be used in the event of an emergency both within Switzerland and beyond the national borders. Two finger clicks is all it takes to initiate the alarm. At the same time, the coordinates, together with the user’s personal data already stored in the application, are automatically transmitted to Rega’s Operations Centre and a telephone connection is set up. After speaking to the person who has raised the alarm, Rega launches the rescue.
A test alarm to practise for a real-life emergency
In order for the app’s Location Services function to work, the GPS signal needs to be enabled on the smartphone settings. Moreover, it is of particular importance that adequate mobile phone reception is available. In addition, the Rega app features a test alarm system, which allows users to practise for a real-life emergency.
The app also has its uses in everyday life - the additional map function displays the user’s current position or calculates the coordinates of a defined location and shows this data in various formats.

In reply to G8ADD:
This popped up too. Many more PLBs carried in New Zealand.

Also they have an interesting emergency radio network there too.
http://www.wmrs.org.nz/wmrsfaq.htm

Gerald
MW0WML

In reply to G8ADD:

Dear all,

I think that’s the point. In Switzerland with high to very high mountains (up to 4’634 m ü. M. or 15’203 ft) in the alps the risk of fast changing weather or getting into a snowstorm during the summer months is very high. Moreover climbing is also risky even with all necessary safety precautions. Therefore any appropriate communication solution for emergency situations or rescue is worth the money. I always take both the Rega-App on my ruggedized Android cellular phone and a 2m radio with me. You never know! I believe that an alpinist is responsible for his group, others in the immediate vicinity and last but not least for himself. The Swiss Alpine Club (http://www.sac-cas.ch) recommends in its mountaineering literature the VHF Rega rescue service. And mountain guides normally carry such a radio somewhere deep down in the backpack. (hi, hi)

Enjoy many safe SOTA expeditions and greetings from the Bernese Oberland
vy 73 de Lorenz, HB9DTN (member of the Swiss SOTA Group) http://www.hb9sota.ch/hb9dtn.html

In reply to HB9DTN:
Definitely agree all that Lorenz.

Gerald
MW0WML