SWINSIDE LD-057 - Private?

I was endeavouring to make time to activate Swinside LD-057 in the next couple of weeks, especially as many Chasers would want this one due to its rarity of activation. Only having been activated 3 times previously, last by Ian,G7KXV/P on the 28th August 2006.

However, I’ve read something resently which suggests the the access land and summit are private property. Can anyone shed light on this? Perhaps Ian could answer thec question one way or another.

73’s

Ian 2E0EDX

In reply to M3EDX:

Ian have a look at http://www.rhb.org.uk/marhofn/marhofn49/hallofsh.htm

Roger G4OWG

In reply to M3EDX:
Ian if you come from the public house, back to Keswick take the first right then first left, can’t remember the name of the house, the house is run by a manager ( Micheal something ) for the National Trust, He can give you permission to activate the summit, I tried last year but still waiting for a reply, Hope you have more fun than me, We must have better weather, as we have not had anyone in the UK acivating for a few weeks, ;-(

Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB :

as we have not had anyone in the UK acivating for a few weeks, ;-(

I didn’t realise Alex Salmond had declared UDI and GM was no longer part of the UK!

:slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I don’t know what “acivating” is but it sounds pretty illegal, immoral and fattening!

I must give it a go!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
In reply to MM0FMF:

These god damm glasses need changing, or I must read what I’m sendingbefore I sent it ;-p

It should have read activating ;;;;

someone knicked the “T” Hi Hi.

when is this rain going to stop.

Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB :

In reply to G8ADD:
In reply to MM0FMF:

when is this rain going to stop.

Steve m0sgb

Hopefully by the middle of the 3rd week in March - XYL and I want a few days away in the Morgan… (I’ll find a way to fit the FT-817 in ;o) ).

73 Graham G4FUJ

In reply to M3EDX:

“Only having been activated 3 times previously, last by Ian,G7KXV/P on the 28th August 2006.”

It has actually been activated 4 times in the past. ;-))

Youd probably die of old age waiting for permission. We jumped over the gate, ignoring the forest enterprise private signs. I would recommend doing it on a week day, (dont wear an orange kagoul).

I was lucky to qualify it on 2m, but that was using 50w of ssb to a beam on a weekend and even that was a struggle. I would recommend 40m/80m qro to a full size dipole if you intend to make the maximum numbers of chasers happy - anything else, in my opinion would be a waste of time. If you need it for a unique, take another op & work each other from outside the AZ.

Steve G1INK.

In reply to G1INK:

Hi Steve
Many thanks for your reply. The database only shows three activations being G3CW1/G7KXV and your goodself.
I think if we do this activation, it will be by using stealth tactics (minus the orange kagoul… hi!)and would be interested in the grid reference at which point you accessed the route to the summit.
Noted on bands/modes to both qualify and please all and the advice of working others directly outside the AZ, three of us would be activating on the day.
50w 2m SSB can be used with a beam and a dipole might be available also on the bands you make mention to.

73’s
Ian 2E0EDX

In reply to G4OWG:

Hi Roger

Exactly what I had read previously, hence my posting. Many thanks though for posting the link informing all.

73’s
Ian 2E0EDX

In reply to M3EDX:
Ian - the grid was approx either NY244218 or NY247223. Think it was 2nd of those grids. Theres a large gate (locked) and a track which stops short of the summit by about 30m, the last bit is a scramble through bracken but should be ok this time of year. Its not marked on the o.s. 1:50,000 map, but is on the Harveys 1:40,000. Its also just about visible on google earth. I think theres probably a gamekeeper there at times looking after the pheasants. I know nothing about game shooting, so cant advise best time to avoid him. Ive heard it`s a hot spot for ticks, so take precautions if the wx warms up. On 2m the best direcion would be just West of North over Bassenthwaite Lake and the Southern Uplands towards Glasgow. Hope you work lots of chasers.
Steve.

In reply to G1INK:
FYI: Pheasant shooting ends on 1 February and it is likely any keeper will check feeders about once per week over the breeding season until new poults arrive.

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to G1INK:

You`d probably die of old age waiting for permission. We jumped over
the gate, ignoring the forest enterprise private signs.

General rule 3.7 ???

In reply to M1MAJ:

We only followed in the footsteps of a member of the Management Team.
I don`t think any of the chasers minded - except perhaps those who missed us.