SW-3B-QRP-CW-TRX

Does your SW-3B behave like Iambic B? If I squeeze and let go I get an “r” where I’d normally expect an “a”. I find working with B type very confusing and I have to work my paddles as, if they were a single paddle key, because any attempts at squeezing give me addition errors.

I never analyzed this too much, but I am used to B (having used MTRs for a while, where I have no selection between A/B as in KX-series). I believe it is B.

There’s a SW-5B (or 6B) in the works…

Repackaged my kit-built MTR5b in a mint tin with clear plastic lid
…now weighs 120grams 5-bands 5W! ~ de wGOAT

14 Likes

Vaporware for now. They told me that they have no expected release date due to other more pressing projects that they are focused on.

Hi,

I just discovered this same problem on a SOTA activation last weekend. I had been using EFLW (41 feet) via 9:1 UnUn to a KX2 , no problems tuning on bands 10-40m. I switched to using my SW-3B and maAT-10 tuner. No problem on 20m or 30m , tunes quickly. I tried 40m and as soon as I TX within a second the SW-3B stops transmitting so cannot tune wire. I added wire to 58 feet but same result. At first I suspected maAT-10 but checked at home on my 40m dipole and vertical and the SW-3B/maAT-10 combo works fine on 40m. So, I suspect RF from the EFLW getting back in to the radio is the issue. I have added several clip on ferrites to the RG174 patch leads between the 9:1 Unun, maAT-10 and SW-3B and will try it out on a summit next weekend and hopefully this will allow 40m operation. Will post results .

Declan

seen today for 104€ on ebay.de

https://www.ebay.de/itm/SW-3B-QRP-CW-Transceiver-40m-30m-20m-5W-12V-ideal-fur-SOTA-und-Portabel/124379454031?hash=item1cf597da4f:g:9p8AAOSw81Rfg2A1

Seems almost too good to be true … …

1 Like

Seems almost too good to be true … …

It’s an auction so this is not the final price. The starting price was 1 EUR.

1 Like

Sooooo… has anyone actually used this radio? How do you like it?
I’m still considering this one.

Gary W5GDW

I am using this equipment since June. It is very light, it consumes very little, I am very happy with it. Really very appropriate for sota activations.
EA1AER
Juan

4 Likes

I got the same Juan, and it is very tiny and easy to use it.
72. Manu.

1 Like

Well lockdown got in the way of the test but got out today and with the clip on ferrites no more problems

3 Likes

Hello
YAESU FT-817ND vs SW-3B
The two transceivers are completely different, but …
I made this comparison to spend time at home. :slight_smile:

https://vimeo.com/510255376

3 Likes

Hi All
Has anybody compared the SW-3B with any of the LNR Mountain topper radios please?
I am looking for a compact 20-30-40m 5w radio for a super light trail pack whilst on an extended multi week walk (whenever the madness is over). $188 vs $349 (plus shipping and taxes), is the Mtr worth the extra funding? I am only an occasional CW op and have other multi band radios I can use when weight is less of an issue.
Thanks
Tim

I haven’t looked at the bidders list for a while but I assume you’ve bid for the ATB-4B being auctioned for SOTA funds. 80/40/30/20/15m @ 5W or so. Sounds like it is what you are looking for.

Full details in the pinned message at the top of the reflector. .

1 Like

Richard has done a very good review of the SW-3B:

It’s not really a direct comparison, you might have to decide for yourself if things like AGC and dial VFO justify the extra weight. Basically, if weight is your number one priority, for which you are prepared to sacrifice everything else, then the MTR3b is your best bet.

73 de OE6FEG
             Matt
2 Likes

Hi Matt
In my opinion the least important is the 44 grams difference.
Gomes CT1HIX

Hi Tim
They are “minimalist” transceivers so the differences will never be too big

Gomes CT1HIX

Thanks Andy, Matt and Gomes
Just had a work-from-home look at the video review, looks like a contender.
The MTR is not available in the UK at present - we have Interco transport in place with the day job, so could get hold of one, it may take a while though.
The ATB-4B is also a nice radio - temptation…
This purchase is for a one off long distance hike, and the forced CW only mode is what I need just now. Since the first UK lock down I have been practising CW every day. Not used CW in anger really since about 1987 until recently.
(Sorry for hijacking the thread)
Thanks
Tim

I put together a features comparison in this thread - with the MTR-3B (currently not on sale). See above the full discussion. The MTR-5B (2nd gen, currently on sale) is heavier, but fixes one of the most common complaints about the MTR radios: the acceptable voltage range. If the MTR-3B gets manufactured again, I assume it will include this improvement.

MTR-3B & SW-3B comparison