Svalbard (JW) SOTA DX-pedition 5-8 August 2021

JX is a dream :))! I can see you in Lauris’s log, he was running 10W. On 30m I ran 50W and had a feeling og missing PA :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for a great activation from JW/MS-007 today.
First a QSO on 14 MHz SSB with JW/LB1RH and later with JW/LB8CG on 14 MHz CW but there is my call wrong in the log.It should be SM5LNE not SM5LNI.The contact was 10.53 Z on 14 MHz CW.

73 de Jan SM5LNE

I’m not jealous. :lying_face:
73 Matt

2 Likes

I will fix it and reupload later today. Sorry ft857 without crystal filter is not optimal rig for cw, will probably pack kx3 on Saturday.

Mikhail,
Thanks very much and I understand it is difficult without a crystal filter in the rig.For sure the KX3 will work better.
I hope to work you both on Saturday.
Enjoy the stay and take care.
To you both,hanks for a great activation from JW !

73 de Jan SM5LNE

Will you be activating on Sunday?

Yes, it will be JW/MS-087, JW/MS-051. Order and ETA is somehow uncertain, I guess we will be at the first summit around 9.30 UTC. It’s good mobile coverage in that area, so we will spot us for sure.

How many s2s you worked Mikhail ?

73, Éric

Not many, I got EA2CCG and Lauris got LA5WNA. Probably due to large pile-up and ended summer vacation season for many. I think it will be more on Saturday. Tomorrow minor geomagnetic storm is preficted, hope it will settle down til Saturday.

2 Likes

Takk for s2s QSO ble overrasket da jeg hørte hvor sterke signalene var fra dere, jeg brukte 10w og dipol. Var akkurat ferdig med min aktivering og det var kjempeforhold mot Europa og fikk selv en stor pileup. La/ol-181 ligger bare et par km fra hytta så jeg hadde planlagt å prøve derfra. Lykke til videre.
LA5WNA Odd Harald

2 Likes

I heard very well LB8CG from my camping place in the south of France with QCX-mini and dipole on 20 m. Unfortunately, there was a lot of station with “heavy gun” i.e. KW , no chance to contact you in QRP. Hope the next time. TU for this activation. Perhaps you can chose a frequency near 14.060, if you can.

3 Likes

Well done guys, great activity!
Lauris was very weak on SSB but readable.
Mikhail was real 579 in Munich on my 2el. Yagi.
There are some bugs in your logs:
Lauris 09:42 9N5MX should be 9A5MX Sven (my son, worked you remote from 9A1TT)
Mikhail 11:05 KT1ILT should be CT1ILT (Filipe)
Tomorrow I’ll be QRV from DL/CG-027 @1283m and hope for S2S with you :slightly_smiling_face:
73 and have fun!
Mario DJ2MX (9A4MX,N0MX,E73DX)

3 Likes

Thanks, I suspected some wrong calls, will fix when back to Oslo, will take KX3 tomorrow, hope for better CW rx :slight_smile:

Yes, better luck just now with JW/LB1RH using just 4.5W. I’m sat in a field 0.5 km from my house to get a lower noise level and apparently I shouted “yes yes yeeees” so loud a lady who’s garden backs on to the field came to see what was so exciting. She also heard Lauris and was impressed!

9 Likes

I can’t copy you at all on 20m… :sob:

17 metres was dead here today. I couldn’t hear SSB on 20 metres well enough to work. CW on 20 metres was audible some of the time, but the QSB was quite deep, and the pile-up was pretty manic for a while. Now someone else is on that frequency. Maybe tomorrow…

Guru I could hear Manuel EA2DT and Jorge EA2LU calling but I wasn’t sure if they got a QSO and Jose EA7GV was 59+60. I heard Simon GM4JXP/P get an S2S as well, Simon on either backscatter or groundwave was louder than JW/LB8CG! This was all 20m SSB. For a long time neither JW stations were workable to begin with on 20m, I knew they were there but they were unworkable and there were plenty of chasers.

I listened on 18.071 CW and nada but some chasers calling them. Then I thought I’d try 20m later and Lauris was calling CQ and nobody was answering. I called and realised the links were on 18m, rushed around pushing them in for 20m, heard him call and worked him first call getting a 44 report for 4.5W SSB to an inverted V dipole at 4.75m.

Of course it rained a lot so everything got wet and not hearing them made me feel it was a waste of effort. But the rain stopped and it’s very warm here so most of the gear dried out whilst I was hoping for propagation to improve. I think I spent about 90mins in the field in total.

4 Likes

Congrats, Andy, for that patiently chased JW SOTA.
Waiting for conditions to improve often pays off.
I was busy preparing things for a possible activation I want to try this afternoon and I missed their pass on 20m ssb and 17m cw.
My friend Alf EA4R sent through our whatsapp group a comment about JW being copied very weak and only then I realised they were on air. They were spotted on 20m CW, I went there, tried to hear them with my broadband folded dipole (the deaf-pole) and nada. Switched to my tribander yagi stuck to the West and nada… as expected.
The yagi stuck to the West usually gives me better performance than de deaf-pole to work UK, EI, OY and TF, but JW is much further NorthEast and the signal will arrive to the ends-rear ends of my yagi, the worst scenario unfortunately.
I chased Simon @GM4JXP with very good signal on 10m SSB with my broadband dipole and his signal was better than on my yagi, which has 4 active elements on that band. However, I don’t think I would copy JW on 10m. But 15m/17m may have given better chances.
Well, it’s not the end of the World.
Congrats again and I hope to have a good activation as soon as the football Olimpic final I’m watching now between Brasil and Spain ends.

Guru

2 Likes

I heard nothing on 17 metres today.
20 metres was very difficult. The easiest was the first contact from Hiortfjellet. The signal went actually up to 55 10 minutes after I worked Lauris. It had been only 51 at the time of the contact.
The contact with Adventtoppen was only possible after a long struggle. Most of the time the station was buried in the QRM. 2/1 at best. I managed to get into the log after many many attempts when Lauris signal came up a bit and the QRM from neighboring stations had died down.
No signal at all on 40 metres.

Many thanks for the activations- I will try again tomorrow!

Hi Guru, thanks for the chase on 10 today and your WhatsApp message produced another 2 I think. The Es was very limited - I only heard Spain and a few Italian stations. 6m was open earlier but fizzled out before I could get my Moxon up. 73 Simon

1 Like