Sunday afternoon

…is when the 6m Backpackers Contest will be on. In the (unlikely) event that I can wangle a passout I will be on a hill (SP-013) for a short while during the event. Anybody else be about?

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Myself and Mrs. FMF will be on Cademuir Hill SS-219 and White Meldon SS-208 but I doubt we’ll be workable as the only 6m antenna I have is the 817’s duck. Still, worth a tune about in case I can give a point or two away.

I pointed out to the boss that White Meldon is one of those hills with a trig point with a rare 5 digit FB. She looked at me and rolled her eyes as she contemplated the fact that not only is she married to a radio ham but that he’s the kind of baffoon facinated by trig points and their details! :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:

…depends whether the 88ft Norcal doublet will tune on 6m… Let’s see.

73 Marc GØAZS

In reply to G0AZS:

No reason why it should not - down to the ATU really. However, being several wavelengths long it will have lots of lobes which will make its performance a bit unpredictable.

Richard

In reply to G3CWI:

For info the pattern is here:

http://www.sotabeams.co.uk/norcal_doublet.htm

Assumes 88ft top, 15 ft above ground. Horizontal.

It is not very reactive at that frequency and the resistive part is about 150 Ohms so any decent tuner will match it.

Richard

In reply to MM0FMF:

Andy,

If you have a multiband dipole for HF, then try that. Mine works fine on 6m using the 7MHz length and rather surprisingly also the 5MHz and 10MHz lengths. I worked down to Stoke from SB-005 on 70cms with that antenna as well, when there was nowt on the whip… where needs must!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

I’ll give the 7MHz dipole a bash and see how it behaves. Just doing two easy one pointers on Sunday, more for the walk in the outdoors than anything else. Since starting this here SOTA lark, I get cabin fever if I don’t get out at the weekend. I blame Richard, I used to be able to laze about like a big bloater!

Ayyway I’ve got some bigger stuff planned for August, a proper Scottish 10 pointer at 1214m amongst others. Not like some of these hills were you park the car, stroll to a picnic table, set up and get 10 points whilst having a picnic and a beer. :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy and company i hope to work you on Sunday as like you iam going out on a one pointer summit Largo Law GM/SS-259 and then maybe east lomond on the way home to my home qth of north glenrothes in fife ive allready done east lomond but thought i would pop on it for the chasers

looking forward to your trips in august to ben lawyers and the others

have a nice day out with the good lady andy and yes trig points are a bad subject here in my household aswell (hi hi )

all the best Gordon MM3XGP
PS: Nice to see some scottish activations happening

In reply to MM3XGP:

OK Gordon, FB on Largo Law, I’ll listen out for you on 2m. I’ve just checked the route profile and the direct path from Cademuir to Largo Law crosses right over the summit of Dundreich at 662m. That’s about 250m higher than Cademuir. Let’s hope we can work the path.

I did East and West Lomond last February. West Lomond is a nice walk but it was rather busy. They should get a turnstile fitted at the bottom of the path and then you could take a ticket and wait till it’s your turn to ascend! :wink: East Lomond was even busier.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:

Pouring with rain here again so no 6m.

Richard