Summits on the borderline-doubled points?

Some days ago I hiked to the Grosse Sulzfluh, OE/VB-049. There is a second refNr. from Switzerland HB/GR-120. Easily I could have put my radio over the borderline and work some qso´s from there as well. Only to make doubled points?

Many mountains have two, a view more refNrs. Are there any regulations?

73,de arno OE9AMJ

In reply to OE9AMJ:

SOTA General Rule 3.7.1.13 states -

“Where the mountain peak has been issued a reference number in two or more Associations, the Activator may claim points each Association provided that the Operating Position is always within the jurisdiction of the appropriate Association. Unless the licensing regulations decree otherwise, the position of the Operator is deemed to be the Operating Position. The same peak may be activated for points once per year in each Association.”

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to OE9AMJ:

I am sumwhat confused because my understanding was that the first country to register a summit for SOTA claimed it. One example is the Zugspitze DL/WS-001, this summit straddles the Germany / Austria border and only seems to be registered in Germany. I think that this summit is also in the Tirol region of Austria but as far as I can tell not registered there for SOTA. I have worked as a chaser activators that have crossed over the border to work the same summit from two different countries so there does seem to be some inconsistency.

73 Nick G4OOE

In reply to G4OOE:

The current situation is that where the summit is exactly on the border both Associations may claim it. If an Association only has a share of the AZ it may not claim it. In the case of the Zugspitze I believe the summit is on the German side of the border, which is a little to the west of it.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

If that`s the case Brian - why did we lose Black Mountain to Wales to give us even less summmits?
(I know we must adhere slavishly to the RHB lists.)

In reply to G4OOE:

The Zugspitze consists of three actual summits. The west and middle summits straddle the German-Austrian border, whilst the east summit (the highest) is completely within German territory. A full description is available at Zugspitze - Wikipedia and makes interesting reading.

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G1INK:

The summit was re-surveyed and the highest point was found to be on the Welsh side of the border so the summit was re-allocated to Wales. If the border is ever re-aligned to pass through the new highest point then the summit will appear in both Associations - one can hope!

Brian G8ADD

PS Think yourself lucky the Welsh language mafia haven’t re-named it, too! :wink:

In reply to G1INK:

give us even less summmits?

Surely you mean fewer summits. :wink:

I know we must adhere slavishly to the RHB lists

The same thing will happen when (if?) the HuMPS award gets going. I recall changes to HuMP status are much more frequent than Marilyn changes. Mike will have his work cut out modifying web pages and database tables just like we do here if he wants to keep the award objective.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G8ADD:

In the Nuttall’s original list this was a Welsh only summit. It was possible the joint status was an error by the RHB which they corrected in 2007.

language mafia haven’t re-named it

I might have only noticed this recently but signs in the Crianlarich area have been Gaelicised with the A82/A85 junction now sporting a sign saying.

“A82 Glaschu / Glasgow”

Anndra
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to G8ADD:

In the Nuttall’s original list this was a Welsh only summit. It was
possible the joint status was an error by the RHB which they corrected
in 2007.

language mafia haven’t re-named it

I might have only noticed this recently but signs in the Crianlarich
area have been Gaelicised with the A82/A85 junction now sporting a
sign saying.

“A82 Glaschu / Glasgow”

Anndra
MM0FMF

Glaschu! That’s as bad as Wrecsam!

On the 1:25000 map the English/Welsh border runs right along the centre of the ridge of Black Mountain, on the evidence of the map both countries have an equal right to the summit. If the highest point is in Wales then that settles it but I would want a close look at the survey results, particularly how wide their claimed error bars are! However by the evidence of the map and our current rules the summit would be in both Associations if it were not for the fact that we have settled on the RHB as final arbiter.

Brian G8ADD

It is desirable if only one association claims a border summit. However, it is both difficult and inappropriate to impose that demand on two foreign countries that may also have different scoring bands to each other.

The option to “adhere slavishly” to the RHB lists is without doubt one of the major advantages of administering SOTA in the UK. The Black Mountain move from England to Wales was certainly one of the more quirky RHB changes we have followed, but it has at least given several of us an extra unique!

Tom M1EYP

Peel Fell?

Thanks Andy for explanation below, John.

In reply to G4YSS:

Peel Fell?

The AZ straddles the border but the summit is in G. So it’s a G summit but you can activate it with a GM call.

Likewise Larriston Fell SS-161. The AZ straddles the border but the summit is in GM. You can activate it with a G call if you wander to the far edge of the AZ.

The border has to straddle the summit, not the AZ straddle the border.

Andy
MM0FMF