Summit listing problems

The summit listings are still missing the count of activations and the individual summit pages are all saying that no activations have taken place.

Could the MT please confirm that this is being looked into and let us have an estimate of when they expect it to be fixed please.

And before someone tries to shoot me down by saying it is all being done by volunteers in their free time, I know this, but that does not negate my questions.

Colin G8TMV

In reply to G8TMV:

The summit listings are still missing the count of activations and the
individual summit pages are all saying that no activations have taken
place.

Hi Colin,

You can check the SOTA database for the activation history of each summit.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to G8TMV:

Could the MT please confirm that this is being looked into and let us have an
estimate of when they expect it to be fixed please.

Yes. Soon.

Andy
MM0FMF

Jaakko is right of course. All the data is still there, and available to all. Just go to http://database.sota.org.uk - or click on Database above.

It is only the communication from the database to the SOTAwatch website that is currently out of action. So just go and get the information you need “straight from the horse`s mouth” so to speak. If you need any help with this, just let me know.

Any glitches or outages such as this, or the apostrophe saga, are usually very temporary in the grand scheme of things.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to F5VGL:

You can check the SOTA database for the activation history of each
summit.

That does not include the information about which ones I have activated or chased.

Colin G8TMV

In reply to M1EYP:

Any glitches or outages such as this, or the apostrophe saga, are
usually very temporary in the grand scheme of things.

I realise that, but it has been wrong for more than a week now and no status updates have been forthcoming.

Incidentally, I am also being hit by the apostrophe problem - has anyone actually explained what is wrong there?

Colin G8TMV

In reply to G8TMV:

Relax; its a hobby. Every minute the MT spend responding to your questions is a minute less that they have to spend on fixing things for everyone else.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G8TMV:

That does not include the information about which ones I have
activated or chased.

Your memory must be REALLY bad if you cannot remember all nine summits you have activated !!!

Les, G3VQO

In reply to G8TMV:
Database
view results
my activator uniques
or
my chaser uniques

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G8TMV:

Activated

27/Jun/2010 G/SE-001 (Walbury Hill)
18/Jul/2010 G/SE-005 (Botley Hill)
25/Jul/2010 G/CE-004 (Bardon Hill)
12/Aug/2010 G/CE-005 (Wendover Woods)
16/Oct/2010 G/SE-013 (Detling Hill)
20/Nov/2010 G/TW-005 (Normanby Top)
28/Dec/2010 G/CE-001 (Cleeve Hill)
26/Feb/2011 G/SE-006 (Ditchling Beacon)
28/Apr/2011 GM/SS-066 (Beinn aMhanaich)

Chased

25/Jul/2010 GW/NW-036 Tarrenhendre
25/Jul/2010 GW/NW-054 Penycloddiau
25/Jul/2010 GW/SW-001 Pen y Fan
22/Aug/2010 GM/NS-135 Cnoc Corr Guinie
04/Sep/2010 G/LD-018 Stony Cove Pike
16/Oct/2010 OK/PL-003 Jezerní hora
13/Nov/2010 SV/AT-035 Perati
13/Nov/2010 W1/CR-003 Dry Hill
13/Nov/2010 W2/GC-104 Table Mountain
20/Nov/2010 LA/TM-017 Store Havsåsen
20/Nov/2010 DM/NW-218 Windsberg
28/Apr/2011 G/CE-003 Bredon Hill
28/Apr/2011 GM/SI-007 Caisteal Abhail
28/Apr/2011 G/LD-033 Lords Seat

In reply to G8TMV:

has anyone actually explained what is wrong there?

No. But Ive a pretty good idea why you cant use apostrophes. However, I won`t explain it on the reflector.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4OWG & G3VQO:

Yes, I know that - but you are both (deliberately I suspect) missing the point. There are fields on the listing that are not working. Regardless of other ways of getting the information I am asking when those fields will be working again! Now please either make constructive comments or none.

Colin G8TMV

Colin

To be fair, Roger G4OWGs post was constructive, in that he explained an alternative way of gleaning the information you required while the feature wasnt operational on SOTAwatch.

Les G3VQO`s post may not have been so constructive, but it was a welcome piece of light-heartedness in a day otherwise soured by two dreadfully poor televised football matches (that I was looking forward to).

As neither are members of the MT, I doubt either could provide the definitive answers you require. But MT member Andy MM0FMF has already provided these earlier in the thread, so you know where it is at.

Tom M1EYP
[happy, because just fixed the problem with the EA4 Database update - with MM0FMF`s help of course]

In reply to M1EYP:

Guys, I do apologise for the inconvenience.

We had to move SOTAwatch to a separate server as an emergency measure. This server does not have the drivers necessary for talking to the database which is held elsewhere on a different database platform and also has a setting which affects the handling of apostrophes that cannot easily be changed without adversely affecting other users of the new server.

The first issue should be dealt with as soon as I can successfully beg one of our techies to give an hour or two of his time setting it up. Getting the site dealt with and moved took out many, many hours of time over several days from techies who were already under huge pressure from other sources. I am unwilling to trespass too much further on their good will.

The other one may be dependant on me getting a few hours coding to modify much of the form handling on SOTAwatch.

Unfortunately both of these are affected by us going through a brutally busy period in our business at the moment.

73, Jon

(2nd attempt to submit without apostrophes lol)

In reply to GM4ZFZ:

SOTAwatch’s reflector hasn’t been able to accept apostrophes.

Let’s see if we’re now in a better place and whether we can’t now post something like:

The spelling fo’c’s’le, contracted from the nautical term forecastle, is unusual for having three apostrophes. The spelling bo’s’n’s (from boatswain’s), as in Bo’s’n’s Mate, also has three apostrophes, two showing omission and one possession. Fo’c’s’le may also take a possessive s – as in the fo’c’s’le’s timbers – giving four apostrophes in one word.

If this posts then I would hope this problem is resolved.

Also, the summit activity is back on the summits pages.

73, Jon

In reply to GM4ZFZ:

I made a test with french accents, it works.
Many thanks for the good job to those who found the bug

Alain F6ENO

In reply to GM4ZFZ:

Thank’s very much for resolving these problems Jon, it took me some time to go through the activation report I posted last night changing all the apostrophes Hi!

It is very nice to have the link to the database restored too :slight_smile:

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to GM4ZFZ:

Also, the summit activity is back on the summits pages.

Thanks, nice that everything’s back working again.

Colin G8TMV

In reply to post by GM4ZFZ on 17th May 2011 at 03:48:

Whoo! Burning a bit of midnight oil there! Thanks for fixing things. :slight_smile:

73, Rick M0LEP.

In reply to GM4ZFZ:

Well done Jon, you’ve put a smile on many faces! Thanks for all the hard work, not just in respect of these recent issues, but over time as you maintain the system we have all come to appreciate. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG