Sumits in Cyprus only in 2m band ?

Hello, i intend to make a trip to Cyprus, but i prefer to take on the airplane only my handheld trx witch have 2m and 70cm band. Any chance to make successful activation only in these bands?
Maybe any ham radio form Cyprus can writes few words about this. Thank you ! yo8xcm

5 Likes

I found a list of six 2 m repeaters on Cyprus. They may not all be operational but I suggest you put their frequencies, offsets and tones in the memory of your hand held radio. Do the same for 70 cm

Then check in on these and ask for a simplex report when in the AZ.

It might help if you can find a SOTA operator from there by checking the data base and use QRZ.com to get his email for corresponding.

Just a suggestion if nothing else comes up before you go.

Ron
VK3AFW.

2 Likes

It might be a good idea to contact the Cyprus Radio society, cars@cyhams.org (or cyprushams@gmail.com this was the one I used but it may be out of date now) ,I did this in Dec 2017 before Sota was available on the island ,they were friendly and very helpful, at that time the majority of 2m operation was digital. It would probably be a good idea to look at their website https://www.cyhams.org/wp/?page_id=1250.
Hope this helps
Colin
G8JSM

3 Likes

In April i had 2 S2S contacts to 5B4APL

Unfortunately, he is not active here and he does not enter anything in the database.

Nevertheless he has a SOTA blog

Maybe you can reach him and get first hand info.

73 Armin

1 Like

5B4APL does enter logs in to the SOTA database, as @AI4SV (logbook)

3 Likes

We walked to a lot of peaks, unfortunately 2 m - clear, the highest peak is 2000 m and a surprise 2 m worked but my friends were from Beirut. It’s not easy on kf / qrp either. We wish you a propagation …
SQ9not SQ9mdf

1 Like