Suggestions for a 2m roll-up vertical antenna

The bracket has the antenna, a helical counterpoise and a PL259 (ugh) socket output; the antenna elements unscrew. I run a coax from the antenna to my handheld via a BNC (or SMA connector) at the rig end.

If it wasn’t dark (and precipitating at biblical levels) I would pop out to the shack and put up a photo

That’s okay Barry, I wouldn’t want you to be washed away in the flood.

I’ll use a SMA Male to BNC Female Plug Adapter Antenna Pigtail Cable 13" cable. The 13" is a bit short for my liking but the BNC is a chassis-mounting type. So, my plan is to mount the BNC on an L-shaped bracket and bolt that to a big bulldog clip I have.

EDIT UPDATE:
I’ve thought of a better solution. I’ll use a chassis-mounting BNC-f to BNC-f adapter which I’ll mount on the L-shaped bracket. That way I can use a (longer) standard BNC-m to BNC-m coax cable between that adapter and the BNC-to-SMA adapter on the HT.

I saw some one do that on a summit earlier this year. Worked really well.
Compton

2 Likes

Andy, I want to build 2m and 6m Rollup-Jpoles soon! For 2m/70cm purchased I have had very good results with the N9TAX Rollup Jpole ($25) available on eBay I have used it on 50+ activations and it still looks new, it actually is proving to be better than my Diamond xt30a vertical ($70) from my home QTH. I don’t know if he ships overseas but if you are interested in one I’ll send you one of my spares.

Hi Erik, thanks for the offer but as I said in posting #10 above, I bought a US-made roll-up J-pole about a year ago, and since then I’ve used it on numerous activations with excellent signal reports. I carry the J-pole in the original padded jiffy bag in which it was shipped from the US and I’ve deployed this antenna so many times that I’ve had to sellotape [scotch-tape] the jiffy bag all over - the J-pole itself still looks and behaves like new.

73 Andy

2 Likes

I’ll second the EDZ. They work very well - noticeably better than a JPole in my experience. Easy to hang from a pole.

3 Likes

How’s the SWR reading?

The SWR is really good (depending on how you place the antenna) … and the bandwidth is very high.

73 Armin

Hello, very good idea @DL6GCA , I made one and use my carbon trekking poles as a mast.
73 José

1 Like

Hi,

tested yesterday in veleta, perfect.

2 Likes