SSTV activation anyone?

Did we ever determine a definitive / acceptable answer to what constitutes a SOTA SSTV QSO?

Does it require / is it normal to use all 4 transactions described above in SSTV mode? Or is the norm for each party to send an image & confirm reception via another mode / means (SSB voice or even external comms via email)

1 Like

Out of interest, ChatGPT says the following (but I’d be interested in a real human answer!):

Not all messages in an SSTV QSO are sent as SSTV images. While the main exchange of images is done using SSTV (Slow Scan Television) technology, some parts of the communication may be conducted using SSB (Single Sideband) or other voice modes.

Here’s a breakdown of how different parts of an SSTV QSO are typically exchanged:

1. CQ Call: The CQ call is often done using voice communication, such as SSB. The operator will call out “CQ SSTV” or something similar to indicate they are looking for SSTV contacts.

2. Call Signs: The call signs are usually exchanged using voice communication as well, particularly during the initial contact setup. The operators will spell out their call signs using the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) phonetic alphabet to ensure accurate identification.

3. Signal Reports: Signal reports can be exchanged using voice or a combination of voice and SSTV. For example, an operator may verbally report the signal quality and strength while simultaneously sending an SSTV image displaying a “599” (excellent signal) or other code to represent the signal report.

4. SSTV Images: The primary purpose of the SSTV QSO is the exchange of images, and this part is carried out using SSTV technology.

5. Comments and Greetings: Operators may use a combination of SSTV images and voice communication to exchange comments, greetings, and other information during the QSO. For instance, an operator may send an SSTV image with a message and then discuss it verbally.

6. Closing and Goodbye: The closing part of the QSO can also involve a mix of SSTV images and voice communication. Operators may send an image displaying a “73” (farewell) or “88” (hugs and kisses) while verbally saying goodbye.

The use of voice communication alongside SSTV is common in amateur radio, especially during the setup and conclusion of the QSO, and when exchanging certain information that is more efficiently conveyed through speech. However, the heart of the SSTV QSO, which is the image exchange, is always done using SSTV technology.

What I’ve been doing is as follows (this made sense to me, and may well not be convention):

1. Self-spot the frequency and SSTV mode on SOTAwatch.

2. Send the image with CQ on it.

3. Receive an image from other station with their call and report.

4. Send image with my report to other station.

5. RX image with confirmation and 73.

6. Send image with 73 and SOTA reference.

The sequence is depicted towards the end of this thread: SOTA SSTV

1 Like

Tom’s sequence is what I used to do with MMSSTV.

As an aside its worth mentioning that with the digital SSTV programs that I used to play with on 2m you could also put images into the waterfall, ranging from a simple callsign or location to a monochrome picture, and the program would automatically call for a resend of missed or damaged sections of the image. The nets using SSTV on 2m died out as activity faded on the band but it would be of interest to find out if there is any similar digital SSTV on the HF bands.

1 Like

Some SSTV coming up from The Cloud G/SP-015 this afternoon…

Or not.

Like on Sunday morning, I failed to make any SSTV or indeed FT4/8 contacts. I spent some time investigating and found that although the system was receiving and deciding signals through the cables and interface, and keying the rig into transmit mode, there appeared to be no power out.

I checking the audio settings on the laptop - selection of USB Codec, output levels etc - and on the 817 - dig gain, DIG mode etc.

My only suspicion is that I need to replace the 6-pin mini DIN cable. If it’s not that then I’m stumped. It was all working FB in GM 7 days ago.

1 Like

It was the cable. Replaced it with a new one, and all now working FB.

Calling on SSTV now - 14.227 Robot 24 - no takers yet.

Want to see what this summit looks like? Tune in to 14.227!

2 Likes

Glad you’ve fixed the hardware issue Tom.

Nothing heard here on 14.230 though, sorry.

73, Simon

1 Like

I was on 14.227. I am on 230 now though.

1 Like

Unfortunately seen too late. Could have worked.

I will also try an SSTV spot next week.

73 Chris

1 Like

My Android app only knows Robot 36 or 72

1 Like