Spotting the frequency with APRS

hi there,

on the two activations today i tried to spot my actual frequency via my aprs-beacon. it seemed to work well and so i will use APRS for spotting my operating frequency on the next summits. i hope that the chasers will look for my APRS callsign (OE5REO-7) on aprs.fi - live APRS map

here is the data of my APRS beacons today:

normally i am spotting myself with my mobile phone, but the reception often is not very good in the mountain areas. APRS on the other hand works quite well in my area.

btw … i will only send APRS beacons from the summit, not during ascent/descent!

hope to hear you soon again … a short report of the activation of oe/oo-271 and oe/oo-276 is on my webpage.

73 de martin
http://www.oe5reo.at

In reply to OE5REO:
Good idea…I will watch for you.

Why not run the packet during ascent/decent? If you did perhaps we would have a better idea of when you will get to the top…

Also, what are you using for portable APRS?

Tom-N2YTF

hi tom,

the reason i’m not running it during ascent/decent is simple: i don’t have a gps connected to my yaesu vx-8 … i store the coordinates of the summit on my handheld in advance.

i know that there is a optional gps-microphone available for the vx-8 but i think it’s too expensive and i’m not planning to buy that piece of equipment.

but maybe i should consider to send some aprs-beacons with the info:

“qrv in 15 minutes”, “reaching the summit in 15 minutes” (or something like that).

i have the handheld inside my backpack during walking, maybe i should try to attach it to the outside of the backpack!?

your opinions are welcome …

martin
www.oe5reo.at

In reply to OE5REO:

but i think it’s too expensive

Yes it is!

One of the problems we have is the manufacturers have lowered the price of the basic radio and increased the cost of the accessories. So you can buy the radio for not too much money but things like a softcase, a speaker mike and a programming lead can cost more than 50% of the cost of the radio. The dealers and manufacturers make a big profit on the accessories to help keep the cost of the radio down.

I expect it wont be too long before someone sniffs the comms between the GPS mike and the radio and publishes the data stream. That way it should be possible to use one of the many small tracker GPS units or a normal GPS with the VX-8 (or Icom D-STAR handhelds).

Andy
W6/MM0FMF

In reply to OE5REO:
Martin…

One of these days we should try a summit to summit APRS packet message…drop me an email next time you have an activation planned…

I would really get a kick out of a summit to summit aprs message. Last time someone tried to message me from Europe to my ht it did not go through…although I have made the trip in teh past…

Tom-N2YTF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I expect it wont be too long before someone sniffs the comms between
the GPS mike and the radio and publishes the data stream. That way it
should be possible to use one of the many small tracker GPS units or a
normal GPS with the VX-8 (or Icom D-STAR handhelds).

Shocking! In my innocence, I had presumed they would just be using NMEA strings or some other standard-ish protocol. Not relly in the amateur spirit of things (homebrewing etc), is it?

I’d love a VX-8, but Satan will be skating to work before I can afford one!

Dave M0MYA

In reply to 2E0BTR:

I’d love a VX-8, but Satan will be skating to work before I can afford one!

£255 inc. taxes out here. Which makes people it hard for people like Waters & Stanton to justify why they sell them for £380 inc vat.

Andy
W6/MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Look at the new alinco tri band handy - approx £369 here, £200 Stateside.
Good old rip-off Britain.

In reply to G1INK:

To be fair some of the price difference comes from the Yen<>Pound vs Yen<>Dollar exchange rate. Then Pound fell some 25% against the Yen over the last year and that has pushed up Japanese goods. Then there’s guarantee periods and supplied accessories and this and that so it’s not a fair apples to apples comparison. More like comparing apples to monkeys! Even when you factor those variations in there is still a difference in price.

Capitalism! Can’t live with it and nobody wants communism instead :wink:

Andy
W6/MM0FMF