Spots manager

In reply to G4OWG:

I seem to remember at the beginning of this thread it was stated that
your own spots are ignored. Perhaps this is why it requires the user
to logged in.

Indeed, but I would regard that as a helpful frill rather than essential functionality. We were told that it does it by looking for “Edit”, so if you’re not logged in, there won’t be any such matches. Given a choice between “not working at all” and “hearing my own spots”, I think I’d prefer the latter!

Anyway, we have a workaround, and I think the amount of effort we’ve been putting into diagnosing the issue is an indication of just how useful this program is. I hope it will act as encouragement to smooth off these rough edges.

In reply to F6ENO:

Hi friends

A latest version (V1.1) of SOTA_Spots_mgr in on line at

http://www.sota-france.fr/telechargement-1.html

Be careful, it works like a browser but it reads the active page every minute… so every minute, your current page is refreshed…
Don’t use it to navigate. Only for SOTA spots.
I didn’t put any help,I think it is not necessary for a so basic soft.

Vy 73 to all
Alain F6ENO

In reply to F6ENO:

Yes, that’s an important improvement. And it works, if you follow an (undocumented) advice.

To check if it really works (on my end. I don’t speak for others), I deleted all cookies within IE (I never use IE, I’m Opera-only, I hate IE).

I started Spot. Obviously, I wasn’t logged in, since all my cookies were deleted.

I then logged in through Spot and up to now, I stayed logged-in.

I started IE and noticed that the required cookie was set because I was logged in in IE as well.

This means, no-one needs to run IE, you got all information through Spot.

But, keep in mind to log in first. That’s especially important for those (like me) who never use IE. It’s not documented but I think it should be mentionned. Those who only used IE so far had no problem, obviously.

HTH.

Good work,
73 Norby

UPDATE:
Correction on my previous comment:

The screen is only “refreshed” on logon. Subsequent refreshes have no effect.
The spot is correctly spoken when Spot is started.

As of 10th July, I had M1EYP as the first spot of the day correctly showing up.
When G3CWI/P was spotted, nothing showed up within Spot. Same for G6DTN/P as next one.

I then quit Spot and restarted. Now, both G3CWI/P and G6DTN/P showed up and the G6DTN/P spot is spoken.
Subsequent spots and “Reflector Latest” changes will not make it into Spot.

73 Norby

In reply to LX1NO:
I only get updates in spots when IE is running Norby :frowning:

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

You are right Roger. When I have IE running at the same time, it does work.

But I still don’t want IE to run all the time, especially since exactly the same engine is used within Spot. I don’t think it’s a good idea to be forced to have to use IE in order for Spot to work since not everyone is pleased with IE.

Alain, any chance to get it independant from an open IE. I mean, you can still use the underlying engine but don’t enforce a running browser, since you have exactly the same information within Spot. Except if you plan to remove the browser engine again later on. But then again, I don’t want to be restricted to use IE.

73 Norby

In reply to LX1NO:
Thanks to you Roger and Norby.
Nice to see that you are trying to help those who have problems.

I will not be able to modify anything now because I start on Thursday
to F/AM and F/PE SOTA regions…
Will be back home around august 15th

Best 73 to you
Alain

In reply to F6ENO:

Enjoy the holidays. I’ll be gone myself by the end of this week. We won’t be able to have contacts, although I’ll be pretty close to a “hot” summit…

73 Norby