Spoted with a "space" in call

Hello Andy,
Looking at the “who chased me” for this activation:
https://www.sotadata.org.uk/en/log/activator/show/629780
I noticed most of chasers logged F4JAI /P (with a space) due to a wrong spot.
Any solution to avoid this kind of typo in spots?
Gerald F6HBI

1 Like
  1. Teach people to type.
  2. Teach people to check what they have just typed.

:slight_smile:

I run a space removal script every few months that finds calls with spaces and removes the spaces.

6 Likes

I would like to know since when has a space been a valid character in a callsign? Notwithstanding what is spotted, if people are logging a space then they need to apply some common sense.

Hello Gerald, people can log just cliking on the + (see picture) and that logs in the dabase the call which is written with a space if any!
spot
73 from Gerald F6HBI

1 Like

They’re probably hitting the “log this chase” button on SOTAwatch which takes the call from SOTAwatch. i.e. it’s already mal-formed and the “log this” button does what you say, it log what has been entered.

There are some “helpful” pieces of software running on phones/tablerts that automagically insert spaces when you type punctuation characters. InReach users will be well aware that when you type “.” it always inserts a space. So you type “14.285” for your spot frequency and if you don’t check, the InReach enters “14. 285” in the spot text which is immediately rejected by the SMS spotter.

4 Likes

Could there be a bit of code in SOTAwatch that refuses to accept a space when entering?

Ah, I had not realised this as I never log real time… I’m still an old pen and paper type of guy!. :joy:

1 Like