SP-015 to become a 2-pointer

…if you work me before midnight and after midnight (UTC) tonight. Will anyone be staying up?


In reply to M1EYP:

I’ll be listening…is the change of frequency on ssb just to make sure we stay awake? :slight_smile:


Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I thought there had been an update from the RHB after the summit had been resurveyed. Then I realised it was The Cloud and Tom was doing an all nighter.
Sorry still jetlagged!


Not exactly an all-nighter Andy; I’m still at home, and expect to be back at home in less than three hours. Nonetheless, thank you for confessing to falling for my “little joke”!

Get the coffee on and the Red Bulls out of the fridge folks.

73, Tom

In reply to M1EYP:

It was easy to find you on CW, Tom, you were genuinly S9 but miles too fast for me to read! Although I tuned 3.6 to 3.7 I never heard anything but sleepy sounding continentals and a few Russians…I wonder why all the Gs at that time of night stay above 3.7? Anyway, I gave up and went to bed at 00.45 UTC!


Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom

I would certainly have worked you before and after midnight UTC, had I been at home. Unfortunately I am in Cornwall at the moment (where it has not stopped raining for about a week) and my indoor vert antenna does not work on 80m.


Hi Tom!

I will be listening with short one before midnight then what.
QRG 3557-3562 kHz.

                     73  DX   Pista   HA5TI

I ended up setting off from home around 2245z. I was on summit setting up under a clear starry sky about 2315z. By 2330z, I was QRV and calling CQ on the alerted 3.607MHz SSB QRG. This was after some unanswered calls on 3.557MHz CW. I didn’t think anyone was going to answer, but then I heard a good signal 57 from DF5WA, and he was able to give me a 55. That was it though, and no-one else called on SSB, so I spent a while calling on CW. Still no-one replied on CW!

Not wanting to record a one-contact activation for the pre-midnight (UTC) session, I scanned the band for other activity. There was absolutely nothing happening on 80 CW at all, but there was lots on 80 SSB. I settled on a friendly sounding net of UK stations on 3.739MHz SSB and broke in. I received a very warm welcome from Tom 2E0TSW, Mike GM0CME, Dave G4AQY and Barry G6EQD, and quite a natter ensued. Only with Tom and Mike were exchanges completed before the date change, so a three-contact activation it was, with Dave and Barry giving me the first two of the next activation of The Cloud G/SP-015.

It took some explaining of exactly where I was and what I was doing with some of these stations, but one of them knew the hill (he called it a mountain!) and reported that a member of his family used to own the farm halfway up it. It had geese then too, apparently! I worked Tom and Mike again after midnight as I passed my 73s to the group, before returning to 3.607MHz SSB. Here, there was DF5WA to collect his double point, but no-one else.

Back then to 3.557MHz CW, where again there was a zero response to my calls. I then found 9A8ZRS further down the band calling CQ from IOTA EU-090, but he didn’t hear my attempted replies. In conclusion, conditions weren’t that great, and this was a poor choice of band for this expedition. If/when I do something similar this summer, I will take 40m and/or 20m.

Many thanks to Berthold DF5WA for being there and working me, and to Brian G8ADD for looking for me. Thanks for the report on the CW as well Brian, it is good to know at least one human being heard my CW sigs! And if you’re ever in that position again, just call me at whatever speed you want, and I will QRS.

73, Tom M1EYP