I am in the initial stages of planning a trip to southeastern Arizona at the end of October and beginning of November. If all goes according to plan, this will be a car camping and peakbagging trip with plenty of activations thrown in. I’m looking for advice on peaks to add to my list. I’m primarily looking for ultra-prominent peaks, county high points, and short hikes or drive ups. At the moment, I am somewhat limited in how much hiking I can do so I’ll probably do just one real hike and then try to load up on shorter things and drive ups.
These peaks are all for sure:
- W7A/AW-001 - Mount Lemmon
- W7A/AW-003 - Mount Bigelow
- W7A/AE-051 - Sugarloaf Mountain
- W7A/GR-001 - Greenlee County HP
And then I am hoping to hit some, but not all of these:
- W7A/AE-007 - Mount Graham - I understand this might still be off limits? Peakbaggers don’t seem to care, but SOTA people do.
- W7A/AE-011 - Heliograph Peak
- W7A/AE-012 - Chiricahua Peak
- W7A/CO-001 - Carr Peak and W7A/AE-013 - Miller Peak
I am basically looking for anything interesting east and south of Phoenix, though I may possibly continue up US 191 towards Petrified Forest NP, and then back to Phoenix. Enough stuff along that route would make me more inclined to go that way.