SOTAwatch3 issue?

Something’s not right …

I tried SOTAwatch 2, it loads initially then when it updates I get this:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at [no address given] to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I am using Fire Fox if that has any thing to do with it. I have always used Fire Fox and in years past there was never a problem.

Jeff K6QCB

The only person casting aspertions is you. I merely said what appeared to be happening based on the evidence of the post times, the last spot for 40m being several minutes after the first. Note the use of the word “appears” in my post, this is a clear indicator that it is not a definitive statement, and true or false it cannot be construed as derogatory.

I am getting the same blank screen for the past week or so. Starting in Incognito mode - seems to bring up all Spots. Seems to me the issue is with cookies. I’ve cleared cookie for sotawatch.sota.org.uk and it all came back.

Nope.

I was referring specifically to white screen. If it is not - then why clearing it (and running incognito) fixed it?

1 Like

No problem. Good work. If I knew programming I would help. Thanks

1 Like

I get sota watch 2 to work…but the new beta 3 version locks up…no spots
and they are late getting there. I have the app on my phone and get them there
and on the other app “Ham Alert” and they show up there.
But today more than usually it is not showing any spots at all.
I keep getting an error message or no spots at all.
So yes I too have been having problems with the 3 ve3rsion.

I went to the sotawatch2 and it is working.

de John Paul /// AB4PP

I tested uninstallation of Windows 10 Update KB4532693 and it did NOT fix my problems with showing of spots. (For context, see my message above 18 Feb at 17:30). - Don AC7P

Having the same issue here that John Paul AB4PP is having. AC1Z

Sotl.as seams to work fine.
https://sotl.as/spots/sotawatch

Also Sotwatch2 mostly too

Before everyone DDOSes the API seeing what works and doesn’t work, let’s explain a little about what’s going on.

• The API is behind a load balancer that splits based on location out to servers in VK, NA and EU.

• The NA server in particular seems to be having some issues lately, and the load balancer not actually failing over properly all the time. This is why mainly NA folks are experiencing issues.

• The EU server is having less problems, but when the balancer fails over, it does increase the load and cause more issues.

• The load balancer front end most likely uses session cookies to ensure that there’s persistence of server chosen between requests, which is why using Incognito mode produces an apparently immediate improvement - a new server is chosen immediately which isn’t under pressure.

• We are keeping an eye on resources and on trying to determine what is causing the servers to get into trouble. Nothing obvious is making itself known yet.

6 Likes

Please ignore if the information is not helpful.

Setup - W10 with Firefox / Chrome / IE fully patched 70Mb broadband connection (Plusnet) with negligable latency

SW3 - Firefox - Either not loading spots or lagging - up to an hour behind the correct time. Alerts seem to be fine
SW3 - Chrome working perfectly ( Same machine )
IE - Spots load - reflectior topics don’t
Safari (iphone) - Spots do not appear - and reflector intermittent - both connected through wifi and 4g network but for same load balancing reason works with ios Firefox perfectly and repeatedly

Frustratingly all afternoon SW2 is intermittently reporting 500 Internal server error … again with Firefox - is this linked - does that also go through the load balancing?

Not really into software engineering but it is similar to a problem we had at work with load balancing (Possibly words like grandma and eggs spring to mind…), when sucess seemed to depend on which server you hit - and it seemed to stay “stuck” to the same server.

For what it is worth it seems that trying a different browser may result is a different sucess rate. Not really a fix but an observation.

Finally - Thank you for the work you do with this - bugs are rare and seemed to be fixed faster than they are when people are paid to do the job… ( This is not a reason to give software enginners a pay cut…)

Thanks

Paul

SW2, please stop using it. It is going to be switched off soon.

1 Like

withdrawn

SW3 seemed be be working fine today. Maybe the issue has been fixed.
Jeff K6QCB

Agreed. Things seemed to be working fine Today.

-J

We put a few more elves to work and have been flogging them senseless since. It appears to be working.

3 Likes

Thanks for your efforts in solving the problem. - Don, AC7P