Sotaforum NP Fun Day

Please note:
All potential and booked in participants should use the list generated on http:www.sotaforum.co.uk this is to prevent confusion and errors. The forum is the official site of this event and the event organiser is Chris 2E0FSR, he is maintaining a list on the forum under the Special Events Section.

Thanks

Lee

In reply to M0LMP:
don’t want to upset too many people on this subject, why don’t you have a clip on here (updated regular) so that people who don’t and won’t and can’t access your web page, that way everyone can have a chance of looking and finding more information on the NP Fun day, I know it started on your forum Lee, but lets not all forget this site, as we can see everyone comes
onto this reflector more than others, just a thought.

Steve m0sgb

It’s up to the individual Steve. Those of us that wish to post Alerts here on SOTAwatch can and will do so. If others, for whatever reason, wish to keep their alert for the logged-in members of Soaforum, then that is their choice.

Whichever, they’ll get spotted on the day anyway, so they will, at some point, have their activations listed on this site.

Can we tempt you to join in and do a G/NP summit on 4th January 2009 Steve? I know you “just” take a handy with you these days (nothing wrong with that, a perfectly valid way to enjoy portable amateur radio), but with all the 2m FM S2S activity, that would be more than sufficient.

Cheers,

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Whichever, they’ll get spotted on the day anyway, so they will, at
some point, have their activations listed on this site.

Cheers,

Tom M1EYP

Tom, that almost sounds like a smug “I told you so, na nah na nah na”:wink:

This isn’t the only website in the world you know, and not forgetting, activators may just make a request on the day not to be spotted, although I doubt that will be the case.

You may have control over this website Tom, but you can’t control the people who use it by forcing your personal opinions on them.

Anyway, enough from me on this thread, I don’t wish to lose my posting rights again.

Mike

I was responding to Steve, who enquired as to the possibility of information on this site for those who are not members of Sotaforum. In that response, I actually supported the right of individuals not to post their plans on here, should that be their wish.

In reply to All:

Look, for goodness sake, grow up some of you !! this thread was posted for people who requested simplicity and to avoid ambiguity of what was happening on the 4th Jan.
Its not here to start bickering and “mines bigger than yours” type debate !!!

At the last Sotaforum meet/gathering, Chris (2E0FSR) suggested we do a NP gathering in the Christmas holidays, it was a great idea and most of us present at the gathering said we would be up for it, thus the event was born. Chris then posted a list on the Sotaforum for us all to pick a summit to do, the list was populated and anyone who wanted to take part was freely able to post in the thread the summit they would like to do. That list is in the Special Events section of the forum, where it is updated and maintained and offers current and accurate information.
Tom posted on the Sotaforum to indicate he and Jimmy would be considering a summit and said for the benefit of all it would be a good idea to keep it simple so to lessen confusion, by posting this thread we are trying to keep it simple by only having one list for all to refer to.

Yes, the Sotaforum is a members forum and as such to post or browse you need to register, which is free and the admin are not intending to sell your details to MI6 either so you are quite safe, and it is with the members safety in mind we make the forum registration based, to keep out unwanted spam, inappropriate content etc. There are a very small number of people that report having problems getting in, but I have not received an email or message from them, so I cant solve the problem they are experiencing until I know what the problem is, the majority of people register without problem but for those with issues pls email admin@sotaforum.co.uk and I will help you register. It is not a sin to register on the forum, nor will you be considered a traitor or a defector from SOTA, as a number of the MT are regular users of the “live chat window” and post quite regularly.

On a personal note the last thing I want to see is the return to the clash of forums we experienced a few months ago, as Tom quite rightly said we can work together and for the benefit of all involved in SOTA. I suggest we get on with organising the Sotaforum NP Funday in the way the originator intended, a bit of fun playing radio in the place we all love… the hills and fells of this great country.

Regards to All

Lee
M0LMP

In reply to All:

For the sake of all, I have now made the special events thread regarding the Sotaforum funday readable by all, no need to register. However if you want to come and join in the banter and post your proposed summit then you will have to join the other 100+ members by registering.

Hope this goes some way to help those with issues logging in, who want to take part in the funday, but please do still email me with problems regarding access to the forum.

Regards
Lee

Hi everyone, it has come to my attention that some chasers are under the impression that the NP Fun Event will be a S2S event only.

Can I assure all chasers that this is NOT the case and that all of the activators taking part in the event will gladly invite calls and the usual support from the chasers.

Thank You & 73
Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Mike

Earlier today Chris posted on the SOTAforum that he was considering changing the event to Saturday and was reconsidering the times. That thread is not visible to everyone. What are the current details and are they liable to change?

Richard

In reply to G3CWI:

Nothing has changed yet Richard, if it does, I’ll keep you informed.

Mike

Nothing on Sotaforum is visible to me until I get home, as the site is banned by the Stoke-on-Trent LEA servers.

But I do hope there isn’t a date change. I’m supposed to be doing something else on Saturday 3rd January 2008 (Macc v Everton FAC R3), as I mentioned on Sotaforum a few nights ago.

But if it’s got to be Saturday, then so be it. I’ll have to hope that the game gets selected for TV and moved to the Sunday or Monday. Failing that, the game will be a a sell-out, so I know I can fetch a tidy sum for my tickets and still make the NP Fun Day. :wink:

Cheers,

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G3CWI:
Richard,
I have opened the Special Events section of the forum up so anyone can browse it, members and non-members alike, and posted this info in a thread on the reflector so hopefully everyone can now have access to the info.

Cheers

Lee

In reply to M0LMP:

Hi Lee, have you identified the problem which stops people from registering on the Sotaforum yet? I know that you are very busy at the moment but the sooner the better it’s sorted, then people who are genuinely interested can register and freely use the forum.

Mike
GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:
I have tried registering on the forum from 4 different PC’s today, just to try and re-create the problems people are having, but as yet I have not encountered any issues. If anyone is having a problem registering please let me know.

admin@sotaforum.co.uk

Regards

Lee

Ok guys,

After much thought I have decided that the start time for the NP Fun day will be Sunday 4th January 13:00 +/- and wx permitting. This gives people the opportunity to activate another summit in the morning should they choose. I will keep my eye on the weather forecast and post something a couple of days before as to wether it will go ahead or not. Safety first.

Apologies to those who preffered a Saturday event but it has been arranged for Sunday for quite a while and I think that this date should remain. If someone would like to organise something for the Saturday that would mean many NP summits activated over a two day period thats fine though I must stress that this does not mean that bickering or handbags at ten paces has started. We are all supposed to be batting for the same side as SOTA enthusiasts.

I think that as activators as we have made all the effort we should find a frequency and work each other S2S first and I would be grateful if all chasers would appreciate this and be patient as afterwards calls from chasers would be most welcome. I must stress that this is not just a S2S event and I am in no doubt that activators will do their own thing and operate using their favourite bands/modes afterwards.

73 Chris 2E0FSR

In reply to 2E0FSR:
Thanks Chris, looking forward to the event !!

Lee

In reply to M0LMP:
just wondering are you sorting the frequencies/bands, and times out for the activators, or would it be a free for all and everyone jumps on a frequency, just a thought as when the SP Funday was done we had frequencies from 145-475 downwards, but we never took in the IRLP or ECHOLINK repeaters, unless you jump on LF/HF band where then it would be hard
for activators to find activators without prior warning, any of to bed as going doing Kinder Scout in morning,
Steve m0sgb