SOTAdata - Show Who Chased Me

I just had a look at “SHOW WHO CHASED ME” at the log of yesterday’s activation of OE/ST-433 and noticed that there is a difference between the logged contacts for OE5REO/P and OE/ST-433:

grafik

grafik

I know that this is the case when the chasers make a mistake entering the QSO to the database … but here I cannot find any typo’s. So I wonder why PA7RA, SQ9MDF and S56LXN are only listed in the second entry. Probably someone of the readers has an explaination? I know it’s not essential for activator/chaser points but I want to understand why this is happening …

73 Martin
OE5REO

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I think the second list is including QSOs you yourself have uploaded as part of your activation log, while the first list is showing only QSOs uploaded by chasers.

As of this moment, SQ9MDF has not yet uploaded any chases later than 2023-10-10, S56LXN hasn’t uploaded any later than 2023-09-27 and PA7RA does not seem to have uploaded any QSOs.

1 Like

I believe you are! Both sets of QSOs are from what the chasers have uploaded. I see that PA7RA has uploaded the QSO and I can see no error in the callsign so it looks odd.

Thanks for your reply. I worked EU2DL at 10:24 and G0CEG at 10:27, they have not entered any logs so far to the database. Their QSO’s are not showing at all in “SHOW WHO CHASED ME”.

According to the database the three chasers have entered the QSO’s to their chaser log:

1 Like

At the time I checked, I could not find any of those in the chasers’ own logs, but it’s a dynamic system, possibly with some bits distributed, so maybe it just takes a little while to get everything straight…

(At this moment (about 2023-10-14 11:00 UTC), the latest QSO I’m seeing in the database for SQ9MDF was on 2023-10-10, and for S56LXN was on 2023-09-27, so there’s definitely some lag somewhere in the system for me as compared with the view you have. If there’s demonstrable lag for one path (to me) then it’s reasonable to assume there may be lag elsewhere, and the cure to the problem is “wait for a while and try again”.)

1 Like

Very strange … when I go to the PA chaser roll of honour I see PA7RA on place # 10 with almost 5000 activators worked:

Probably @VK3ARR should have a look at this …

Tried yet again, and when I selected PA it flipped me back from the Chaser Honour Roll to the Activator Honour Roll. Something weird in the caching somewhere along the way, quite possibly in my browser. (Latest version of FireFox has done a few odd things recently, but as they were mostly with XTwitter I cast the blame in the obvious direction…). I will apply a cache-hammer locally and see whether that fixes anything…

1 Like

I just used my super-user powers and pretended to be PA7RA and added in the missing chase. Then I pretended to be OE5REO and the missing chase now shows along with 2 loggings for PA7RA.

At this point I’d like to leave both of your logs (OE5REO and PA7RA) a bit ‘squiffy’ until I get back to UK and have some better tools to play with and see what is showing in the DB console. That way we can see what is wrong and what needs fixing.

Andy
CT7/M0FMF

3 Likes

Hello,
It looks like there is a “blank” after some call; am i wrong?
F6HBI

1 Like

Yes! I’ve downloaded PA7RA’s log as CSV. Here is the offending line:

V2,PA7RA,13/10/2023,11:23,7MHz,SSB," OE5REO/P",OE/ST-433,0

The DB or other app should strip spaces.

If the spot has spaces in the call and the chase is logged from the Sotawatch log a chase dialogue, then this can happen. I have noticed this on some of my chases and have had to correct it.

2 Likes

Thank you all for investigating this … here are some screenshots I took of the chaser logs in question:

pa7ra

s56lxn

sq9mdf

And this may be the spot that caused the problem (there is a ‘blank space’ before the callsign):

73 Martin
OE5REO

2 Likes

@MM0FMF Any news? Just had a look at my log and it is still ‘squiffy’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Expecting the DB or the SOTA system to do so much hard work in “stripping spaces” is surely asking too much of an already overworked piece of software? Whatever next - automatic re-formatting of dates entered in non-standard formats? Checking SOTA summit reference formats, or callsign formats, before accepting user-sourced data to be written to the DB???

I think we should cut some slack on the DB … give it a break, the poor thing.

And, yes, here’s the “/s” for those who are wondering: /s :rofl:

2 Likes

Is this a mobile phone/predictive text issue?

Sometimes when I choose MW0PJE from the suggestions on my phone it adds a space afterwards (but not before) because it’s expecting the next word to be entered.

2 Likes

Sorry, it dropped off my radar whilst I was in Portugal. I look today and tweak the QSOs which should fix it.

2 Likes

There’s a few of these entries, not just in your account Martin, with a leading or trailing space. I’ll tweak the few in your specific case but the rest I want to leave until I’ve discussed this with Andrew.

3 Likes

I didn’t get a chance to do this yet but Andrew VK3ARR has a fix ready that will trim calls when adding to the DB. I WILL get the whitespace removed tonight!

4 Likes