Sotabeams Carbon 6

On my recent activation, I managed to split the 3rd segment of my Sotabeams Tactical 7000hds. Unperturbed, I simply put up the antenna from segment 4 upwards, and successfully carried out the activation.
My first surprise was that Sotabeams actually sell spare segments for very reasonable prices, so I ordered the replacement part. I then thought about the activation, and having successfully activated with a shorter than intended mast the carbon 6m mast was looking very attractive, so I ordered one of them as well. My second surprise was when I unpacked the parcel received earlier today. Nothing could have prepared me for the lightness and compactness of the Carbon 6. It fits nicely into my radio backpack, whereas the more substantial 7000hds was strapped to the outside. I guess the lighter construction will require careful use to avoid breakage, but I am looking forward to using it in the near future for another activation.
I would of course welcome any tips you may have - I’ll be using it with an EFHW antenna, probably attached one or two segments down from the top unless you tell me otherwise!

2 Likes

Hi Paul,
Carbon Fibre masts in general are lighter than fibreglass ones however having carbon in them they are conductive and can de-tune antennas, but if you keep your EFHW far enough away from the mast, you’ll probably be OK. The real problems happen with vertical antennas where the wire needs to run up the side of the mast.

73 Ed.

3 Likes

This is how the antenna wire is usually attached by me and others:

3 Likes

Hi Ed - Thanks for that. I have heard this before, but didn’t consider it. I will bear this in mind when setting up (probably in a park before I go up a summit), and check the tuning carefully. As you say, the EFHW shouldn’t be an issue.

1 Like

Thanks Heinz - is this for an EFHW antenna? I guess the antenna wire is held by the grommet, so you need to position it at the right point on the wire before erecting the mast? Do you then guy the mast in all directions, or do you use the antenna wires to effectively guy the mast in conjunction with a single guy (hopefully that makes sense without a picture!)?

4 Likes

This type of fastening is typically used with an asymmetrical arrangement of the antenna wire. The shorter part of the wire enters the rubber grommet from below and exits from above.

The mast is fixed on a case-by-case basis, always according to the user’s imagination, hi.

3 Likes

@MW7PAJ

Hi Paul

This is my set up for my EFHW and Carbon 6. I have removed the first thin top section of Carbon 6. I slide the Versatile Top Antenna Insulators (Sotabeams or make your own) down to rest on the third section. Simple loop of Hi Viz antenna cord so the wire antenna slides easily through the cord loop so I can place the pole anywhere. Used on hundreds of activations with the EFHW. No breakages as yet…

73 Allan GW4VPX

6 Likes

Thanks Allan - This is very similar to the setup I use with the heaver mast. Do you guy the mast fully as well, or use the antenna wire as two of the guy lines?

2 Likes

@MW7PAJ
Hi Paul.

I’ve always used a home brew three point guy system so no strain on the pole or antenna wire but a growing trend is to use a stake in the ground and do away with the guy system! I’ve never broken a Carbon 6 yet… :grinning:

3 Likes

With my EFHW I have the feedpoint near the base of the mast with the wire heading off from (near) the top and use two guys at 135Deg to the wire to stop the mast falling towards the antenna wire. This allows the mast to bend a little which helps keep the wire clear of the mast.

2 Likes

You can buy the carbon mast also at DECATHLON … at Decathlon Austria the first three segments can be bought seperately as spare parts (in case you break them):

73 Martin
OE5REO

3 Likes

Take it apart and let it dry before packing it away. It jusy needs a light pull and twist to assemble.

I’ve never found this and regularly use mine with a vertical.

3 Likes

I’ll have to check Decathlon in the UK when I’m next passing to see if they stock these. I’ve broken 2 of the upper parts from their fibreglass pole (which they don’t sell any more) but the carbon ones might fit.
Luckily the upper sections have broken near the bottom, so if I put some heatshrink around the remaining part it can still be used, but it’s getting 100 mm shorter each time a section breaks!

3 Likes

The Carbon 6 is a fantastic mast. I use it for when I want to be fast and light. The tactical mini is my go-to mast to abuse or for a 20m vertical.

I like a 3D printed tip, which I have on all my antennas and fits the end tips of the Carbon 6 (with top section removed, it’s useless) , tactical mini and 7000hds. The wire aperture allows the antenna wire to slide and makes an EFHW setup easy.

Had to replace sections multiple times now, very useful service from sotabeams.

The carbon 6 is so light I rarely guy this. I just use a section of waste pipe in rocks or soil - learnt that trick from the excellent people here. :point_up:

3 Likes

Carbon 6 mast is my goto support system for SOTA activations. I made some (easily visible) guys using a SOTAbeams plastic collar, but also I use a short section of PVC pipe, same length as the bottom section of the pole, and with very short guys attached, to slot it into. On a calm-ish day, this will easily support the pole, esp when using an EFHW. It’s also useful for jamming into summit rocks without damaging the carbon pole itself. The pic shows both in use with a SlimG VHF antenna. I usually tilt the pole slightly to keep verticals away from it, just in case. Happy activating. 73 Mike :grinning:

4 Likes

I like the PVC pipe idea. I have some in the shed… I think my Sotabeams plastic collars have too large a diameter in the centre, as I bought them for the bigger pole. I will try them, but if they are too big, I can make some smaller ones up.

3 Likes

It’s widely used. This is what I used for mine, although I fitted it to the pipe, not the pole…

2 Likes

I made up a 40mm PVC tube that my carbon 6 fits nicely in to give it some protection from the elements and tie off points on summits. There is a hole drilled through the outer pipe to place a pin through the pipe to stop the C6 from going right into the pipe when I deploy.

Works for me, and I have not noticed any difference in contacts from being a metre shorter than my other SOTA poles and in some ways its easier to deploy.
Regards Ian vk5cz …

4 Likes

I broke the last section one day because the knot attaching the antenna slipped off from a lower section due to bad manipulation from my side. It’s not a big deal; I wasn’t using it anyway. Since then, I use a prussik knot to attach the antenna to the mast; it’s less likely to slip when the mast is bended.

I guy with 3 lines. So far, so good.

5 Likes

:+1:

1 Like