SOTABeams Bandhopper - What protects coax/wire junction?

I’m having to repair my Bandhopper and replace the wire section connected to the coax shield. Obviously I had to tear up the protective blob at the coax/wire junction. Does anyone know what they use to protect that? Seems a bit hard/tough to be hot glue.

Thanks!

I made one for 20/17/15m after buying the parts from SotaBeams. To seal the end of the coax I used a few coats of liquid insulation tape. It seems to be working after several months.

5 Likes

This seems to be the weak point of the Band Hopper. A friend and I both had our fails at the orange panel when it cracked due to normal use. I’d like to see how others have repaired this joint.

At any rate, in emails with SB to get it repaired, the owner told me he uses a hot glue gun to seal the joints.

2 Likes

I’ve been using PVA hot glue since 2006. Seems to work OK.

3 Likes

It actually wasn’t the orange panel in my case. One of the wires appears to have broken inside the insulation right where the sharp bend is as it passes through the orange panel with the black padding around it.

Time to hit Harbor Freight for a glue gun this weekend while they are having their sale. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use non corrosive neutral cure silicon sealant commonly sold as roof and gutter sealant.

Ron
VK3AFW

That’s the type that doesn’t smell like vinegar IIRC?

Yes Andy that’s the one. It also says Neutral Cure on the outside. So if you are having a bad bout of the neutrals this is just the thing.

I also use it in PL259 plugs for thinner coax to hold the cable in place and reduce stress on the soldered bits.

The original used to remind me of eating fish and chips out of a roll of newspaper on winters evenings while waiting for the bus home. Vinegar and salt? Yes please. That’s when 6 pence had buying power. And you could hear dx on a 2 valve regen set.

Ron
VK3AFW

2 Likes

It’s liquid electrical tape that’s used on the SOTAbeams antennas but it is rather expensive stuff. You can pick up a similar product cheap from China, but I haven’t tried any myself.

I’ve been using hot melt glue for my stuff and never had any issues.

2 Likes

Well, got response from Martin and he said it was “hot-melt adhesive” (aka Hot Glue). Looks like it worked! Spliced in a repair wire, was 1.1 or better on the CW portions, so I went ahead and tacked it down. Not too shabby if I say so myself.

4 Likes