SOTA weekend Black Hills SD

The Black Hills Amateur Radio Club Is planning to host a Summits on the Air weekend July 17, 18 2021.

There are 160 summits within 50 miles of the center of the Black Hills of SD. A large percentage of them are within a mile of a road accessible by a high clearance vehicle or passenger car. Six of the summits are 10’s and thirty are 8’s. It will be reasonable to attempt to activate 8 summits in the 2 day weekend. A significant number of the contacts can be summit to summit.

At this point we are looking for people who might be interested in joining us for this event. Send an email to: terryfuller@rushmore.com or compass@rap.midco.net expressing interest or with questions or suggestions.

Our club will attempt to identify a campground where everyone can gather (hopefully with cabins for those who are tent adverse). Hopefully we can organize a BBQ one night to get together and get to know everyone.

Terry – AD0HL and Don – K0DAJ

4 Likes

The Black Hills area of SD is an excellent area for SOTA. Quite a variety of summits, many that are easy to access. Beautiful hikes and scenery.

Bob K0NR

Terry! Sounds like fun. I can’t wait to get back into the Black Hills and activate ( hopefully next time in more clement weather) thanks again for making my Rankin Ridge activation successful last fall!!!

If I remember correctly AD0HL drove up to a high spot in order for me to get the 4th QSO on a cold blustery day. I remember hiking up past peculiar snow piles. One of those “snow piles-stood up” towering over my 6’ height. Those Buffalo are big!

“73”
KE8OKM

Please put me on the list for further information about this event. I will be torn as to whether to go east or west for my next SOTA campout ;-), but that’s a good problem to have!

73 Paula k9ir

This event is less than 3 weeks away and there seems to be quite a bit of interest. Anyone wanting complete information sent me an email to get on the update list.
terryfuller@rushmore.com