SOTA Watches

But my wristwatch accuracy exceeds the SOTA database time resolution. Therefore it is precisely accurate by definition and at the current rate of drift will be accurate for many more years!

1 Like

My battered and scratched Luminox which is always set to UTC time.

Glows in the dark which is handy for nightime operation.

3 Likes

Andrew (VK3JBL)

Compass good enough, at a pinch, yes. resolution on mine is 5 degrees. it is helpful in the bush to help you exit the summit in the direction you entered it, which has been handy a few times. Heading off in the wrong direction can delay your dinner. But I think a decent compass you can use with a map etc is probably a lot better.

Andrew VK1DA

Hi Andrew,
When I started activating on my own, I remember once or twice having some difficulties to remember where I had entered from to a bushy summit. Since then, as soon as I get to a bushy summit now, I always lay my wooden walking stick down on ground pointing to the path or direction I arrived from. It’s a basic analogic tecnology method :wink: but it works fine.

Best 73 de Guru

4 Likes

G4ISJ: But what time is it?

I’m still using an old Casio wristwatch, must be over 20 years and still running … (only changing the lithium cell once)
It has dual time, so “the force of UTC” is always with me !
Even though I have a KX3 now, I’m still using the Casio (see picture), since the KX3 clock runs ahead a couple of minutes over a week , and its location “behind” the big tuning knob impairs its visibility, or I may set the display for other things (VFOB, battery voltage etc)

Now I’m still waiting for the first reply of someone using a “smart watch” to show the latest spots … now that would be a SOTAWATCHWATCH :wink:
73 , Luc - ON7DQ

2 Likes

Hi Luc,
While (as far as I know) it wont relay the spots from a sota app - this is a cheap watch that talks to your smart phone while also including an altimeter and a few fitness functions (step counting).

http://www.ebay.de/itm/U8-Bluetooth-Smart-Wrist-Watch-Phone-Mate-For-Android-Phone-Samsung-HTC-/221947801150?hash=item33ad1eae3e:g:kOMAAOSwEetWATaQ

Half the price if you are willing to wait for it to arrive from China.

73 Ed.

At the moment I have a dedicated compass. I have to go back decades to the last time I needed to take bearings more precisely than 5 degrees for navigation, though I do it all the time for astronomy. Most of our navigation is to fairly prominent objects, like a summit, ridge, road etc.

Given I tend to leave the compass safely in the pack rather than around my neck, it may be worth adding it to the feature list at least for rough beam headings and exit routes.

Guru: I had that issue on Rarotonga, even with a breadcrumb trail on the GPS it took some hunting to find the exact exit point (and importantly the rope) from the caldera. Next time I’ll take some bright coloured material to tie onto something.

I have my trusty old Silva compass in my map case slung around my neck for the less hands-in-pockets summits.

A couple of degrees accuracy is advisable on Ben Nevis in winter when the summit is covered in cloud, but usually, as you say, 5 degrees is good enough. Of course, there are times when a compass is useless due to magnetic rock, such as on the Cuillin Ridge on Skye. I remember taking a bearing while walking on Wetherlam in the Lake district as cloud was approaching, and suddenly the compass almost reversed itself and then swung back, just due to a small patch of very magnetic rock. Fortunately this kind of problem is uncommon in the UK.

Brian

After they failed to deliver to me the watch I bought through the internet and showed you earlier in this thread (at least they have put the money back into my credit card) this is the SOTA-watch I’ve finally purchased in a local shop.

Compass, Altimeter, Barometer, Thermometer, and it even tells the time :wink:

Best 73 and Merry Xmas de Guru

Have fun with it, Guru!

My latest purchase is http://oxford-products.com/us/products/Micro-Clock.html

Dear Heinz,
I see you’ll remain stuck to clocks. That’s a nice light and tiny one.
Since it flashes when temp is below 3° C, it seems you’ll have it flashing all or most of the time when you will be in the HB mountains in winter, so you’ll have to change batteries pretty often :wink:
Have fun with it too.
Best 73 and Merry Christmas de Guru

Hi Guru, My new SOTA clock arrived this morning. It matches my Antron-99 very nicely.
It’s a little heavier than I anticipated and has more bells than whistles, however, no doubt I’ll get used to it :wink:

73 and Merry Xmas
Mike 2E0YYY

3 Likes

Well…I use a very suitable and cheap watch that is convenient to log QSOs.
It cost 1.25 Eur and its accurate enough for the job!

My wrist watch is a Suunto or a Geonaut.

73 and Merry Xmas to all de Pedro, CT1DBS/CUHF

Dear Mike,
That’s a very good clock for SOTA.
Once you will have placed it vertical and conveniently secured with some guy ropes in the AZ, you won’t have any issue with it being blown off by the winds.
You can also place the Antron99 on top of the clock and take the advantage of those 2m of clock to get the antenna even higher above the ground, thus reducing losses.
As I said, a very good one for SOTA, which will also help you keep even fitter.
Don’t forget taking pictures of the dinosaurs when you are out on the hills :wink:
Best 73 and Merry Christmas

2 Likes

I use my Garmin foretrex 401 it uses two triple A batteries, I have managed about 10hrs continuous use on activations.

The gps comes in handy for check nav and also comes with a jumpmaster for those who feel the urge to parachute on to a summit.

Happy Christmas
Graeme

I found this Rolex (left) on GW/NW-051 Foel Fenlli a couple of years ago. Never used it for activating though, I got the Timex Expedition watch from the US about 10 years ago and use that all the time, especially for activating, great watch.

Roger MW0IDX BTW, the Rolex looks like a fake!

1 Like

mine too!

and when the batteries inside the radio die, you know exactly what time it is - time to go home. -)

1 Like

this is what I use: