SOTA Videos

I see that the SOTA video site has not been updated for over four months - no doubt Steve is busy with other things. I wonder if it is time to think of a better option: anyone got any good ideas? A manual update system relying on an individual is always prone to fail eventually.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI: The amount of video trip-reports every week is too large to deal with as single entities. We might just want to maintain a list of Youtube channels / VIMEO channels etc., dedicated to SOTA videos.

Matt / K0MOS

In reply to K0MOS:

The problem arose original because Youtube changed access rules for the SOTA video channel. As Richard says , manual systems are prone to failure from the either the failure to perform the manual update process. Also they can be swamped by the number of updates required.

Sadly you can’t rely on tagging either as there’s nothing to stop people using “our” special tag for their own purposes in their videos on Youtube etc.

By far the best way is to have an automated system in which those who post videos can post the Youtube (or whatever) URL for their video and the automated system makes the list of videos available. Not rocket science and a nice little project for someone to play with. If you can come up with an effective automatic method of keeping the spammers and other underisables out then you’ll probably find the first part of the task trivial.

Volunteers?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:
Flickr allow users to upload two videos per month, being that we have two Flickr groups associated with SOTA, this would seem an ideal place for people to upload videos.

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G8XYJ:

(with tongue firmly in cheek)

I point my learned colleague Matt at the previous post to his (this->m_postnum-2 for the programmers amongst us) and ask him which bit of the explanation of why general purpose image websites have serious downsides of coping with multiple users performing multiple uploads and indexing them he failed comprehend?

:slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Fair enough Andy!!

I only speak from personal experience! I have simply used Flickr and find it very easy myself, however of course if it is not suitable then fair enough!

Slightly off subject question here, who owns the masts at Cryn y Brain Andy? After speaking with Brian on 23cm 2 or 3 weeks ago he said you used to contest up there, however I did not ask him who owned the masts? Just intrigued really.

Matt

In reply to G8XYJ:

The problem is the indexing or tagging. Go onto Youtube and search for SOTA. You hit a lot of non- Summits on The Air SOTA videos. It’s better but not perfect on Flickr. There’s nothing to stop some other valid SOTA group (School of the Arts?) from using SOTA tags. So it becomes hard to only find our SOTA material.

It should be possible to automate a lot of what you want if you can be sure the SOTA video get’s a link posted on here. Then it’s a matter of searching this site and collecting the links and who posted them. A bit of regexing and you can get the summit ref out of the post. The advantage of that is that only proper SOTA videos get posted here, we don’t have any spammers or undesirables posting. So if the video is linked from here it’s probably a kosher SOTA video. Scan once/week say and see what’s new, produce a webpage sorted on poster’s call, summit ref. etc. and you get a system that doesn’t rely on any one person. Even better would be an “index my video” button on this site but that adds work for Jon who is just a little busy right now.

As for who owns what on CYB? The big stuff? The small stuff? The stuff that’s not really there (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)? The stuff that’s been removed? Best you email me at mm0fmf_sota AT intermoose.com!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to G8XYJ:

The problem is the indexing or tagging. Go onto Youtube and search for
SOTA. You hit a lot of non- Summits on The Air SOTA videos. It’s
better but not perfect on Flickr. There’s nothing to stop some other
valid SOTA group (School of the Arts?) from using SOTA tags. So it
becomes hard to only find our SOTA material.

Emphatically correct: on the first three pages when googling sota:

School of the arts: Rochester, San Franscisco, Singapore.
SOTA turntables.
SOTA instruments.
The Society of Typographic Aficionados!!!
Snow and Outdoor Trade Assn.
SOTA Tractors.
Spirit of the Artist.
SOTA Toys.
SOTA Connect.
State Of The Art Consulting.
SOTA Glazing Inc.
Studio of the Arts.

And it goes on…amazing!

Brian G8ADD

The tag ‘summits_on_the_air’ could be a solution?

73, Peter - ON4UP