In reply to G4VFL:

I have just had a quick look at Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD5.1.1) the
default for 7MHz is 7.035 for PSK31.

Perhaps someone who uses it should file a bug against it? :wink:

ā€¦though I guess itā€™s inevitable when bandplans changeā€¦ Lots of inertiaā€¦

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to G4VFL:
Hi Andrew
Thank you for my fist PSK contact today on 40m, i have only been doing PSK for 2 days and you are the fist sota G/SE-011 i have worked,
Hope to work you again soon

Regards Nigel
2E0NHM

I see that Andrew G4VFL had a successful acivation of G/SE-011 yesterday. I had a listen, after I saw the spot, but could not hear him, although I could hear some of his callers. I was rather surprised that he decided to risk his datamode gear on the summit, as the weather here, just a few miles away, was decidedly wet!

Perhaps heā€™ll share some details with us in due course ā€¦

73 de Les

I got quite excited to see a datamode spot today at 12:54 for SQ6NDL/P on SP/BZ-056 using psk on 14070. However, despite careful checking, I could not identify his signal. There were a number of other psk signals around that frequency, including a couple from Poland, but none seemed to be calling/working SOTA.

There was a psk-type signal just above 14070 which, although quite strong, was indecipherable here. I hope that wasnā€™t Grzegorz suffering a technical problem.

Did anybody else work, or even just hear, this activation?

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:
Hi Les
I also keep looking out for DATA-mode spots, but the problem with most DATA-mode spots is that they give the frequency as per the receiver dial; not taking into the off-set arising from where in the waterfall the true signal is.
This problem arises not onlt on SOTAwatch, but also on the DXclusters generally.
When at home I usually operate using CAT and the true frequency of the receiced signal shows up on my waterfall; i.e. it will show the Freq as the USB dial freq PLUS the offset in the waterfall, and this is the frquency I would give in a DATAmode spot. If I operate a non-CAT radio, I do the calculation Dial Freq + Waterfall Offset, and provide that frequency in any spots I send out. That way it becomes more straight forward to locate the station being spotted.
What do others do?
73 de Ken - GM0AXY

In reply to GM0AXY:

Surely it will depend on what stations can be seen from the activation point and the need to pick some frequency thatā€™s not obviously in use?
Can you not dial in 14070 (or whatever) and then use the PSK Browser (thatā€™s in fldigi, donā€™t know about any other swā€¦) to find ā€˜SOTAā€™ That way I would assume that any station within the waterfall mentioning ā€˜SOTAā€™ would get highlighted?

Iā€™ve never done it of course :wink: But I intend to, when summer eventually comes along!

Don

I work digital modes very often and the best tricks to be heard with qrp power are these.
First trick is to use 17m + 30m bands, 20m PSK frequency 14070 is way too crowded by stations using too much power.

Second trick is not to work on the center frequency.
For example 14070 do not use 1500Hz, 14070 1000-2000Hz is what is the most crowded portion.
14070 and 300-800Hz is good, you will still be seen by others because most use wide filters.
Because the output decreases on the filter edges, I prefer 14069 and 1500Hz.

One thing that you may want to try too is to use normal cqā€™s.
Do not call cq sota cq sota etc. but just
cq cq de oh9fzu oh9fzu
cq cq de oh9fzu oh9fzu
pse k
There are many many operators that do not know what sota is or how to answer that call, they may not even speak english yet they work stations using basic macros.

As you did notice and propably know, do not use capital letters.
Lower case letters are decoded faster and more reliably.

Why even bother calling cq at the beginning, just work a few stations which are strong and start chasing the chasers later.

Jani OH9FZU

In reply to G3VQO:
Hello Les
I was given the May 2012 edition of QST at TDARS this week [ace SOTA talk by G8XYJ BTW]. The cover story is ā€˜Turn your smartphone into a Digital communications terminalā€™ by Martin K0BXB huyettmeh AT gmail DOT com] . 817, interface and phone looks very compact and uses the DroidPSK app. The article builds on the efforts of Wolfgang W8DA whose website is www.wolphi.com and wrote DroidPSK. I wonder if this combination would appeal to the summer SOTA activator [rubbish with gloves on ;Ā¬D ]?

David M0YDH

In reply to M0YDH:

Yesterday I red this articel in QST about PSK and smartphonesā€¦
but do all this smartphones have an ā€œaudio inputā€ socket?

73 de Franz ON9CBQ

In reply to ON9CBQ:

do all this smartphones have an ā€œaudio inputā€ socket

No but all phones have a microphone.

Andy
MM0FMF

Iā€™ve got DroidPSK on my Samsung S2 smartphone which seems to work well with a lash-up to my 817. Makes a nice small set-up however there are the usual smartphone problems of the touch keypad being a bit vague which means relying on the preset macros. Other problem is that with the phone turned into a PSK terminal, you probably need another phone to spot or indeed to make/receive phone calls. Just havenā€™t lugged the whole caboodle up any local hills yet to try it out.

Somebody developed PSK software for PDAs some years ago working under Windows CE/Mobile. I used it for a time but the audio interface was a bit of a problem.

73s
Alan M0DDC

In reply to M0YDH:
Smartphone and digital modes, thats a decade old news you are talking about.

My first qso ever was a 80m NVIS PSK31 qso using HP iPAQ Windows mobile 5 smartphone +Pocketdigi program +FT-817ND.
Interface is just straight audio cables and ptt with vox.
iPAQ uses a stulys so it works great even with gloves on.
Imgur

Nokia N900 smartphone, Debian Linux and Fldigi anyone?
Imgur

Itā€™s great that Android users have similar options, but the lack of stulys is a major drawback imho.
Not to mention that Windows mobile 6 or older smartphones are really really cheap and you donā€™t need any interface, just straight cables.

Jani OH9FZU

In reply to OH9FZU:

Thanks for the tips. I hope to have a go later today WX and time permitting. 817 & old (ssd ram) Eeepc from a small summit in S Wales.

Rod

To get back to my question, the answer appears in the SOTA database where SQ6NDL shows an activation of SP/BZ-056 on 15th June containing eight 14MHz PSK QSOs. Well done Grzegorz!

Looking at the callsigns listed, I recognise no known SOTA chasers, so it is not surprising that nobody else could confirm hearing/working him. Obviously I need to try harder when chasing!

73 de Les, G3VQO

Like Mickey 2E0YYY, I am now also a Samsung Galaxy S3 user. I have been looking at the DroidPSK app with a view to some PSK31 SOTA activations. Unfortunately, the links to the manual for DroidPSK donā€™t appear to be working, so I havenā€™t been able to find out much about cabling.

The promos for DroidPSK talk about ā€œholding it next to the speakerā€ and ā€œholding it next to the keyed microphoneā€, but Iā€™d rather not do this! Thankfully, I did also note ā€œor with cablesā€ on some other site about DroidPSK.

I presume that the 3.5mm headphone jack on my phone does audio in and well as audio out, so as to cater for headsets with in-line microphones. Therefore, does it follow that a Y type cable between this socket and the FT-817ā€™s microphone and headphone sockets will do the job, rather than holding things next to other things etc? Or should it be a lead between the phoneā€™s mini USB socket and the data socket on the 817?

Iā€™ve not managed to get my head round this yet (as you can see), so some guidance would be appreciated.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Hey Tomā€¦ Iā€™ve done this on 10m with my HTC, Droid PSK and 30 watts into Brazil. Iā€™ve made up a cabling system with a ptt and stuff and itā€™s worked very well.

I canā€™t tell you much about it as itā€™s Friday night and Iā€™ve had a couple of beers! Maybe Iā€™ll be back tomorrow! I bought a four pole 3.5mm plug for the phone and worked out I had to wire it myself - itā€™s not just as simple as the normal ā€œYā€ connector as the common isnā€™t where it normally is. It took AGES to work out that it wasnā€™t standard!

Iā€™ll be in touchā€¦

R

In reply to G7LAS:

I managed (in my state!) to get a photo - PSK | Proof of concept worked! Thought about making it betteā€¦ | Flickr

Bear in mind itā€™s very embryonic, I made a couple of contacts and then gave it a rest. Worked well though - might try and improve it if more activations are taking place using PSK!

In reply to M1EYP:

If your S3 is ā€œjustā€ a 3G version then it has a quad core 1.5GHz ARM Cortex A9 CPU which is quite a lot of processing power. But if itā€™s an LTE capable model aka 4G, then it has a screaming dual core 1.5GHz Qualcomm Krait CPU. The Krait is Cortex A9 instruction set compatible but the hardware is implemented better so cycle for cycle itā€™s much faster than a standard A9. The Qualcomm chip also features BAMs (a transparent DMA with elastic buffers) on all the subsystem datapaths which relieves the CPUs of a huge amount of overhead. So there are more CPU cycles available for Angry Birds or you can power down the CPU to make the battery life longer. Which youā€™ll need when doing fast LTE data transfers!

Easiest way to get a connector is to sacrifice a microphone/earbud headset and use the 4 pin plug and cable for your own needs.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

if thereā€™s a way of soldering those wires Andy, let me know. the conductors are SO tiny.

I took some advice about that recently and it was along the lines of solder and aspirin. never againā€¦ spent 20 minutes unconscious on the kitchen floor after inhaling the fumes.

r

In reply to G7LAS:

if thereā€™s a way of soldering those wires Andy, let me know.

Carefully! :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF