SOTA using datamodes

Thanks for all of the information and advice.

Walt, G3NYY - Thanks for the tip about locking the TX frequency. That was something I hadn’t discovered, and I’ll use that in future.

Andy, MM0FMF (and others) - I was aware that PSK was designed to be best at lower-case characters, but my education, all those years ago, taught me that certain letters must be upper-case (names, places, etc). I can cope with everything being in capitals, but the converse really makes me shudder! Even when I send a text message from my mobile (not a frequent occurrence!), I insist on placing capital letters and punctuation where necessary. Therefore, to keep my mental equilibrium, I have set the software to use the “CAPITALS ONLY” option. My mental well-being is more important than overall efficiency :wink:

Brian, G8ADD - If you love the sound of PSK, then I think you’ll find the sound of Throb even more enjoyable! It may be the R2-D2 sound that Jaakko F5VGL remembers too. Maybe on my next summit …

73 de Les

In reply to G3VQO:

Fine, Les, I’ll take a listen. It may be a bit wierd, but I hear the beacon transmitting attractive music, too! I’ve got to go out today and find a USB to RS232 adapter, mine seems to have vanished during one of my all too rare shack clear-ups. Then I will be back in action with digimodes…and I can also go back to trying to get Easypal to work with Windows Vista.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

find a USB to RS232 adapter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+rs232&x=0&y=0

Windows Vista

You are joking? Downgrade to XP or upgrade to 7. Using Vista as an OS is akin to to showering in bleach. Both work but neither is how you really want to do things.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I think I can understand why people diss Vista, sometimes it can be a bit annoying to someone well used to XP, but in general it works very well for me. Basically, all I need from my PC is net access, word processing and image storage and processing, and a bit of ham radio wizardry on the side, and except for this problem with SSTV (which I can probably “cure” by going back to the old faithful Digitrx!) I have no serious moans about it. Computer wizz-kids might have serious issues but they have more serious needs!

Brian G8ADD

After a very wet morning, by lunchtime it seemed that the rain had passed. A quick check on the Met Office radar confirmed that the main band had moved away east, so a spontaneous SOTA activation was on the cards!

This time I visted Black Down, G/SE-003, having alerted for a mix of PSK63 and RTTY. Although the ground was wet underfoot, the sky was blue upon arrival, so I set up for PSK63 on 7043. Despite a self-spot, it soon became apparent that conditions were against me, with a lot of noise showing on the waterfall. After about fifteen minutes, I moved to 10141, still on PSK63. The noise seemd just as bad, but, although I could not hear any actual signals, the magic OM7OM appeared on the screen. I sent the data, and received a report back - thanks Milan.

Further calling proved fruitless, although I did hear a “?” on CW, followed by “PSE CW” also on CW. Loath to fidle with the configuration, I was unable to oblige.

I then made my final move to 14081, but this time on RTTY. After self-spotting, and calling CQ for around ten minutes, I finally managed three QSOs - job done!

At this point I noticed that the sky was no longer blue, so I dismantled the station and returned to the car. Just as well I did, as there was a very heavy shower of rain and hail, accompanied by squally winds.

So, the jury is still out on the relative benefits of PSK63 against PSK31. That will have to await another activation when there is no solar storm in progress!

73 de Les

In reply to G3VQO:

Les,

Thanks for the alert and commiserations on the weather and conditions.
I did look for you but apart from one or two strong CW signals my waterfall was empty for most of the relevant time. Better luck next time.

Rod

In reply to G3VQO:

Looked for your sigs on 3 bands, found nohing.
I am no good on typing and see no need for PSK63 …

73, cu on SOTA
TNx for 33 QSOs confirmed on LotW !
Mike, dj5av

In reply to G3VQO:
With PSK31/63/125 why not the default frequencies 3580, 7035, 10140, 14070, 18100, 21070.
Thats where you should try, no need to self spot because so many listen those frequencies anyway.

Jani OH9FZU

The adventure continues!

Wednesday at 04:30 found me on the road, heading for the Channel Tunnel. The journey was uneventful and, after a little shopping in Boulogne, I arrived on the summit of Mont Le Communale (F/NO-026) in plenty of time for my alerted datamode activation. The sun was just poking through the mist, and, with no breeze, it was quite comfortable despite the temperature being in single figures.

The setting-up is getting easier and faster with more practice, so I was ready to go by 09:00. I started on PSK31, having found a clear spot on 7041. All that was needed was a self-spot and we’d be in business. But no! Despite having self-spotted from here many times in the past, my attempts kept coming back as unsuccessful. Any passers-by would have been mystified to see me jumping around the field performing that strange dance called “trying to get a signal”, but every time I just got the same response. All the time I kept calling CQ, hoping for somebody to find and spot me, but the frequency remained quiet.

Eventually I looked more closely at the phone itself. It was showing a full-strength signal, but the operator that I was connected to was unfamiliar - Bouygues. Perhaps it just didn’t like text messages. I then searched my contacts list to see if I could actually make a phone call, and if there was anybody who could enter a spot for me. I found the mobile number for Andy MM0FMF, and made the call. B*&^%$!! - it wouldn’t even let me use the phone!

Whilst I was contemplating my next course of action, I glanced accusingly at the phone. Before my very eyes the connection changed to SFR. Immediately my self-spot winged its way to SOTAwatch, and my mood changed for the better. However, some forty minutes of unanswered CQs had made a dent in my battery life.

The callers now came in quick succession - well, five of them did. I was aware of a very weak caller fading in and out, but was unable to catch more than odd letters of the callsign. Eventually his signal came up at just the right moment, and my sixth QSO was completed with MW6GWR.

I then moved to 10141, self-spotted, and changed to the planned PSK63 mode. My first caller was a station on PSK31, so I didn’t find out who it was. Then came six QSOs on PSK63, which performed very well despite deeper QSB on this band.

When the frequency became quiet again, I QSYed to 14081 and switched to RTTY. This time the callers were a little unruly, with some calling repeatedly whilst I was still in QSO. However, we established some order, and I managed a total of eight QSOs before all went quiet again. A look at both watch and battery levels convinced me that moving to CW was not a viable option, so I dismantled the station and drove back to the Tunnel, now in bright sunshine.

In total I logged twenty QSOs, with eighteen different stations (Milan OM7OM found me on all three options, as always!) in eleven DXCC countries. My thanks to all, and please confirm those contacts, preferably by LOTW.

73 de Les

In reply to G3VQO:
I don’t get it, why you don’t use the normal PSK frequencies and forget the self spotting?
Of course you make it easier for the chasers, but there is hundred non-chasers who you could work easily.

Jani OH9FZU

In reply to OH9FZU:
My guess is that if you call CQ on a ‘normal’ PSK frequency, you end up with a lots of QSO’s- Yes, and they will all insist on sending you their full lot of Macros. Sitting on a cold and windy SOTA summit, I somehow don’t think that is going to be very enjoyable for very long, hi!
What say you, Les?

73 de Ken - GM0AXY

Addendum…
Looking at the Bandplans for our region 7041 is within the recommended frequency area for narrow digi modes. The 7035 - 7038 frequencies still used by most European PSK operators is now part of the CW part of the band i.e. Les did the right thing by moving his PSK up into the right part of the band.

In reply to GM0AXY:
Yes you are right, underline recommended bandplan.
He did the right thing sure but got 0 qso’s.

Could be that PSK qso’s which I have worked are different, only about 10% start sending macro hell even if I tried keeping all very short.

Should/could we test this thing?
Go to 7034 and send PSK63 at 1200-1800hz, call CQ SOTA(from your home qth) and see how many answers you get?
Is it more or less if you call just CQ, or use PSK31?
Use contest macros and see how many start sending their looong macros and how long it takes before you get to say
"k thx 73 om
cq sota cq sota
qrz qrz"

Jani OH9FZU

In reply to GM0AXY:

Yes, you are quite right Ken! Despite many suggestions to operate around the “usual” PSK frequencies, I feel that I cannot, in all conscience, operate outside the promulgated bandplan. Some may feel that I’m being pedantic, but that’s my choice. If people, SOTA chasers or casual callers alike, wish to work me. they must look above 7040.

Moving slightly off-topic, I’m just as pedantic during contests. If it’s a datamode contest, I will choose not to work any station calling below 7040. If it’s an SSB contest, I don’t even look below 7053. Of course, my efforts will not change the behaviour of others, but that’s not the point.

73 de Les

In reply to G3VQO:
Interesting point of view but I understand, selfspotting is similar issue to me.
It’s just a scheduled qso which would kill the fun of challenge for me.

Jani OH9FZU

In reply to G3VQO:
Hi Les

What are you using in terms of Battery power? For both the laptop and the radio.

Many thanks

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G8XYJ:

The laptop is powered by this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004445JK4/ref=oh_o02_s00_i03_details

I’m not sure of the finite capacity in terms of time, because I haven’t run out of power yet! It’s very light and easy to pack too.

The radio, an FT-817, is powered by an older type of battery (well, two 'cos I carry a spare) of the sort originally sold by a dealer in Wales about five years ago. The packaging, where I keep the charger, has no maker’s name or other identifying features on it. Many SOTA activators bought them at the time, so somebody else may remember more details. If I remember correctly, some months later the dealer tried to recall them all, citing some strange “safety issue”. I wasn’t convinced, and ignored all subsequent e-mails, so I’m not sure exactly what was REALLY going on. Suffice to say, no safety issues have yet surfaced!

Hope that helps Matt.

73 de Les

In reply to G3VQO:
Les,

Your link picks up a 1TB HDD for me.

73, Rod

Thanks for the corrected link. Looks interesting.

In reply to M0JLA:

Sorry - link corrected!

In reply to G3VQO:
Hi Les

That is very useful to know.

I have given up using the 817 internal batteries, they truly are awful! Instead I simply connect an external 5.2Ah LiPo, when the 817 is at 5 watts it will happily power it for about 2.5 hours on a carrier heavy mode.

For my Laptop I am using an Acer Netbook, which when of course you turn off the wireless and the screen brightness, will happily run for 5-6 hours. However of course DM780 would so put a dent in that.

With that in mind I should manage 2 hours of PSK operating. I am thinking about using the mode /p from the car/beach/HEMA.

Thanks again for the gen

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G3VQO:

I have just had a quick look at Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD5.1.1) the default for 7MHz is 7.035 for PSK31. Since this is the predominant PSK tool it is not surprising that the users are on at 7.035MHz USB.

Andrew
G4VFL