Sota usa

I see that N2YTF is planning an activation on Sunday. More details here:

http://www.qrz.com/callsign/N2YTF

His plans sound ambitious for a first attempt. If he succeeds it will be the second USA activation.

Good luck Thomas!

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

The date mentioned in the link is October 2nd, but his alert is for November 2nd.
Mike G4BLH

In reply to G4BLH:

Mike - well spotted. Perhaps the previous intention was never carried out? It did look a bit ambitious as it seemed to encompass just about every sort of radio imaginable.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G4BLH:

Sorry about the mistake on QRZ, I have corrected the reference as the operation will take place November 2nd, this coming Sunday.

Thanks so much for your encouragement. We are completely new to SOTA so please feel free to send short messages to us on APRS (N2YTF-3) with any pointers/requests during the operation. APRS will be running from the time we park until the time we return to the car and coverage is great in the area (plenty of Igates). It is about a 2 hour hike to the top and another 2 down.

If you have any suggestions before the operation, please email me at my QRZ address.

Please get the message out on the operation, as it would be great to have a mini pileup from the peak.

Tom-N2YTF

In reply to N2YTF:

Best of luck with your activation Tom. The only tip I would offer is that you may be best to concentrate on one or two objectives. Doing APRS/SSTV/PSK31/Satellite/VHF/HF-SSB/HF-CW and all bands 80m-70cm on a remote hilltop could be tricky (especially for a first activation). As far as I’m aware, successful satellite and SSTV would be firsts for SOTA activations.

I suspect that 20m CW may well give the best chance of success for contacts into Europe - 14060kHz would be good. 20m PSK31 would also be good.

You may also wish to use Spotlite

http://www.sota.org.uk/Spotlite/

This is an interface to SOTAwatch designed for mobile phones and will allow you to easily tell us what you are doing.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to N2YTF:

Hello Tom,

A lot of succes and good SOTA activation!
Looking out for you and hope tu work you on SSB. I have only 100 W and FD4 ant. NO beam ect …Sri… but I will try. Listen sometimes to Europe.

from Belgium
Luc ON6DSL

In reply to G4BLH:

Sorry about the mistake on QRZ, I have corrected the reference as the operation will take place November 2nd, this coming Sunday.

Thanks so much for your encouragement. We are completely new to SOTA so please feel free to send short messages to us on APRS (N2YTF-3) with any pointers/requests during the operation. APRS will be running from the time we park until the time we return to the car and coverage is great in the area (plenty of Igates). It is about a 2 hour hike to the top and another 2 down.

If you have any suggestions before the operation, please email me at my QRZ address.

Please get the message out on the operation, as it would be great to have a mini pileup from the peak.

Tom-N2YTF

In reply to N2YTF:

Hi Tom,

First of all good luck to your activation. In case that there is some problem with the APRS (happened to me on my last Sunday activation) it would be nice to have a list of frequencies to monitor. I agree with G3CWI that CW or PSK31 would probably have the best chances for EU. 1800 UTC is quite late here, so I do not know which band is the best from 40 m to 17 m.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL