SOTA Spotter SMS spot integration not working

Through June 2021, I could send SMS spots in SOTA Spotter. Sometime after June, I noticed SMS spots no longer were going through. Specifically, the text message window on my Pixel 3A no longer pops up for me to click/send the SMS spot.

I have run through all the checks I can think of without finding a resolution:
–I am on the current version 2.4.552
–I seem to have everything configured per the app and the YO3SAW website.
–I am using the NA SMS number, which works if I text directly vs. through the app (but the app integration with SMS is SO nice!)
–No permissions for the app are being denied on my phone.

The only other cause I can think of is a change that might have occurred as a result of an Android upgrade (I am on version 11), but since I don’t use the app every day, I can’t verify that possibility.

Is there any other check/setting I should review, or other possible fix I should try?

If not, then I guess emailing YO3SAW is the next step.

Tnx for any help.

73 Paula k9ir

1 Like

Hi Paula,
SOTA Spotter still seems to send spot via SMS OK here:

Using the UK SMS number, not the NA one.
Phone running Android 10 SOTA Spotter v 2.4.552

1 Like

I tried 2 other changes:

–Deleting and reinstalling the app did not fix the issue. I may try again with a phone reboot in between.
–Disabling spam blocking in the text app didn’t fix it (didn’t think it would, but gave it a shot)

Frank, when you send an SMS spot, does it get posted in two parts, tat is:

1. You enter the spot info in SOTA Spotter and click on SMS for the method of sending it; then
  2. Your text message app pops up with the spot text message ready to send, and you just need to click to send it.

That is how my SMS spotting used to work via SOTA Spotter. I just want to confirm that is correct behavior between SOTA Spotter and the phone’s text messaging.

73 Paula

1 Like

Hi Paula,
Not too long ago I had about the same problem after having tried to send a spot through SMS using a Spanish number listed on the SOTA spotter app, which used to work OK some long time ago.
When I was told that number wasn’t working now, I switched to the UK number and the spots went through flawlessly.
Perhaps you need to confirm whether the NA number you are sending your SMS to is working for other NA users.
Just my 2 cents.
I’ve seen you spotted on 20m some times recently but I never got to copy you. We still need some more sunspots or a bigger antenna.

Guru

1 Like

Guru, I can use the NA SMS number directly (without SOTA Spotter) to successfully send spots. I just did so earlier today (you will see a couple of test spots from me sent that way).

I also verified that the NA SMS number SOTA Spotter is using is the correct number – it is correct.

The mystery deepens…;-). I have emailed Bogdan for his input.

And yes, we do need some better prop. I have been to several summits in the last 2 months from which I’ve worked you and others. Now it seems we have slid back to poorer conditions for the moment. Better antennas always help ;-), but I will keep trying to reach non-US chasers by starting with 20M.

I also have checked the bands from the home station, where I have a 3 el SteppIR DB18E, but I’ve had no luck in hearing SOTA activators outside of the USA that I could chase…

Tnx for all the QSOs, and hope to add many more.

73 Paula k9ir

1 Like

UPDATE: Bogdan YO3SAW has verified that Android 11 causes a problem with SMS spots from SOTA Spotter.

He will check on this over the next several days and see what can be done to fix it.

73 Paula k9ir

2 Likes

Paula:

Exactly the same problem with my Pixel 4a and the problems began at the same time you have mentioned. I also contacted Bogdan who is aware of the problem. Meantime, I have just been using SMS direct without going through the app but I make far more syntax errors than I do when I use the app. Good luck to Bogdan as he works out the problems, I really miss using SOTAspotter.

Paul
VA6MPM

1 Like

I didn’t want to say it earlier but given that the problem seems to be between the request being created in SOTA Spotter and the messenger App starting up to send the prepared message, it does sound like a local problem in the phone and the fact that you have just got Android 11. That is where I would be suspicious.
In the interim, you could perhaps try a third-party SMS messaging App instead of the standard one that comes with Android, but I suspect Bogdan will need to change the App for Android 11 compatibility
73 Ed.
Update - this Textra App has good reviews - but I can’t test it on Android 11 as I only have Android 10.

This one is also very current and therefore might work better with Android 11:

1 Like

It will probably turn out to be a new Android 11 security feature that limit apps abilities to send SMS. Apps probably will need recompiling to request a specific permission that you need to approve due to scam apps in the past being able to send premium rate SMS without your knowledge.

1 Like

Hi all,

I do have a fix, but I just want to do some checks and make sure I don’t break anything else :grinning:

Andy, the security feature you’re talking about has come a long time ago. You cannot directly send SMS from an Android app, unless your app is recognized by Google as a SMS messaging app. The only thing that SOTA Spotter can do is compose the message and pass that along to the default messaging app. This used to work prior to Android 11, but now it requires some additional settings in the app manifest.

I will let you all know when I’m done.

Thanks and 73,
Bogdan YO3SAW

7 Likes

Bogdan:
Thank you for your efforts.

Paul
VA6MPM

I published an update to Google Play. It should be available within the next few hours, depending on Google.

Please let me know if you encounter any more issues.

Bogdan YO3SAW

1 Like

Wow, Bogdan, that was QUICK! Many thanks for addressing this issue so quickly. As soon as I see it on Google Play, I will install and let you know how it plays.

The good news is that in the course of trying to resolve the issue, I became aware of all sorts of other features in SOTA Spotter I simply hadn’t taken the time to learn. So I now will have even more reason to continue using this fine app!

Tnx agn.

73 Paula k9ir

1 Like

I just checked and the update was ready, and it is now working like it should. Thank you Bogdan.

Paul

1 Like

I must have checked just a few minutes too soon ;-). Loaded and working here as well.

Bogdan, many thanks for your time, effort and skills to create and maintain this excellent app. I can hardly wait to use it for my next activations.

73 Paula k9ir

1 Like

It was a simple fix, but I took the opportunity to also iron out some other rough edges. I’m glad it’s working as expected now.

Many thanks for the bug report, I rely on feedback like this!

Bogdan YO3SAW

3 Likes