SOTA Spotter self-spotting not working for me

I am unsuccessful creating self spots via internet using the SOTA Spotter android app. The result string contains no errors after posting. Can others please chime in whether they are successful or not?

Thanks/73,
Barry N1EU

I suspect SOTA Spotter is using HTTP not HTTPS and isn’t following the redirect, based on what I see in the logs:

[x.x.x.x] - - [13/Mar/2020:00:17:30 +0000] "POST /api/spots HTTP/1.1" 301 246 "-" "-"
[x.x.x.x] - - [13/Mar/2020:00:18:38 +0000] "POST /api/spots HTTP/1.1" 301 246 "-" "-"

Bogdan? @YO8SAW

Indeed, that seems to be the problem. I’ll look into it as soon as I can.

Thanks @N1EU for the report!

Bogdan YO3SAW

I presume the spotting via SMS from the app is still working - it’s alwys good to have two options if one gives a problem there is a fallback.

73 Ed.

Yes, the SMS spotting should be fine.

I am working on the fix right now, it should be ready to publish to Google Play in a few minutes.

Thanks Bogdan, The phone is on here, so I think it’ll auto update, if not I’ll reload from the play store as I’ll be using the App on my two activations this morning.

Thanks for a great App.

73 Ed.

Well, after I publish the new version it may take up to a few hours before the update is available to everyone. I cannot control that.

The update is up. Please let me know if there are any more problems.

Bogdan YO3SAW

yes understood.

OK - it hasn`t automatically updated (which as you say can take a few hours) but searching for SOTA Spotter in the Google Play App indicates there is an update available - click on that and the new version gets loaded.
I just tried a test spot, via Internet - all working - thanks.
I see you’ve changed the entry field backgrounds to a greyish colour - that’s nice.

73 & thanks Ed.

Actually, I didn’t. I just updated some libraries that SOTA Spotter uses. One of them (material) made these changes, which I don’t really like. At least on the Dark theme, which I use, some buttons are barely visible. I’ll have to check every UI element on every theme and see what’s changed.

At least spotting works, now.

Bogdan

2 Likes

Thanks Bogdan! Google Play is still showing last update of 23Nov, so will check again later.

Barry

The update is showing now on Google Play, downloaded and confirmed it is working. Thanks and well done Bogdan!

1 Like

Hi Bogdan,
Used on my activation today - all worked fine, thanks.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Hi Bogdan,
Used on all my activation - all worked fine, thanks

73 Chris

1 Like

So that is what happened. I loaded Sota Spotter a few days ago and it would not send my spots so uninstalled it thinking there was an error.

Will reload it in and see if the new version works. Hope it works with my Samsung Galaxy Tab A.

Thanks Bogdan for your efforts.

Wal VK2WP

1 Like

Sorry about that. You should have dropped me an email, I would have been happy to help.

Bogdan YO3SAW

Hi Bogdan,
Thanks, I have reloaded Sota Spotter and can see spots appearing on the screen.

However for some reason cannot send a spot. Have tried both passwords for Sotawatch 2 and the Database.
I see in my screen I have to use the Sotawatch 3 password which is the same as the Database password.

Am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks for your advice if you can. Still experimenting with settings etc.

73 Wal VK2WP

Hi Wal,

If you can use your credentials to login on the SOTAwatch3 site - https://sotawatch.sota.org.uk/ - they should also work with SOTA Spotter. What happens when you try sending a spot?

Bogdan YO3SAW