SOTA Spotter App updated

hello,

i tried the workaround that joe, oe5jfe, posted today and it did not work for me either. the app is updating now only when connected to a WLAN, but not when connected only through mobile network. all other apps (also the other sota-app i’m using “radio rucksack tool”) work 100% with only mobile network data enabled … maybe some setting in my phone is not correct?

hopefully someone has any hints … 73 martin, oe5reo

@OK1CDJ I’m sorry, I have no idea why it is not working for you. Without more details or having access to your Android device I can’t even venture a guess.

@OE5REO I suppose it is possible that your mobile operator is blocking some traffic (used for push notifications). Can you try on another mobile operator? Another thing: is SOTA Spotter permitted access to the internet via the mobile data connection? Some smartphones allow the user to select the kind of internet access permitted to each app (WiFi/Data).

solved the mystery right now. i had a look at my phone settings:

DATA USAGE / APP USAGE and saw that GOOGLE PLAY SERVICES had RESTRICTED APP BACKGROUND DATA enabled.

changed it and now it’s updating again … thanks!

73 martin, oe5reo

1 Like

I’m glad you figured it out! Unfortunately these settings are out of my control, so each user must have a minimum of knowledge about setting up and using their smartphones/tablets.

Perhaps I should write a Troubleshooting section in the Help to try to help others who may face similar issues.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Bogdan

Hello everyone,

It has taken me longer than I would care to admit, but SOTA Spotter 2.0 is just about ready to be released. I will begin rolling out the update gradually via Google Play over the next several days, so I am asking you to be patient until it becomes available to each of you.

Following is a list of changes included in this major update:

New features:

• Alerts!
  • Edit/Delete spots
  • Edit/Delete alerts
  • Added maidenhead locator grid to Summit Details
  • New notification type: Read aloud (in experimantal stage) - it should read the matching spot data using Text to Speech
  • Removed the PSK and RTTY modes in order to match the options available in SOTAwatch3
  • Dropped support for Android versions earlier than 5.0 Lollipop
  • Increased the minimum distance and time interval for location updates for Find Summits Nearby
  • A general re-design of the user interface, conforming to the Material Design guidelines
    • Added a new tab layout for switching between Spots and Alerts - you can swipe between the two, as well
    • Re-designed old app color themes and added a few new ones
    • Re-designed the Settings screen
    • Used new Material Design icons throughout the user interface
    • Added a new button for posting new spots/alerts in the bottom-right corner of the spots/alerts lists
    • Re-designed the application icon and notifications icon - adaptive icons support a variety of masks which vary from one device to another
    • Added new tool tips for some of the new features
    • Removed the back button from the title bar
    • Made the spots/alerts expandable via a small button - in order to display some extra information
    • Clicking on the summit details text in an expanded spot/alert will open the Summit Details screen
    • Re-designed the band/mode toggle buttons in the Filter/Notification properties screens
    • Added a new context menu for spots/alerts (tap and hold to open it)

Bug fixes:

• Fixed an issue when updating the spots in the local database
  • Fixed an issue deleting spots from the local database

Be aware that this update will erase any previously stored spot data in the Send spot screen.

As you can see, there are quite a few changes, and bugs are to be expected. Here are just a few known issues:

• The headers in the Alerts list get messed up when the list is modified (like when you post a new alert or delete an existing one); workaround: close/reopen the app
  • The context menu does not open if the spot/alert is expanded
  • Changes made by others to existing spots/alerts (like edits/deletions) won’t be reflected in the list if the list is open; workaround: close/reopen the app
  • Sometimes the summit points in the Alerts list won’t be visible on the first load of the list; workaround: close/reopen the app

I hope you find the update worth the rather long wait. If you are unsure how something works, please have a quick look in the Help of the application, it may conain the answers you’re looking for. If not, you’re welcome to ask me in this thread or via a direct email.

As always, I would be happy to hear your opinions and suggestions for improvements.

As a final thought, I would like to thank Jon @G4ZFZ and Andrew @VK3ARR for their work on the new API, which made some of the new features in SOTA Spotter possible.

Bogdan YO3SAW

12 Likes

Hi Bogdan,

just downloaded the new SOTA Spotter and it’s looking very nice. Thanks for your time and effort to make such a useful tool for us!

73 Martin, OE5REO

1 Like

Thanks very much Bogdan. I use your app every activation (cell service permitting) and I look forward to trying out the new version. I appreciate all of your work on it.

Malcolm VE2DDZ

1 Like

Hi Bogdan,

I got the new version! Alerts will be useful when I making daily chase plans.
I use SOTA Spotter for activation and chasing.
Thank you very much.

Aki JI3BAP

1 Like

Thank you all for your kind words, I hope you enjoy the new version!

73!

1 Like

Thanks Bogdan, absolutely brilliant!
I like it all and appreciate the addition of Maidenhead data.

73 Andrew VK1AD

1 Like

Mulțumim pentru aplicație și felicitări.

1 Like

Thank you Bogdan.

The new version appeared on my phone last night. Used the old one yesterday so looking forward to using the new version over the next few days.

73 Allan GW4VPX

1 Like

Hi,

The Google play store only offers me an old version, v 1.7.333. Which part of my phone do I hit with my tack hammer?

Ron
VK3AFW

Don’t hit it! :grinning:
Just wait a few more hours, it will show up.

Indeed, the update didn’t show up right away for me. It wasn’t until Friday evening that I received the notice on my phone for the update. I installed the update, but didn’t have time to test it at all before Saturday’s activation. I discovered on the summit that I had to update my SOTAWatch password in the app, I assume because my password for SOTAWatch2 is different than my password for the new SSO. Once I entered the new SSO password I was fine. I had no issues with the new features or the new design. I will like having the alerts in the same app as the spots.

The glitch I had yesterday wasn’t the apps fault, but had to do with an intermittent data connection on my phone. I think because I was not in my carrier’s coverage area, my phone was flipping between two other cell companies service, one of which provided a data connection, the other didn’t. When I had no connection, no new spots showed up in the app, I couldn’t tell whether it was because there were no spots, or whether it was because of a lousy data connection. It’s not a major problem, but maybe for a future update a countdown timer showing how long it has been since the app had a connection to the SOTAWatch data?

Anyway thanks again for all your work Bogdan, it is much appreciated.
Malcolm VE2DDZ

1 Like

Mulțumesc!

As a short explanation for why some of you got the update a few days later: when I upload a new version of the app to Google Play I usually start with a small percentage of the users and gradually increase it to 100% over a period of several days. I use this approach so that in case there is a critical bug in the app, not everyone is affected at once and I can halt the rollout while I investigate the problem. I have no control over who gets it first, though. I only reached full rollout (to 100% of the users) this morning.

Thanks for understanding!

Bogdan YO3SAW

2 Likes

Looks to me like their is some sort of schedule for updates and it isnt my turn yet, like Ron VK3AFW. It still hasnt reached me, perhaps Google also sets a schedule beyond what the author sets?

All my other apps are updating periodically and my Android smart phone is sset to automatically update, should i borrow Ron’s hammer?

Hi Compton and Bogdan,

When I awoke this morning I picked up my phone and saw the SOTA Spotter was missing from the screen. I found the updated version in the alphabetical listing of apps and slid it across to my SOTA related screen. The tack hammer was put back on the shadow board for another day. Thanks Bogdan for a very comprehensive update. Has a better look about it as well.

Now I need to figure out how to get the audible tone working when a new spot appears.

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

If you use at least Android 5.0 you should get the new version, but I don’t know exactly when. It usually doesn’t take more than a few hours.

Ron, have a look in the Help and see if you can get the notifications working the way you want. If not, leave a question here and I’ll try to help.

Bogdan YO3SAW

1 Like

Yes, i agree i should get it. Its Android 8.1.0.
Compton