SOTA room in Peanut

works great indeed, listening to EA4M, EA2BD, EA2IF on the sota reflector (or how do you call it ? )
Sound seems to be a bit down, need to put volume to full for some stations. Probably EA4M is not modulating enough.
Tnx for sharing, seems to be fun !!

ON6UU

Waiting for the code too…

73 Angel
M0HDF

Users of Peanut which don’t show the name may change “alias” on the DMR website.

Not sure but worth trying.

It was great to chat with so many well known SOTA friends.
Thanks, Luc, for letting us know about this app.
For future colleagues joining in, you’ll have to select Country: ALL, then the Room SOTA and that’s it.
If you don’t want to have to keep pushing PTT all the time while you are talking, all you need to do is unticking the Hold to talk box in the configuration page. Then validate.
imagen

Guru

This afternoon, several SOTA friends showed up in Peanut, great !
But most of them showed no NAME on screen.

In the Windows version of Peanut, in “Setup”, there are links to websites for registering for DMR and DSTAR. I don’t see those links in the Android app, so here they are :
DMR WORLD (non EU/AFR) : https://www.radioid.net/#!
DMR EU/AFR : https://register.ham-digital.org/
DSTAR : http://www.dstargateway.org/D-Star_Registration.html

There is no need to do this registration for using Peanut, but it would help to show your name on screen.
It’s not a big problem, since most of us know each other from … well you know, the times when we could still activate a summit !
(I sincerely hope we can leave this nightmare behind us as soon as possible … )

I’ll ask David PA7LIM how the name thing really works, and if there is another solution.

David is also working on a “background mode” for the Android app, because as it is now, the app has to be “in focus”, or you are disconnected.
So it can not work at the same time as e.g. Sota Spotter, while on a summit.

73, Luc ON7DQ

No reply on the name issue yet, but I got a tip from David about using two apps in split screen. Should work in all Android versions from 6 upward.

Just two examples,

Peanut + Dashboard

Peanut + Sota Spotter

And if you click the small line in the middle, three more options pop up

First one is for making a shortcut on your start screen, so next time you want to use the same apps in split, just click the shortcut.
The middle icon is for swapping the apps.
The bottom one is for ending the split mode.

If you have never used this split mode, there are videos on YouTube showing how to do it, look for one that uses your Android version.

Luc ON7DQ

Answer from David
The name comes from the DMR registration database.

Although there is no obligation to register with DMR or DSTAR to use the SOTA room, it is still interesting to do the registration, and explore the world of DMR and DSTAR.
With Peanut, it’s free, and since we have nothing better to do …

Luc, ON7DQ

I wonder whether we have to register D-Star to talk via Peanut on the D-Star reflectors ??
I did do the registry, awaiting answer from an admin on mail…

ON6UU

I wonder Luc if you or David know if it’s possible to implement a voice activated microphone into Peanut ?

@ON6UU
To use DMR or DSTAR, you need to register on those systems.
But the good thing is you don’t need to buy a radio :wink:

@2E0AGB
I will ask David if VOX is possible … will be continued.

Luc ON7DQ

Cheers Luc :blush:

OK I’m in and set-up (* I think). I received the access code with 5 minutes of requesting!

I don’t have a PC mic available yet but I should hopefully be able to monitor and earwig any others chatting. I don’t see or hear and activity right now - which could be because I’ve not properly completed set up* - or because there’s no activity atm!

Anyway, nice idea - let’s see what happens. Might need to dig out an old Android from somewhere for hilltop use (I’m an iPhone convert!)

1 Like

still waiting for my code, try again now

That’s the main reason why I got this app installed on my Android phone. I guess a really good phone signal will be necessary, so not all summits will allow but many will, hopefully.
I’ve been chatting very nicely with a number of SOTA colleagues and it’s working very nicely, at least from the QTH.

Guru

I doubt this will be a good thing to have. Having the possibility to untick the Hold to talk box in your own configuration, I think this is comfortable enough for the one speaking and for the ones listening it’s better seeing the PTT being pushed all the time rather than seeing it ON and OFF every now and then not knowing clearly if the one speaking has finished or not. As we spoke the other day on Peanut, it’s better that the one speaking gives over to someone rather than ending his speech not specifying who should take the mike next.
That’s just my opinion, of course.

Guru

I’ve got the SOTA room in Peanut all up and running on the shack PC. Seems to work very well. Very pleasant net going on right now with Guru @EA2IF , Lars @SA4BLM , Bruce @W2SE and Luc @ON7DQ.

Can you guys indicate how an activator might use Peanut? Can two activators chat and coordinate an S2S or can a chaser ask an activator for a QSY or ???

Yes, I imagine all of that is feasible.

Evidently I was not heard when Luc passed it to me, even though I held the PTT button down on the phone’s screen and the app has microphone permissions???

(update: all sorted and working now)

I turned that option off so you only hit the button to start and the hit it again to unkey.