SOTA, POTA, WWFF, First Activation, 3x Mountain Goat ... all in one day!

A short activation report of my recent hike to an unactivated summit (OE/ST-566) in the beautiful Nationalpark Gesäuse in Styria (OE6). The plan was to activate two summits on that day. We had to get up very early and left home at 06:00 LT. The beginning and the end of the tour was not the same … we parked our car at the carpark and took the bus to our starting point. At 07:35 LT we were starting our hike.

On the photo our summit looks like it is impossible to reach without climbing gear … but from the other side it’s not that steep. There is no marked path to the summit.

After a short flat walk we reached a nice but steep gravel road, we gained altitude very quick. Every now and then we enjoyed the views to the impressive mountains at this early hour of the day.

For the last 200 vertical meters we had to leave the gravel road and find the best way through the forest … which was not easy all the time, we were behind schedule more than 30 minutes. On such a nice day we did not want to rush from summit to summit and decided to cancel the second activation and fully concentrate on the first summit. This picture was taken 15 minutes before we reached the summit.

The activation area was rather flat, so no real problem to errect the antenna. I started calling on 15m and worked some of the usual chasers. After some QSO’s on 20m suddenly the pile-up was getting extreme … now I knew that someone had spotted me on the DXcluster with my POTA and WWFF reference. The next 30 minutes were stressful, but also nice :slight_smile:

After working 77 stations in less than 80 minutes on 15, 20 and 40m it was time to call it a day. We also had a lot of walking to do to get back to the car. Here are some impressions of the rest of the day:

We were back at the car about 8 hours after starting our hike. We walked almost 20 kilometers and gained 1150 vertical meters. The APRS iGate in my car was working fine:

Many thanks to all the chasers … it has been a great day! I also achieved mountain goat #3 today:

oe5reo_stats

73 Martin, OE5REO

32 Likes

Congratulations Martin to 1. :goat: 2. :goat: 3. :goat: :smiley:

And of course for the first activation of this summit. One of the so called guardians of the Gesäuse (with the Haindlmauer being the second). Well done on such a perfect weather day!

And big thanks for documenting every hike with GPS track and infos :+1:

73 Joe

3 Likes

Hello Martin @OE5REO. This activation will stay in your memory for a long time. Congratulations on your third mountain goat and the successful first activation :+1:

73 Marcel DM3FAM

3 Likes

Hi Martin,

Good job, thank you for your efforts to effect such a nice activation :exclamation:
Chapeau bas for 3xMG :champagne:

73, Jarek

2 Likes

Congrats on reaching 3 x mountain goat, Martin :tada: :champagne: :partying_face: :balloon:
What a great adventure and nice pile-up!
Enjoy your little herd and your beautiful summits!
73, Roman

2 Likes

Well done and beautiful looking scenery/mountains,

2 Likes

Thanks for the new one and congratulations for your third MG! :goat: :goat: :goat:
73 Fabio

2 Likes

Congratulations! And GREAT summit report!

Kent K9EZ

2 Likes

Good show, and nice pictures, Martin!

Ken

2 Likes

Congrats, Martin. Nun reicht die Ziegenmilch für eigene Käsle, hi. Tolle Bilder, schönes Erlebnis!

Enjoy, 73! Markus DIZ

1 Like

What a nice day for hiking.
Congratulations for your third MG…
:clap: :clap: :clap: :goat:

See you in Friedrichshafen for the dinner

73’ Alain

1 Like

Herzliche Gratulation zur 3. Goass und zur Erstaktivierung! :goat: :goat: :goat: :clap: :clap: :clap: :muscle: :muscle:
Das war ja wahrhaftig ein würdiger Gipfel für diesen Zweck1

Freue mich auf viele weitere S2S Verbindungen!

73, Sylvia
OE5YYN

1 Like

Dear Martin
Congratulations for your third Mgoat.
Very nice report and photos, Nationalpark Gesäuse are woderful mountain.

1 Like

Well done Martin !!! thanks also for this nice report

73 de IW0HK Andrea

1 Like