SOTA on cover of #1 ham magazine

Ever dream that you are on the cover of QST magazine, the most prominent ham radio magazine, globally?? Well, that happened to my private cap supplier and s2s partner, K7ATN, Etienne, who graces the latest QST. Should hit your mailbox any day now. Includes a comprehensive article by WW7D with every imaginable tip about SOTA operations. He took the pic on the cover. Those two guys are the association managers in Oregon and Washington. Also included in the article is WU7H, Josh, who is on the MT doing IT.

Elliott, K6EL
Sota MT

34 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

All three of these guys have been very active in SOTA over the years and instrumental in the promotion and mentoring of new Activators/Chasers into the SOTA community. My congrats for the well deserved recognition!
Guy/n7un aka nS0TA

7 Likes

Super cool, congrats!
Keith KR7RK

1 Like

Thanks Guy. You took a break from SOTA about the time that I started in 2017, so I’m very happy that you have returned. You also deserve recognition for all the work you did to get SOTA going in the USA and W7W. :beers:

It has been fun chasing / S2Sing with you. I’m looking forward to hanging out with you and the rest of the gang at the W7O campout this summer… hope we can do a hike or 2 together!

3 Likes

Vert nice!

1 Like

Brilliant work!

1 Like

And that makes me think - who has been on the front cover (doing SOTA)?

I can think of Barry @GM4TOE who once graced the front cover of Radcom from a summit, and Jimmy @M0HGY who was on the front of PW shown activating Pen-y-ghent G/NP-010.

I’m certain there’s more. If Ben @GW4BML hasn’t made a magazine cover yet, it’s surely only a matter of time… :wink:

4 Likes

I guess quite a number managed.

I managed some years ago on the cover the OE journal QSP

It shows the first activation of Mittleres Schwarzhorn OE/KT-293, 2931 m

OE6ADE Andy was featured two or three month ago with a picture of a winter activation. But the pdf is not publicly available yet.
But here the cover page:

10 Likes

Me. Radcom Centenary issue cover Jan 2013

RadCom_January-2013

They paid me for using my picture as well :wink:

Original, it was -12C in the car park, probably -15C at the summit, no wind though.

7 Likes

Well done, all!
Another very nice example for the amateur community.

73, Ken and Kay, KE7BGM

1 Like

4 Likes

That’s awesome!!!

I love chasing:)

Carl----WB7ULD

1 Like

I predate all of you on Radcom - the picture was also used by RSGB on one of their banners.

7 Likes

I was trying to find an image of the Radcom cover with that pic. It had the front page headline “Peak Practice” IIRC. Amusingly, it was not an article! I had submitted quite a number of SOTA news items in my role as Publicity Officer during the previous month - and to my surprise, the Radcom editor decided to put them all together in a full page item - and then furthermore, used one of the photos submitted as the front cover!

1 Like

congratulations looking forward to getting that edition to read. I always enjoy all the pictures that other SOTA activators post of their adventures too.

2 Likes

K7ATN, WW7D, and WU7H were all instrumental in my SOTA development. Congrats and thanks!

3 Likes

Congrats Darryl, Etienne, and Josh indeed! Always a pleasure to work these guys. I would also like to take advantage of this moment to just say that in my opinion, SOTA is the best thing to happen to amateur radio in a very long time. So thanks to Darryl, Etienne, and Josh as well as all like them that are such great ambassadors for SOTA, as well as to all those that created this invaluable facet to amateur radio and keep the lights on for all the services. Very well done all the way around. Here’s hoisting a pint to all of you.
Joe
WB7VTY

5 Likes

Richly deserved. Etienne has been an extremely generous and patient Elmer and is the sole inspiration for my journey into radio and SOTA.

2 Likes

Since 2012, the cover of QST has featured SOTA activations five times and some kind of Portable operation nine times. Steve-WG0AT was on the QST cover twice in 2016.
BTW, apparently QST doesn’t ask permission or notify you that your photo will be used - they assume that the photographer is responsible, except in the case of minors, when they get a release.
It looks like this photo was taken in June 2015 on Saddle Mountain - W7O/NC-004 during the SeaPac Hamfest on the Oregon Coast.
73, Etienne-K7ATN

3 Likes