SOTA on a golf course - Cliffe Hill G/SE-014

Indeed. Hay Bluff on the way up to Black Mountain GW/SW-041 being an obvious example.

3 Likes

Could I put forward Little Ouse? It’s actually below sea level. http://trigpointing.uk/trig/4449

5 Likes

I’d forgotten that one, the trig point on Hay Bluff is nearly 2km from the Black Mountain summit. Makes a SOTA activation a bit awkward for those chasing trig points where from memory you have to be something like no more than 30m from the trig point. :slight_smile:

A further curiosity of Black Mountain is you can activate it about a kilometre from the summit, so flat is the summit ridge.

1 Like

You can also operate the GW summit from G if you like to confuse people :rofl:

2 Likes

Impossible actually. There is no overlap of the SOTA AZ and the WAB trig point AZ, despite the fact that the SOTA AZ is rather large on this one. You can certainly combine the SOTA activation and the trig point activation into the one outing, but you can’t do them simultaneously.

3 Likes

If you activate GW/SW-041 from the English side you are also on the County Top of Herefordshire.

2 Likes

Cheers Allan😁

1 Like

Been there done that !

It is well worth the trip in the summit free flat lands.

3 Likes

I think I activated Cliffe Hill from the footpath shown on your map near the 4 in 164. It was quite a busy path but you could easily find somewhere to set up by the fence and half the people passing didn’t even notice me there.

We did G/SE-005 and G/SE-007 by train recently, ended up being a nice day out.

2 Likes

:+1: how was the journey like from the train station to the summits? I’m planning on doing them soon. Cheers

Found the Little Ouse one earlier in the year - bit dissapointed not to have found the GeoCache nearby though. Same holiday we found the Daventy Radar experment caches and the Robert Watson-Watt Radar Memorial one though so that was good.

For Botley Hill, we walked up Chalkpit Lane from Oxted. Just after you cross under the M25 and a short section of road with no footway, take the steep (sometimes slippery) public footpath up to The Ridge and find somewhere in the AZ. We went up the by way and set up at the side of the track, apparently some people go to the water works.
Walking along The Ridge to Botley Hill Farm is a bit hairy because it’s narrow with no footway but traffic was reasonably patient, avoid Titsey Road. Pitchfont Lane (byway) had notices up at the top end saying it was closed.
We think you might be able to get from London to Tatsfield using oyster although I don’t know what the walk is like to the AZ.

For Crowborough it’s a straightforward walk from the station along the road. Footway both sides but a surprising amount of distance and climbing to get the the AZ. We set up on the bench at the bus stop by the water works, 2m dipole on a 6m pole behind me while accomplice kept a lookout for police cars!
It gets quite noisy by the road so earphones might help, or find another spot in the AZ.

3 Likes

Thank you very much!!

1 Like