SOTA News

I’m pleased to see that you are fighting fit and climbing the summits again James, after your recent car accident.

Am I safe to presume that we will soon have the backlog of news in the near future?

If not and you don’t require any more news titbits, please let me know and I’ll stop making notes.

vy 73 Mike
GW0DSP

It’s now two weeks since the above post was put on the reflector but I have received no reply.

It’s now been two and a half months since the last sota news was put on the Reflector, I personally miss the news and would like to see it appear regularly again.

Maybe James or MT can let us know what is happening.

I appreciate that you had problems after a recent car accident James but it’s obvious from your recent activations that you are fully recovered from any injuries sustained.

Will someone let me know what’s happening please and if James no longer wishes to do the sota news feature, isn’t it time someone else was appointed to the task?

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:
quote === Will someone let me know what’s happening please and if James no longer wishes to do the sota news feature, isn’t it time someone else was appointed to the task?

Does this mean that since you are at home and always around the computer, you want to take the job on ?? I’m sure with all your frequency’s that you work, And stations you work, You can find more information out better than any one else. So yes i nominate you Steve (G0DSP) for the news letter author, I know that you like your write ups, so put it to the news letter and see if you can do a good or even better job than James. I’ve read some of your reports on various activations and other events, so go on give it a go,

I propose G0DSP,
any one else to second this…

Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB:

Woah Steve!!

Firstly, let’s see what is happening with James.

Secondly, presuming that James no longer wishes to do the news, I don’t think that I have the neccessary skills to put the news together, plus the fact it should and will be a MT decision.

Thanks for your comments Steve and my name is Mike, hi everyone gets the N.Wales Mafia mixed up.

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi Everyone

Apologies for both lack of news and lack of information. I used to do the news during quiet spells at work but due to internal changes I no longer have quiet spells so unfortunately the news has suffered.

I have thought long and hard about this and have decided that I will not be able to continue with it.

I hope someone else can pick it up as I have always felt it was a valuable feature (even before I did it).

I did the news on a voluntary basis and other than having the privilege of the topic being made “sticky”, there was no MT involvement apart from articles from individuals. I would therefore suggest that someone step forward to have a go rather than expecting the management team to make a decision and look to appoint someone. If anyone does offer to take this on board I will help out where I can and will try and provide at least 1 article per month.

Thanks to all for their past contributions and many apologies to those who sent me articles which never got used.

James M0ZZO

In reply to M0ZZO:

Hi James

I appreciate your reply and would like to say thank you for the news in the past.

I hope we can find a replacement in the very near future and would ask MT what is the protocol for selecting a new news person?

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

Funny you should ask that Mike.

In the beginning Shirley (MW0YLS) wrote the news monthly. Then due to other commitments it became sporadic and the questions raised in this topic were asked. I then co-wrote the news with Shirley (a month each alternating), until shirley was unable to continue.

Due to job changes and other things I could not write the news full time and questions were raised (just as in this topic) by James (and others) who then took over the news writing. Can you spot the pattern in this.

All these positions were voluntary with the person who requested the news the most getting the job of writing it :slight_smile:

Personally I enjoy reading it, and would like to see it re-instated.

Regards
Ian
G7ADF

In reply to G7ADF:

Well if that was a subtle hint Ian…

I would be prepared to give it a whirl at writing the news dependant on public opinion and that there is continued support/input from others, just as I/they used to send info to James.

I think it’s just a case of posting the news on the reflector as normal but to the news topic at the top.

Let’s see what happens then, I’m prepared to give it a go unless anyone else wants to do it and/or MT agree.

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

I would be prepared to give it a whirl at writing the news dependant
on public opinion and that there is continued support/input from
others, just as I/they used to send info to James.

Hi Mike

I think you’d do a great job… and bear in mind a good editor doesn’t need to write anything… he just makes sure his writers etc get him the right, interesting copy in good time.

How are you at badgering people? :slight_smile:

73 Marc GØAZS

In reply to GW0DSP:

In reply to G7ADF:

Well if that was a subtle hint Ian…

Yes, they dont get much more subtle than that do they :slight_smile:

To be fair, I think you would do an excelent job. You know quite a bit of what is going on and you are on the front line in terms of chasing (and activating).

Have fun
Ian
G7ADF

In reply to G7ADF:

I will give it a day or two to be fair and see if anyone else wants to be considered for the job.

If nobody else shows interest, then I will approach MT for the go ahead, probably by email Thursday morning 20/9/07 and if all’s ok with MT, I’ll start requesting stories/info and see if I can get some news out by the end of this month.

The news is a great feature and with it being sticky is a good place for folk to post forthcoming events, such as when John GW4BVE was in Ireland and Steve GW7AAV was in Scotland, plus the usual features.

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

Well I for one think you’ll do a good job Mike and as you say the news is a good feature to let members know what is going on and up and coming events.

And thanks for changing that Mike I’ve done it loads a times it’s the O & 0 it took me a time to note what was wrong hi.

73 Terry

In reply to GW0DSP:

I agree with everyone else Mike.

73 Barry M3PXW

Second that Mike, I think that in a short time you have become someone who knows a lot about SOTA and cares about SOTA hence all the topics you started and replied in.

Personnally I think we couldn’t ask for a better journalist who gives us a view on past months events.

Peter

Well volunteered Mike. Let me know your publication date and I will try to provide some material.

73 John GW4BVE

In reply to GW4BVE:

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and support.

The state of play at the moment is that nobody else seems to be coming forward, so I have now formally approached MT via email to get the go ahead officially.

It’s in MT hands now and on their approval, I will start putting a short newsletter together for publication at the end of the month.

Thank you John GW4BVE and others who have offered to contribute to the news as you did with James and I will definitely be more than pleased to receive any such contributions, once/if it is made official by MT.

vy 73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Any news on the News from the SOTA MT yet Mike? Seems a long time to get a response when you have volunteered for a vacant position.

73 John GW4BVE

Some of the team are away at present John. I am in touch with Mike via direct email, and keeping him informed, as I am sure he will confirm.

Cheers, Tom

In reply to 2E0HJD:

Hi Mick
Good proposal. I enjoyed the forum and was dissapointed when it dissapeared. A much more user freindly site and certainly offered much with the various folders incorporated within. I would second that proposal.

Good luck with the SOTA news Mike, right man for the job.

Ian
2E0EDX

In reply to 2E0HJD:

What’s the difference Mick, I would still require an answer from MT.

73 Mike