SOTA News June 2018

SOTA NEWS JUNE 2018 - Part 1 of 2

Editorial - by Mark G0VOF
Welcome to the June 2018 edition of SOTA News.
Apologies again for the late publication of this edition. Since January I have been suffering from Depression , which for those unfamiliar with the condition may not sound like much, but it affects every aspect of your life. Thankfully I am on the mend & hope that normal service will resume shortly.

My thanks go to the following contributors:- Barry GM4TOE, Skip K6DGW, Kevin G0NUP, Andrew G4VFL, Paulo CT2IWW, Guru EA2IF, John N0EVH, Tom M1EYP.

73, Mark G0VOF

========================================================
The May 2018 edition of SOTA News was viewed more than 918 times.

SOTA AWARDS MAY 2018 from Barry GM4TOE - SOTA Awards Manager.

Another busy month for awards with some catching-up to do after a short vacation.

Congratulations to Mountain Goats IW2OBX, YO6EVA, VE2DDZ, OM6CUG, OT6V and LZ1GJ and Shack Sloths DL9KWA, K6MW, M6NSV and N1ZF. Prolific chasers ON4FI, KI4TN and K3TCU are amongst the high scoring Chasers this month and G4OOE a high scoring Activator.

Special mention this month to OK2PDT who has managed to “Complete” 1000 summits (Activated and Chased – no mean feat just activating 1000 summits too). New to the awards list, and a first from South America, is PR8ZX; all we need to do now is get some Activation awards from these new Associations.

Trophies Issued

Mountain Goat
IW2OBX Roberto Polvara
YO6EVA Eva Gajdo
VE2DDZ Malcolm Harper
OM3CUG Igor Frola

Shack Sloth
DL9KWA Karl-Hermann Wolski
K6MW Mike Wood

Certificates Issued

Activator
G4OOE Nick Langmead 2500 points
OT6V Rene Van de Wiele 1000 points
LZ1GJ Jany Ganchev 1000 points
YO6EVA Eva Gajdo 1000 points
OM3CUG Igor Frola 1000 points
AE5KA Chip Stratton 500 points
NA6MG Daniel Ducey 500 points
M0BLF Dominic Smith 500 points
ZL2AJ Warren Harris 250 points
DO5TMM Marcel Muller 100 points
SQ9RZA Grzegorz Bakalarczyk 100 points
AE0AX Stuart Cox 100 points
9A2GA Boris Lanca 100 points

Chaser
ON4FI Karel Naessens 75000 points
KI4TN Ron Burns 10000 points
K3TCU Gary Kulling 10000 points
OM3CUG Igor Frola 5000 points
9A2GA Boris Lanca 1500 points
AA1VX Dave Glow 1500 points
DL9KWA Karl-Hermann Wolski 1000 points
M6NSV Neil Smith 1000 points
N1ZF Paul Pribula 1000 points
SQ9RZA Grzegorz Bakalarczyk 500 points
SP9SOL Jacek Nawrot 500 points
SQ9RZA Grzegorz Bakalarczyk 250 points
SP9MOV Krzysztof Krawiec 250 points
W5IJH Jeff Pennington 250 points
SQ9PNV Pawel Kektor 100 points
SQ9RZA Grzegorz Bakalarczyk 100 points
W5IJH Jeff Pennington 100 points
SP9OZI Krzysztof Roman 100 points
AA4SB Steven Bouck 100 points
PR8ZX Pedro Nogueira 100 points
KI7OFN Estell Countryman 100 points

Activator Unique
OK2VWB Wieslav Bajger 250 summits
M3TMX Jordan Harrop 100 summits

Chaser Unique
K3TCU Gary Kulling 1000 summits
AA1VX Dave Glow 250 summits
AA1VX Dave Glow 100 summits
SQ9RZA Grzegorz Bakalarczyk 100 summits

Summit to Summit
SP9PND Milosz Kocierz Platinum
SP9PND Milosz Kocierz Gold
OM3CUG Igor Frola Gold
YO8AZQ Adrian Done Silver
SP9PND Milosz Kocierz Silver
SQ9APD Bartosz Kuzma Bronze
SP9PND Milosz Kocierz Bronze
SQ9RZA Grzegorz Bakalarczyk Red
SP9PND Milosz Kocierz Red

SOTA Complete
OK2PDT Jan Lavicka 1000 summits

Mountain Explorer
K7MAS Mark Sandler Silver
K0NR Bob Witte Silver
KR7RK Keith Schlottman Silver
OK2VWB Wieslav Bajger Bronze
VE2DDZ Malcolm Harper Bronze

Mountain Hunter
K3TCU Gary Kulling Platinum
OM3CUG Igor Frola Platinum
OK7JR Jan Reznicek Bronze
PR8ZX Pedro Nogueira Bronze
SV2HSY Efthymios Nikolaou Bronze

Microwave Award
G4WHA Geoff Harper 100 km 23 cm
G4WHA Geoff Harper 50 km 23 cm
GM4WHA Geoff Harper 50 km 23 cm

Not a lot to add this month; the Blackpool and Glasgow rallies provided an opportunity to meet with the SOTA community and I took the chance to have a quick chat with G3CWI and 2E0YYY who both had trade stands in Glasgow – I hope it was worth the long trip North.

Only one error in award applications this month and it was easily corrected. Accuracy definitely makes my life easier with more than 70 awards to handle in a month – and a significant number of merchandise orders too.

I managed a quick activation on the way to Glasgow – three S2S on 13cm and the summit qualified with a random 4m FM qso (I don’t know who was more surprised at that contact, GM4ODW or me; 4m can be rather quiet up here outside contests).

Please take care and be safe on the hills

Barry GM4TOE
SOTA Awards Manager

NORTH AMERICAN REPORT from Skip K6DGW

Greetings from North America and what a difference Spring makes! We’re up to a mean of 3 activations per activator for May, and we’re holding pretty close to our mean of 13 QSO’s per activation. I really don’t believe those two VLF QSO’s but I’ve been wrong before. CW is holding in there for about 3/4 of all QSO’s. These statistics do not include the Costa Rica Association [see below].

NA Statistics for May
Produced: 05/30/2018 at: 18:51:59 UTC

Total Activations:    697  [130]
   Total Activators:    209  [75]
 Total Chaser QSO's:   9056  [1625]
      Total Chasers:    310  [149]
     Unique Summits:    518  [104]

BAND     #               LAST MONTH
 VLF:    2  (  0.0%)  [    0 (    0%)]

3.5MHz: 35 ( 0.3%) [ 6 ( 0.3%)]
5MHz: 361 ( 4.0%) [ 71 ( 4.4%)]
7MHz: 1818 ( 20.2%) [ 489 ( 30.3%)]
10MHz: 1427 ( 15.9%) [ 262 ( 16.2%)]
14MHz: 4562 ( 50.9%) [ 693 ( 43.0%)]
18MHz: 318 ( 3.5%) [ 33 ( 2.0%)]
21MHz: 43 ( 0.4%) [ 2 ( 0.1%)]
28MHz: 43 ( 0.4%) [ 13 ( 0.8%)]
50MHz: 1 ( 0.0%) [ 0 ( 0%)]
144MHz: 341 ( 3.8%) [ 36 ( 2.2%)]
433MHz: 6 ( 0.0%) [ 4 ( 0.2%)]
1240MHz: 3 ( 0.0%) [ 0 ( 0%)]

MODE # LAST MONTH:
AM: 3 ( 0.0%) [ 0 ( 0%)]
CW: 6710 ( 74.9%) [ 1191 ( 74.0%)]
Data: 8 ( 0.0%) [ 0 ( 0%)]
FM: 344 ( 3.8%) [ 39 ( 2.4%)]
Other: 4 ( 0.0%) [ 0 ( 0%)]
SSB: 1889 ( 21.0%) [ 378 ( 23.5%)]

AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS: John, N0EVH, reported that Charles, K0LAF, has reached 40,000 chaser points and is now the leader in the W0M association. Congratulations Charles!

Etienne, K7ATN, pointed me to:

the results of the 2018 ARRL Jan VHF contest. W7A put in a concerted effort in Arizona and had 13 activators who worked 600 QSO’s. Pete, WA7JTM, also pointed out: “This article really focuses on SOTA in a big way throughout the article, and illustrates how the Arizona SOTA group went all out for the contest, making it maybe the “busiest January Contest” ever here in Arizona. As the author states SOTA was a ‘Big Deal’ in this contest across the USA and especially here in Arizona. He begs for more of the same in future contests, as SOTA, VHF, hill topping, and VHF contests are a perfect fit. SOTA already is included in the QRPTTF event every year, so here are more opportunities for SOTA ops to get involved.”

With the ARRL Grid Chase this year and the fact that many summits are in rare grid squares that are mainly inaccessible to those in vehicles, SOTA activations can really make a VHF contest interesting.

John, VE3IPS provided a summary of his activation of VE3/SO-101 which you can read at

VE3/SO-101 – 409m, 2 Points SOTA Summit (Height 1342 ft) | ve3ips.

Now, this is a 409 meter 2-point summit, but I include it in achievements because, looking back in the NA SOTA archives, I believe this is the first VE3 activation report we’ve ever had. Thanks John.

NEWS: I asked Ward, N0AX if he could enlighten the SOTA folks on several growing movements for increasing youth interest in ham radio and the many related things that were going to be on display at the Xenia Hamvention [aka “Dayton”]. He wrote this prior to the event, and its magnitude and breadth was both surprising and pleasing.

“There is an encouraging number of new initiatives, events, modes, and groups through ham radio today, all pushing the envelope in one way or another. I started calling this ‘Ham Radio 2.0’ a few years ago in the sense of new ways building from and on the old ones to make something different, yet fulfilling the Basis and Purpose. I don’t claim any ownership of the term - Jason, KC5HWB, has a dandy YouTube channel with the same name (https://www.youtube.com/user/kc5hwb) and there is a Facebook group with that name as well. It’s all good - lots of potential out there.”

“SOTA is one of those new HR2.0 groups. SOTA has been responsible for a lot of interest in QRP and portable operating, combined with interests in geography, outdoor activities, and physical fitness, plus using the internet to alert people of new activations and to discuss the results. This hybridization is a hallmark of innovation, whether technical, artistic, or cultural. It gives a new energy to amateur radio, brings in new people, and new ideas, too. The ‘OTA’ meme is also catching on - look for the long-active IOTA, plus YOTA, and NPOTA, for example - with the most important aspect being ‘on the air’ using our bands and privileges. What’s not to like?”

“In order to create a little synergy and help people make connections between groups and themes, the Yasme Foundation (yasme.org) decided to create a ‘2.0 Row’ area at the Hamvention to provide a gathering and socialization center. The ground-breaking HamSCI (hamsci.org) group was right next door, along with FIRST Robotics and the Hamvention’s Youth Tech area. HamSCI and HR2.0 decided to share a presentation schedule resulting in the list of talks published on the SOTA website. We were worried about having enough interest - now we’re worried about being overrun! That’s the right problem to have.” Thanks Ward!

Iceland [TF] is technically in Europe, but since close neighbor Greenland [OX] is technically in North America for amateur radio purposes, I picked this up from the Elecraft list from Yngvi, TF3Y:

“I thought some here might enjoy some photos from my first SOTA activation
using my brand new Elecraft KX2. This transceiver is absolutely brilliant
for SOTA! Mine has the built in ATU and used the built in Lithium battery
pack. The antenna was a 58’ LW held up using a 13.5’ fiberglass pole from
sotabeams.co.uk with a 12.8’ insultated counterpoise laying on ground.
Everything performed perfectly. The farthest QSO was with K6MW in WA.”

"Here is a link to the photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qLDY9cT6tWZaAdzm9 "

and congratulations to Michael, K6MW, too, TF’s not a common prefix to work, and on a summit as well.

Vick, K7VK, reported for W7M:

"The snowline is rapidly receding in Montana and the 4 & 6-point summits are opening on their southern aspect. Taking advantage of that in May were Lance, W7GJ, Matt, KF7PXT, and Rob, AE7AP.

Recent Shack Sloth turned Activator W7GJ crossed a few snow drifts to activate his first summit, Blue Mountain W7M/LM-121. He is pioneering FT8 SOTA activations and has been successful on Six Meters and on HF. KF7PXT activated two summits braving the elements and reporting ‘horrendous bugs’ that shortened his activations. It must be time to carry that DEET and bug netting. AE7AP, Rob activated four summits climbing over the winter’s ‘downfall of trees’ and as in most areas of Montana carrying recommended bear spray along with his SOTA gear. As he hiked with his XYL Barb, AE7AQ, he spotted a snowshoe hare in the trail and exclaimed ‘Barb – there is a Hare – get in front of me’ (to take a photo). Barb heard ‘Bear’ – but didn’t hesitate! Now that’s an amazing XYL!

“K7VK, Vick avoided the snow and bugs by heading to Washington State activating three Washington and Oregon State-Forest summits. KI7WBJ, Charles had an even warmer weather experience activating a Georgia summit, Blood Mountain W4G/NG-004. Thanks Chasers!”

While I’m not sure how this found it’s way into my email inbox, it appears that Allan, operating as TI/K3LL activated the 8 point Cerro Barbacoas, TI/SJ-037 back in April. I’ll have to do some research on this, I was unaware we had a Costa Rica Association.

One last item in the ham radio youth department, on Sat, June 9, we will have K7RC on the air from the Nevada Space Center as part of a youth science and space exhibition. We’ll be operating W7RN remotely on SSB and we’re expecting a fair contingent of Scouts as well as other kids. I’ll monitor SOTAWatch looking for activations to contact. We’re not on a summit but feel free to call and give the kids a thrill if you hear us. I suspect most operation will be on either 15 [if open] and 20. W7RN has an S-zero noise level, 1500 watts, and a very high coefficient of aerial aluminum so we should be able to hear most everyone. The station is in DM09ei and Storey County NV if you need either. We’ll be on from about 1500 - 1930 UTC.

Skip K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
NA SOTA Reporter Dude

============================================================

A Couple of First’s – Andrew G4VFL

Congratulations to Andrew G4VFL on achieving a couple of SOTA First’s!

1st recorded chase of ZB2/GI-001 (Rock of Gibraltar) - 11th May on 50MHz sporadic E

1st UK S2S cross association border on 2.3GHz - UKAC (RSGB UK Activity Contest) Tuesday 22nd May

G/LD-030 <-> GI/MM-017

G/LD-030 <-> GM/SS-065

============================================================

SOTA Portugal – Paulo CT2IWW

On may 12th, about two dozen SOTA enthusiasts gathered in Lisbon to attend the 5th SOTA Portugal’s annual meeting of activators and chasers.

The event was opened by Francisco Gonçalves, CT1DL, head of the ARVM club, who welcomed all participants to the meet that took place in that club’s headquarters.

Pedro Carvalho, CT1DBS, proceeded with a presentation of the SOTA program and was followed by Paulo Teixeira, CT2IWW, who made the balance for the previous year’s activity in Portugal. Despite an activation slowdown from 2016 (undoubtedly due to an abnormal fire season) , the program continues to follow the growing tendency registered since 2014.

The following demonstration was by Nuno Freitas, CT2IUV, who made a very informative presentation regarding proper clothing and individual protection gear for outdoors activities.

To close the morning proceedings, João Morgado, CT1BQH, made his case for the use of CW on SOTA activities. Mr. Morgado, who is currently the top chaser in Portugal, went into details on how to prepare and proceed with both activation and chasing operations using that mode.

After the lunch break, Pedro Carvalho took over the floor, making a thorough presentation on IT tools to use in support of activations, namely SOTA Maps, SOTA Database and the SOTAWATCH alert and spots page.

The talk schedule was rounded up by Emmanuel Lomba, CT7AFR, who made a very complete presentation on portable power and battery choices for the activator and /P activities in general.

After closing of the presentation schedule, the participants engaged in a general discussion of diverse matters regarding SOTA Portugal, namely the vacancy of the national Association Manager post. It was agreed, also, that the next yearly meeting will occur in the district of Santarém, as per offer by João Coelho, CT1BWU, who took on the responsibility for its organization.

As usual, the next day (Sunday, 13th) was reserved for group activation, which took place in Arrábida, CT/ES-003.

dscn0005-e1526517010413

73, Paulo CT2IWW

*********** SOTA NEWS PART 2 FOLLOWS BELOW ********

3 Likes

SOTA NEWS JUNE 2018 - Part 2

=========================================================

SOTA News from Iberian America – Guru EA2IF

After checking the SOTA database, I’ve found that on April 21st, the day of the last Trans-Atlantic S2S event, 2 SOTA activations were carried out from Central and South American countries and we didn’t know about them.

Allan, TI/K3ALL activated the 8 pointer summit of Cerro Barbacoas (TI/SJ-037) managing to log 4 QSOs on 40m SSB, all of them with chasers in Costa Rica (TI).

Fabio PY2RMZ activated the 8 pointer summit of Pedra Grande (PY2/SE-002) managing to log 20 QSOs on 10m SSB with chasers from Argentina, Brazil, USA, Chile and Bolivia.

No S2S in any of these activations, but it’s a good start though.

It’s also worth highlighting a pioneer SOTA activation, the 1st in the XE2 association of Aguascalientes, Mexico, carried out by José XE2N from the summit XE2/AG-008, although just 1 QSO on 2m FM was logged.

Other SOTA activations took place in PY2 in April, like the one carried out by João Carlos PY2GTA/P from the 6 pointer summit PY2/SE-012, which was the 1st SOTA activation from Brazil in which he logged a total of 17 QSOs on the bands/modes of 15 and 20m-DATA, 40m and 20m-SSB and 2m-FM, and the activations carried out by PY2LCD, one from the summit PY2/SE-002, another from PY2/SE-011, in none of which he logged the minimum 4 QSOs required to claim the corresponding activator points. In the first one he only logged 2 QSOs with PY chasers on 20m SSB and in the second one he logged 3 QSOs with Spain, Germany and USA on 15m SSB.
We start to see some activators and chasers from the Iberian-American countries and it’s a joy that the interes and participation in SOTA are little by little growing.
We would love seeing in the SOTA Reflector the activation reports with their experiences and anecdotes, as well as the pictures of those summits and the landscapes that can be enjoyed from there and the portable stations that the activators set up to carry them out.

Best 73,

Guru EA2IF

=========================================================

Quadruple Super Sloth – John N0EVH

From W0M we have a new 4X Super Sloth chaser!

In May Charles K0LAF reached 40,000 chaser points. The leader in our association!

John N0EVH
SOTA W0M Association Manager

======================================================

SOTA-LINK – Tom M1EYP

SOTA-LINK is an experimental back-channel to support SOTA (Summits on the Air) activations, and facilitate group chats between SOTA enthusiasts all over the world. The project uses WIRES-X room 44050, which is connected to the Macclesfield System Fusion gateway MB6SO (144.8375MHz).

This is linked to the Brandmeister DMR server TG973, thus allowing access via DMR. It is hoped to be able to allow connection using other digital voice modes in the future.

The project is in its early stages of development, but has already seen C4FM and DMR users connecting in and facilitating SOTA QSOs.

Note that QSOs for the SOTA awards must be direct and not supported through repeater networks and gateways, so communications via SOTA-LINK themselves would not count.

Thank you to Richard G3CWI for devising and developing the SOTA-LINK project.

FT70D%20Sotalink

======================================================

SOTA ON TOP BAND - Mark G0VOF

Hello everyone & welcome to this month’s edition of SOTA on Top Band.

One activator took to the band this month during expeditions that took him the GM/NS & G/NP.

On 10th May John G4YSS using the GM variaint of the Scarborough Special Events Group club call GS0OOO/P activated GM/NS-005 Ben Wyvis. During a marathon activation John made one successful CW QSO on Top Band with Ray GM3PIL.

GM/NS-005 Activation report:

G4YSS: GM/NS-005 Ben Wyvis,12-05-18

On 23rd May John was out again, this time for an overnight activation of G/NP-011 Great Coum. This was much more successful on 160m with a fine total of 13 QSO’s (6 CW/ 7 SSB) made in the late evening.

G/NP-011 Activation report:

G4YSS:G/NP-011 Summit Camp & 160m, 23 & 24-05-18

Thanks & very well done John, my antenna is still down from the “Beast from the East” earlier in the year & with illness I haven’t been inclined to repair it, I hope to do so soon.

On 10 May, John GS0OOO/P (GM4YSS/P) Activated GM/NS-005 Ben Wyvis & made 1 QSO’s (1 CW / 0 SSB)
On 23 May, John GX0OOO/P Activated G/NP-011 Great Coum & made 13 QSO’s (6 CW / 7 SSB)

As always, If you do have any suggestions on things that you think should be included, or if you wish to contribute tips, ideas or anything else that you think may help others on the band please email them to me at mark@brownhill.demon.co.uk

Until next month,

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

SOTA ACTIVITY REPORT FOR MAY 2018 by Kevin G0NUP

Mode: CW on 1.8MHz: activity for May

GS0OOO/P, GX0OOO/P

Mode: CW on 3.5MHz: activity for May

DL/ON6UU/P, DL4MFM/P, F5UBH/P, F5UKL/P, GM4YSS/P, GR7OOO/P,
GS0OOO/P, GX0OOO/P, HB9BCB/P, JA4RQO/4, K7ATN, K7F,
K7VK, KI4TN, KW4JM, LA1KHA/P, NA6MG, OK1MLP/P,
OK2PDT/P, VK3BYD/2

Mode: CW on 5MHz: activity for May

AA6XA, DF3MC/P, DJ9MH/P, DK2JK/P, DL/HB9BRJ/P, DL4MFM/P,
DL4MHA/P, DL4TO/P, F/HB9DBM/P, G8CPZ/P, GS0OOO/P, HB9AFI/P,
HB9AGO/P, HB9BCB/P, HB9BIN/P, HB9CBR/P, HB9CGA/P, HB9DBM/P,
HB9DQM/P, HB9EWO/P, HB9JOE/P, K0MP, K1JD, K2JB,
K3JZD, K4QS, K6HPX/P, K7PX, K7VK, K7ZOO,
K9PM/P, KI4TN, KR7RK, KW4JM, KX0R, N0MAP,
N0TA, N1ZF, N7LP, NA6MG, NJ7V, NK8Q,
OK/DL8DXL/P, OK/SP9PND/P, OK1IF/P, OK1USP/P, SP9PND/P, W0/DL6AP/P,
W1EJ, W5/DL6AP/P, WA2USA/P, WA6MM, WA9STI, WG0AT

Mode: CW on 18MHz: activity for May

AA0BV, AA6XA, AC7P, AD5A, CT1DBS/P, CT7ABE/P,
DF2DR/P, DL/HB9BRJ/P, DL/OE5EEP, EA2WX/P, EA3/HB9CMI/P, F/HB9CBR/P,
F/PB2T/P, F4HOD/P, F5UKL/P, F6HBI/P, GM0HIO/P, HB9AGO/P,
HB9BIN/P, HB9CBR/P, HB9CGA/P, HB9DBM/P, HB9DQM/P, HB9FPM/P,
HB9JOE/P, JA4RQO/4, JA9WWH/1, JF1NDT/1, JF1NDT/2, JG1GPY/1,
JG4LCS/4, JH0CJH/JR6, JI1OOP/1, JL1NIE/1, JP3DGT/3, JP3PPL/3,
JS6TMW/6, K0MP, K1JD, K5DEZ, K6HPX/P, K7ATN,
K7FOP, K7PX, K7ZOO, K9PM/P, KD0YOB, KI4TN,
KR7RK, KX0R, LA3BO/P, LA9PJA/P, N0TA, N1ZF,
N7LP, N7RR, NA6MG, NK6A, NS1TA, NU7A,
OE5EEP/P, OK/OM6TC/P, OM6TC/P, RX9WT/P, S52AU/P, SV2OXS/P,
VK3BYD/2, W0/DL6AP/P, W4XEN, W5/DL6AP/P, W7KKM, WA6MM,
WA9STI, WC0Y, WG0AT, WW7D, WX4TW, ZL1BYZ

Mode: CW on 21MHz: activity for May

DF3MC/P, DL/OE5EEP, F/HB9CBR/P, HB9BCB/P, HB9BIN/P, HB9CBR/P,
JA4RQO/4, JF1NDT/1, JF1NDT/2, JG1GPY/1, JG4LCS/4, JH0CJH/JR6,
JP1QEC/1, JP3DGT/3, JS6TQS, K1JD, K5DEZ, K7FOP,
K9PM/P, KR7RK, KX0R, NA6MG, NU7Y, OE5EEP/P,
VK1MCW, VK2NU/P, VK3BYD/2, VK5CZ, W1PQO, WW7D,
WX4TW, ZL1BYZ

Mode: CW on 24MHz: activity for May

HB9CBR/P, HB9DQM/P, JA9WWH/1, JF1NDT/1, JF1NDT/2, JH0CJH/JR6,
JP1QEC/1, KR7RK

Mode: CW on 28MHz: activity for May

DF3MC/P, DL/HB9BRJ/P, DL4TO/P, DL6FBK/P, F/HB9CBR/P, HB9BIN/P,
HB9CBR/P, JA4RQO/4, JA9WWH/1, JF1NDT/1, JF1NDT/2, JH0CJH/JR6,
JP3DGT/3, JP3PPL/3, K5DEZ, K7ATN, K7IMA, K9PM/P,
KB9ENS, KR7RK, LA3BO/P, LA9PJA/P, NA6MG, OE5EEP/P,
OK2PDT/P, OK2PYA/P, W7KKM

Mode: CW on 50MHz: activity for May

JA4RQO/4, JF1NDT/1, JF1NDT/2, JM3HRC/3, KR7RK, M1EYP/P,
SV2OXS/P

Mode: CW on 1240MHz: activity for May

DM7N

Mode: FM on 28MHz: activity for May

DG7ACF/P, JM1NCT

Mode: FM on 50MHz: activity for May

6K5XZE/P, G1ZAR/P, JE2VJP/2, JK8DYW, M1EYP/P

Mode: FM on 1240MHz: activity for May

2E0MIX/P, DL1CR/P, DL9NCI/P, G4VFL/P, G4WHA/P, JS1GRO/1,
K0JJW, K0NR, KE7UIU, M0IML/P, M0YHB/P, MM0FMF/P,
OE5EEP/P

Mode: SSB on 5MHz: activity for May

DK1TBL, DK9JC/P, DL/ON7DQ/P, DL1CR/P, G0AZB/P, G3RDQ/P,
G4VPX/P, G6PJZ/P, G6WRW/P, G8XDD/P, GI0AZA/P, GW4TQE/P,
GW4ZHI/P, K1LIZ, KC4WZB, KI4SVM, KI4TN, KN4BBC,
KR7RK, M0IML/P, M0JLA/P, MM0JLA/P, MW0IML/P, N3ICE,
N4HNH, OK/SP9PND/P, WA9STI, ZL1BYZ, ZL2AJ, ZL2ATH

Mode: SSB on 28MHz: activity for May

CT7ABA, DG7ACF/P, DL/OE5JKL/P, DL6FBK/P, K0BH, KF7SEY,
KJ4ZFK, LA5WNA/P, M0NOM/P, OE5REO/P, S56LXN/P, S57MS/P,
VA2MO, VE3IPS, W7GJ

Mode: SSB on 50MHz: activity for May

AF6RT, GM7PKT/P, IU1AUG/IX1, JA1CTC/1, JE2VJP/2, JE7RMV/7,
JF1NDT/1, JF3FGL/3, JF3NTU/3, JF3NTU/4, JH1EWV/1, JH1EWV/2,
JI1OOP/1, JI1TLL/1, JI1TLL/3, JJ0TRY/0, JJ0TRY/1, JL1BWG/1,
JL1NIE/1, JM1NCT, JM3GVH/3, JM3HRC/2, JM3HRC/3, JM3URG/3,
JM3URG/4, JR1NNL/1, JS1JNM/1, JS2VVH/2, M1EYP/P, OE9TKH/P,
OK2VBZ/P, S56LXN/P, S57MS/P, W7GJ, WX7MB

Mode: SSB on 1240MHz: activity for May

DL4MFM/P, DM7N, S54LD/P, VK1AD/2, VK1AD/P, VK1MA,
VK1RX

73 De Kevin G0NUP

SOTA News is normally published on the last day of each month, but there will be occasions when the Editor is not available at this time, in which case it will be published as soon as possible afterwards.

It can only be as interesting as the items submitted, so if you think your particular field of interest is not being covered then please submit an article by the 25th of the month.

Have you a favourite SOTA? favourite mode? favourite rig, antenna, or favourite band? How did you find your first day / month / year as an activator or chaser? Your comments and experiences will be read by enthusiasts all across Europe, the USA, Australia and beyond, in a total of 114 different SOTA associations worldwide. Your input will be most welcome.

We receive many e-mails during the month containing details of activations, milestones reached and general SOTA news. Unless advised otherwise we will use this information in the next edition of SOTA News. It is important therefore that you advise us if any information is not intended for publication.

For ease of processing, please submit your input by e-mail direct to the addresses below and not via the Reflector.

==================================================

Mark G0VOF
SOTA News Editor
mark@brownhill.demon.co.uk

U.S. and Canadian reports to:-
Fred K6DGW/7 [aka “Skip” on the radio]
Canada/US SOTA Reporter Dude
Sparks NV
k6dgw@foothill.net

Australian input to:-
Allen VK3ARH
VK Reporter
VK3ARH@wia.org.au

New Zealand input to:-
Warren ZL2AJ
warren@zl2aj.com

Japanese reports to
Toru JH0CJH
jh0cjh@jarl.com

South African input to:-
Dennis ZS4BS
zs4bs@netactive.co.za

Sorry but I think the first 2.3GHz cross border S2S was this one 10months previously.

01/Jul/2017 10:20 MM0FMF/P GM/SS-238 to GI7UGV/P	 GI/MM-017 

More importantly :+1: for the news on the improvement in your condition and best wishes for a speedy recovery Mark.

1 Like

Hi Mark,

we all missed the news but are grateful to you for assembling and publishing it.

Wishing you all the best dealing with depression, our family knows a bit about that. in many ways SOTA activations are an excellent method of dealing with it.

73 Andrew VK1DA/2UH

3 Likes

Hi Mark, Thanks for another concise news. You may be a bit late putting it on but I’m a lot late reading it. Almost time for the next one.

Very pleased to hear you’re on the mend Mark. I hope you will be your old self again soon but these things take time. I know first hand.

Thanks for the Top Band report. Seems so long ago, I’d forgotten about the Ben Wyvis one.

Congrats to Nick G4OOE on attaining 2500 points. It seems just a short time since Nick started SOTA so he’s done well to get that cert.

Looking forward to the next news.
All the best, John.