SOTA News August 2017

SOTA NEWS AUGUST 2017 - Part 1 of 2

Editorial - by Mark G0VOF
Welcome to the August 2017 edition of SOTA News. My thanks go to the following contributors:- Barry GM4TOE, Skip K6DGW, Roy G4SSH, Kevin G0NUP, Rob and Audrey G4RQJ, Warren ZL2AJ, Toru JH0CJH, Luc ON7DQ, Bob F5HTR.

73, Mark G0VOF

========================================================
The July 2017 edition of SOTA News was viewed more than 1,210 times.

SOTA AWARDS July 2017 from Barry GM4TOE - SOTA Awards Manager.

July has been a very busy month (again) for awards but, in particular, trophies. Stock was briefly reduced to zero but our supplier managed to supply replacement blanks in a reasonable timescale. Most will have been shipped but a couple are still with the engraver. Congratulations to all Mountain Goats and Shack Sloths, your achievements are remarkable. Unfortunately DS3FYA is not listed on qrz.com so I do not have your name for a name-check in this report.

Amongst other achievements that I am highlighting this month M0JLA with 2500 Activator points, OK2QA on 25k Chaser points, with hot on his heels prolific Chaser Karl, M3FEH, on 20k (and 3k Unique summits too) – no mean achievement when limited to just 10 watts, SSB only and simple antennas. Having spent some time this month actively chasing (OK, from a very northerly location in the UK) I can appreciate how hard it is to accumulate high points when the Sun is not playing.

One other certificate worth mentioning is the Microwave Award for VK1AD at over 300 km on 23 cm – not easy to do especially with limited equipment (although I gather the other station had “big ears”!)

Trophies Issued

Mountain Goat
K9PM Paul M Mueller
N0TA John Reilly
KE7BGM Katherine McDonough
AC1Z Robert Daniels
WG0AT Steve Galchutt
OM6TC Jozef Stefik
W6PNG Paul Gacek

Shack Sloth
LA3NGA Henning Theodorsen
HL3ANE Harry Cheong
DS3FYA
JP3DGT Katsushige Oiji

Certificates Issued

Activator
M0JLA Rodney Archard 2500 points
CT2IUV Nuno Freitas 1000 points
OM6TC Jozef Stefik 1000 points
VE2DDZ Malcolm Harper 500 points
WC9G Ron Burns 250 points
KY7S Douglas Henderson 250 points
AA0BV Joe Olson 100 points

Chaser
OK2QA Rudolf Klvana 25000 points
M3FEH Karl Kruger 20000 points
G8VNW Nick Daniel 10000 points
SV1QED Michael Panagiotopoulos 2500 points
K5QR Andrew Bonnot 2500 points
G0FVH David Dolling 2500 points
LA3NGA Henning Theodorsen 1500 points
MI0WWB William R Bradley 1000 points
VE2DDZ Malcolm Harper 1000 points
PE1PIC KeesJan Colmer 1000 points
JP3DGT Katsushige Oiji 1000 points
JS6TMW Steve Fabricant 1000 points
VK3WAR Craig Arnot Ward 1000 points
LZ2OQ Georgi Aleksov 500 points
YO8SSB Lucian Damian 500 points
K1LIZ Elizabeth Burns 500 points
K1LIZ Elizabeth Burns 250 points
N3FJ Rob Olszewski 250 points
M0PLA Paul Athersmith 100 points

Chaser Unique
M3FEH Karl Kruger 3000 summits
VK3PF Peter Freeman 1000 summits
VE2DDZ Malcolm Harper 100 summits
SV1QED Michael Panagiotopoulos 100 summits

Summit to Summit
M0JLA Rodney Archard Gold
VE2DDZ Malcolm Harper Silver
LA3NGA Henning Theodorsen Red

Mountain Hunter
VK3PF Peter Freeman Platinum
VE2DDZ Malcolm Harper Gold
K1LIZ Elizabeth Burns Bronze

Mountain Explorer
AK5SD Scott T. Dupuie Silver

Microwave Award
VK1AD Andrew Moseley 300 km 23 cm

Merchandise stock levels are, for the moment, reasonably buoyant (except for Mountain Goat embroidered badges) and, because I have been able to negotiate on prices with our suppliers, selling prices can be maintained. However, the fee paid to our trophy engraver has not changed since the glass trophy was introduced but I will now be forced to slightly increase engraving prices to ensure that she continues doing the work. This will be reflected in the initial price of a trophy and also in the price of “add-on” lettering effective from the 1 August.

I would like to clear the remaining stock of Polo Shirts before introducing new, and different, stock later this year (there is only so much limited space in our spare bedroom wardrobe and the xyl wants to use some of the space – unreasonable I know but I have to live with her). Anybody ordering a Polo Shirt will be able to chose from a small list of other SOTA merchandise to be included free of charge with their order; just as an incentive to clear this stock. Once they are gone I will not be replacing them.

Before introducing new stock I plan to have a poll on the reflector to see what interest there is in various branded items. Suggestions from members of the SOTA community would also be most welcome.

Finally, just a reminder about the dates on certificates (and also the class of award you are claiming): I will take the award date to be the date you put on the order form and will no longer check whether it is correct or not. The only checking I will do is to see that you are qualified to make the claim; information to get the date correct is on your database record, please check before ordering. Adopting this procedure means that I have reduced my checking time by over 60%, which means I have more time to be on the air.

Stay safe on the hills and if you hear a weak GM, with very shaky CW call you – be kind to me

Barry GM4TOE
SOTA Awards Manager

NORTH AMERICAN REPORT from Skip K6DGW

Greetings all. Paul, W0RW, reports big news from Colorado this month. You can buy your very own 83,368 acre [33,738 ha] ranch for the paltry sum 105million USD. Why in the NA SOTA Report? Well, included in the deal, at no extra cost, is Culebra Peak, known in some circles as W0C/SL-002. It’s a “14’er” at 14,044 ft [4,282 m], and has never been activated. Might want to rush in and make an offer, there may be a queue already. Full details with photo at:

Cielo Vista Ranch • Mirr Ranch Group https://www.mirrranchgroup.com/ranches/cielo-vista-ranch/

STATISTICS:

NA Statistics for Jul 2017
Produced: 07/28/2017 at: 15:24:45 PDT

Total Activations: 739 [678]
Total Activators: 218 [207]
Total Chaser QSO’s: 7027 [6502]
Total Chasers: 309 [268]
Unique Summits: 545 [480]

BAND # LAST MONTH
3.5MHz: 31 ( 0.4%) [ 18 ( 0.2%)]
5MHz: 49 ( 0.6%) [ 120 ( 1.8%)]
7MHz: 1288 ( 18.3%) [ 1159 ( 18.0%)]
10MHz: 659 ( 9.4%) [ 841 ( 13.1%)]
14MHz: 4403 ( 62.8%) [ 3751 ( 58.4%)]
18MHz: 166 ( 2.3%) [ 237 ( 3.6%)]
21MHz: 13 ( 0.1%) [ 28 ( 0.4%)]
28MHz: 22 ( 0.3%) [ 29 ( 0.4%)]
50MHz: 14 ( 0.1%) [ 9 ( 0.1%)]
144MHz: 349 ( 4.9%) [ 209 ( 3.2%)]
220MHz: 1 ( 0.0%) [ 2 ( 0.0%)]
433MHz: 10 ( 0.1%) [ 12 ( 0.1%)]
1240MHz: 2 ( 0.0%) [ 1 ( 0.0%)]

MODE # LAST MONTH:
AM: 4 ( 0.0%) [ 2 ( 0.0%)]
CW: 4503 ( 64.2%) [ 4563 ( 71.0%)]
Data: 4 ( 0.0%) [ 10 ( 0.1%)]
FM: 359 ( 5.1%) [ 217 ( 3.3%)]
SSB: 2143 ( 30.5%) [ 1628 ( 25.3%)]

July was the highest activity month in 2017. It’s been interesting that the 40 m/20 m and the SSB/CW ratios have remained fairly constant over the last several years. 30 meter usage has been slowly creeping upward andaccounts for some of the CW total but the “money bands” continue to be 40 and 20.

AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS: Lotsthis month

The Mountain Goats continue to multiply. Darryl, WW7D and W7W Assoc. Mgrreports:“Please join me in congratulating Tim, KG7EJT, the first mountain goat earned in the W7W association. Tim earned his first activator point in Jan of 2015 and earned his 1000th point on Sunday while activating Tiffany Mountain (W7W/OK-029).”

The photo shows a moderately exuberant Tim , taken by his wife, just after his 4th QSO on Sunday. Congratulations Tim!

Tim KG7EJT

W7A welcomed three new Mountain Goats as well. Pete, WA7JTM, reports that Bud, N6CW; Kay, KE7BGM; and Paul, K9PM, made it 3 AZ Goats in 17 days in June. Kay is the 2nd female Mtn Goat, and Paul set a new recordNA achieving 1,000 activator points in only 100 summits. A SOTA Party was had for them on 11 Jul in Scottsdale AZ. Hearty congratulations to the three of you!

8 AZ Goats

Pete also made news himself, as reported inJuly QST, by capturing 4th place in the 2017 ARRL VHF Contest in the QRP Portable class:

“The Single Operator, Portable category in January is only for the hardiest ofsouls. VE3EG narrowly edged out lastyear’s winner, WB2AMU. WA7JTM putScarlet Mountain in DM33 on the air andtook advantage of the Summits on theAir (SOTA) program (and the abundanceof enthusiastic SOTA chasers in Arizona), to finish 4th place nationwidein the category. Maybe more SOTA activators will take the hint and activatesummits next January.”

And, unabashedly “Tooting His Own Horn,” as he put it, Jack, KB7HH, has managed 15,000 chaser points.

Ryan, K70DX, started off the month with a “Utah Six Pack” … 6 summits in one UTC day. Ryan isn’t the first but he’s in somevery rare company. I know of Tommy, WZ4M[then W4TZM], and Curtis, KC5CW, who have also managed this featwhich is an average of 3 hours per summit. Nice going Ryan!

Andfinally, while it’s not an “officialaward,” I can’t end this section without mentioning good friend Todd, KH2TJ, whoappears on the cover of the ARRL Annual Report, reclining … where else? … on a summit. Todd drives Union Pacific locomotives to provide the family income,and has a strong connection to KH2, but ARRL chose a SOTA guy for the cover. Nice going Todd!

ANNIVERSARIES: My buddy Mike, KD5KC, emailed, “Happy Birthday W5-SOTA. Seven years old today. My, how you have grown.” Indeed! SOTA started out slowly in the New World, and Mike was a prime mover to expand it. Initially, we had Associations based on call-areas, a few summits [California had something like 280]. Mike compiled the first W5 catalog of summits and he and several others began to realize that there were tens of thousands of potential summits in the western part of the continent and call-areas weren’t going to work very long. Thanks to a LOT of work by a number of dedicated folks on both sides of the Atlantic, the North American summit catalog was expanded many-fold and re-organized on more of a State/Province basis, especially in the west. Anyone who has wrangled databases can appreciate the magnitude of this effort.

Thank you Mike and all of you who put so much time and effort into getting the summit catalogs correct,beating the database into submission, and the Association and Region Managers who stepped up to make this all happen.

NEWS:

From Etienne, K7ATN:

Summer! Time to get out and activate some summits! Consider August 5 and 6 for the PNW SOTA Summit-to-Summit Party.

Here’s the latest Pacific Northwest SOTA Newsletter for July and August 2017:
http://www.pnwsota.org/sites/pnwsota.org/files/downloads/K7ATN/PNW%20SOTA%20Oregon%20Newsletter%20Jul-Aug%202017.pdf

There are links to the two SOTA presentations made at SeaPac this year and a story by Peter-K3OG on his activation of Mount Rainier.

EVENTS:

There will be a SOTA gathering at the Pacific NW DX Convention in Spokane WA the first weekend in Aug. Andrea and I are going, turning it into a “Road Trip” to country I’ve only seen from the air and she’s never seen.

From Ryan, WG4I: Pat(KI4SVM) and myself (WG4A) have a planned Georgia/ Carolinas camping trip for October 20 – 22 at Sarah’s Creek in NE Georgia, see Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest - Sarah3As Creek Campground. The campground is primitive with pit toilets but at least onSOTA Awards Manager.

July hr cooking, charging batteries etc. I will be bringing my pop-up trailer if anyone wants to come but needs a place to sleep.

There are many SOTA summits within minutes of the campground. It will be an excellent opportunity to activate multiple summits in a day, contact others doing adjacent summits in the area and get your SOTA complete. It is under a 2 hour drive from Atlanta, Ashville, Charlotte, Knoxville, and many other areas.

Let me know if you are interested. Several of us will be getting there on the 19^th to get the good spots and reserve adjacent ones for those on their way. We should be able to put several tents on one site to split site cost.

That fills the newsletter for this month. If you’re planning on visiting anywhere along the 21 Aug eclipse, and you have reservations, you are commended on your foresight. If you don’t … good luck [:slight_smile:

73 and activate safely,

Fred (“Skip”) K6DGW

Sparks NV USA
Washoe County DM09dn
NA SOTA Reporter Dude

============================================================

SOTA France – Robert F5HTR

Hi to all,

Some news about French SOTA. July is usually a very good month to activate our summits.
Last year, July saw 117 summits activated by 28 different Hams.
This year, July represents a new all time record with 140 summits activated by 23 different Hams!
This is the first time SOTA FRANCE has reached such an amount of activity a month.
On 23rd of July, there were at least 14 activations in a day ! Another record.

Some statistics for the F region :
F/AB : 290 summits done - Total of summit 567 = 51% sumits done in this region
F/AM : 420 done, Total 752 = 55%
F/CR : 91 done, Total 301 = 30%
F/JU : 86 done, Total 86 = 100%
F/MC : 118 done Total 200 = 59%
F/PE : 117 done, Total 315 = 37%
F/PO : 157 done, Total 252 = 62%
F association : 56% done

Statistics for FL association :
FL/NO : 64 done, Total 85 = 75%
FL/SO : 5 done, Total 5 = 400%
FL/VL : 70 done, Total 90 = 77%
FL/VO : 115 done, Total 153 = 75%
FL association : 81% done

This month, ranking of best progression :
F4EGG : 12 summits - 120 pts
F5UBH : 9 summits - 88 pts
F6HBI : 10 summits - 84 pts
F5UKL: 14 summits - 56 pts
F5HTR : 6 summits - 36 pts
F5LKW: 10 summits - 30 pts
F4ESK : 3 sommets - 30 pts
F/JG1XMV/P : 3 sommets - 30 pts
F6FTB : 9 summits - 16 pts
F6HHK : 1 summit - 10 pts
et aussi F6ENO, F6IPR, F4FHV, F5IUZ et F8BBL

TM10SOTA is over, we have done about 1015 QSO confirmed with LoTw and EQSL.cc
Activity with TM10SOTA could be more intensive of course. Many Hams were on the official list of operators and do not profit from it.
Administration allows us only 15 days of traffic with special call.

We create two new association this month with the French Islands of Martinique (FM) : 14 summits and Saint Pierre et Miquelon (FP) with 4 summits.

All the team of SOTA FRANCE wish you a nice activation in our nice country. We stay at your disposal to give you more detail if you need.
Do not hesitate to contact regional chief about a summit.

My best regards to all,
Have a nice holiday!

F5HTR
Bob
F & FL association Manager

SOTA NEWS FROM JAPAN by Toru JH0CJH

Hi Mark and all

Please find the following SOTA News from Japan.

The rainy season was over and the hot and wet Japanese summer started.
Accordingly activation numbers have reduced this month.

SOTA activities in July 2017 in Japan as of 29 July 2017.

Activation

Total 149 Activations with 1497 QSO have been made and reported.

JA: 148 activations with 1493 QSO from Summits
JA5: 0
JA6: 1 activation with 4 QSO from Summits
JA8: 0

Chasing

Total 292 Chasing QSO have been made and reported.

JA: 270 chasing QSO
JA5: 2 chasing QSO
JA6: 20 chasing QSO

S2S

Total 150 S2S QSO have been made and reported.

JA: 147 S2S QSO
JA5: 0
JA6: 3 S2S QSO

As we reported last monthly report, Kansai Ham Festival “KANHAM 2017” has
been held in Osaka Ikeda city on 15 and 16 July.

SOTA Japan association had a stand in exhibition area to promote the SOTA
activities to all Kansai area ham radio stations. These two days we got
many visitors to SOTA stand.

SOTA Japan association operating Mailing List for exchanging the various
information and more than ten new members are welcomed after this
festival.

We also had a SOTA gathering party #7 on 15 July after 1st day of KANHAM
SOTA operation.

On 11 August it is Mountain day in Japan, and it is newly started national
holiday in Japan from last year. Many SOTA operations will be carried out
on the day. Please listen and meet with us on air.

Toru Kawauchi
toru@kawauchi.homeip.mydns.jp
JH0CJH / JA1CTV業務日誌 Just call me!

THE VIEW FROM THE NORTH - 115 By Rob and Audrey G4RQJ

July so off we go on our yearly visit to the Isle of Man. Our first day is usually taken fairly easily as we go over on the night boat from Heysham so have slept in seats in the lounge, this is my (Robs) test for old age, when I can’t manage it ,its time to worry! Overnight gives you two extra days on the island and is cheaper on the fare. This year our extra day is relentlessly wet but there’s plenty to amuse us.

Wednesday the 5th is the Manx National Day and we usually attend the festivities in the morning and activate LD-004 Bradda Hill in the afternoon but this year Audrey’s knee is not up to the descent of the almost vertical grass slope which is a major part of this hill so it’s off to LD-005,Mull Hill, a much easier proposition. We set up by the large pillbox at the very summit and as we do so a very well spoken young man asks us politely if we can tell him what these buildings were. He has been sent by his teacher to study the summit area and write a short thesis on the subject. He has done the ancient stone circle and thought he would ask about the pillbox on his way down. As one of our interests is military remains of WW2 we are able to give him quite a lot of info on the former radar station that occupied the site. He leaves, delighted, with some web sites to look at. We wonder if his teacher was looking for this or it was supposed to be Ancient history. One day it will be! Hope he gets good marks. Back to the activation and just six leisurely contacts on 2fm but HF is dead a nit

Thursday 6th Slieau Freoaghane Arrived at the usual parking spot(room for about six cars) to find it completely filled by two 4x4s parked back to back both with ramps down, no room! About 1/4 mile further west toward Barregarrow on the B10 we found a spot on the other side of the road that just took a car. The walk up is unchanged and once the green road is left a pleasant walk through the heather after which the hill is named. 8 contacts on 2FM nil on 2ssb 5Mhz and 7Mhz but 10 Mhz provided a long CW run and here I met a problem. My normal practice is to get the callers callsign written on the paper first because I don’t remember them easily. To my horror due to my current eye problem when I looked down at the pad I could not read a single letter I had written and Audrey can’t read my scribble at the best of times. This caused me a lot of problems and repeats, even more than usual so apologies to all operators and thanks for your patience.

Saturday 8th South Barrule and here we were aware that Andy G6PJZ had already alerted for this one today. As he was clearly on a much tighter schedule than us we decided to just do a VHF only activation so as not to impinge on his possible chasers.(most of his activities having been HF). In the event we worked just nine on vhf, very leisurely contacts and alerted chasers to Andy’s impending arrival in the hope they would stay around and work him. In the event we met Andy just as we started our descent and had a very pleasant chat before setting off slowly on a test of Audrey’s knee on a more awkward slope. There had been a fell race earlier and we saw that they diverted from the main route down on a minor path leading directly to a gate at the Round Table crossroads which is a couple of hundred yards west of the start of the green road, the normal parking and start point. Actually the green road entrance has become very rutted and not too good for normal cars to park. Try up the road to the round table where there is space for a couple of cars. The route from round table is nice enough but
not obvious, would not recommend it in cloud. Back at the car gave Andy a shout on the h/held to be number four in his log. HF was in dead as a nit mode so many thanks to the chasers who stayed around on VHF.

Tuesday 11th Mull Hill. An outing to try 4 and 6m on the ex Mil groundplane
Setup was fine but prolonged calls produced no response. To add insult to injury a shout on 2m yielded just two contacts, our first failure to complete in our SOTA history. TV must be getting good!

Thursday 13th Snaefell GD-001. In view of the knee situation particularly the descent we opted for a trip up on the tram from the Bungalow Station. The last trip on the tram was well before SOTA, when we walked up from sea level and got the tram down! Once on top the weather was reasonable but a strong breeze was blowing. It’s worth pointing out that the cafe is well in the activation area so people with limited mobility could probably operate in it’s shelter if prevented from going any further by disability. Anxious to feel as though we had made some effort we walked to our usual spot at the far end of the air traffic control building over looking Ramsey. Nice shelter and out of other peoples way. A long activation, lots on 2fm, a couple on 5Mhz, and lots on 7Mhz and 14Mhz CW. The weather had turned a little unpleasant as we walked back to the tram stop. This summit has very variable weather and at least a sweater is always needed.

Sunday 16th South Barrule again. We tried the route from The Round Table again. The path is not well defined and takes care to avoid trips and wet feet. On top a VHF only activation. Embarrassingly at the end we were asked for a quick trip onto a 70cm activity and I found I could not read the FT 817 display in the sunshine but bodged it eventually.

The last day of our holiday we had a quick trip up Mull Hill on the way to the boat. We set up by the big pillbox but were only able to work three Irish stations on 2FM.Determined not to be out done we up sticks and carried the whole shop antenna and mast as a single item 20yards across to the other pillbox where we managed to raise some activity from the English side.

We were sorry not to be able to activate all five summits this year and surprisingly no one managed to work us on all four we did achieve but we hope for better things in 2018 as we are already booked.

Not sure when we will get back to full operation because of knees and eyes but we will be back!

Meanwhile,

Take care out there

Rob and Audrey
G4RQJ

*********** SOTA NEWS PART 2 FOLLOWS BELOW ********

4 Likes

SOTA NEWS AUGUST 2017 - Part 2

=========================================================

ON7DQ SOTA Tour : in 9 days to Friedrichshafen and beyond …

Last year was my FIRST EVER visit to the Ham Radio in Friedrichshafen (FH).
I liked it so much, with all the SOTA activities and such, I wanted to be part of it again this year.
Only problem : the friends who drove me there last year didn’t go this time (because of the shift to mid July), and I’m not such a good driver that I could drive all the 770 km to FH in one day. There had to be a better solution.

So I planned to split the drive in three days each way, and do a bunch of SOTA activations. This also meant I had my own car over there to do … even more SOTA activations ! hi
I activated 22 summits in total, in 6 countries, gaining 157 points. This brought me way over the 500 point mark (actually to 604 now), so that makes me “half goat” now … hi.

The start of my trip was no so good though. I went to LX/LX-004 without problems, then on my second summit LX/LX-002 it started already to rain, and it got so bad during the day that I had to cancel the third summit. The next day saw nothing but rain and stormy wind. Still I managed to do the first summit in the rain (FL/VO-089), using my “SOTA Umbrella” :

Step 1 : prepare the whole thing on the ground.

Step 2 : put it upright, and hold it in place with the link dipole

Step 3 : operate happily in the rain … (notice the bungee cord to keep the KX3 safely on the “table”)

This went well on this summit, as there was almost no wind. I did only 40m CW and made 10 QSO’s, after which it was time to go to the next summit, FL/VO-002 (Le Hohneck). But that was something different … strong wind and fog, but it was dry … enjoy the wonderful view.

No way to put up my fishing pole there, but since I drove the whole end up in the fog, I wanted to activate anyway. So I tied my endfed wire to a fence post, about 50cm above ground. The other end was tied to my folding chair (I had to lay the chair on the ground and put my backpack on it while fixing my antenna, or it would have blown off the summit, also no time to take pictures).
The KX3 did tune up, so I could use this crappy antenna.
I checked the spots and saw a chance for S2S with F6FTB/P, so I worked him first. With such a low antenna … it must have been “ground wave” communication, hi.
Then as I wanted to start calling CQ myself, rain started pouring, and together with the gale force wind, it was impossible to stay on that summit. I was dripping wet by the time I got to my car. So activation OK ? YES … 10 points ? NO … too bad …
Not much improvement after that either. I skipped the third summit on my list because it included too much walking, and went directly to the regions highest summit : FL/VO-001, Le Grand Ballon de Guebwiller. It was raining when I arrived, so I waited in the car (lucky that I had a full thermos of coffee …) … and waited … and after 1 hour and 15 minutes it finally stopped raining.
Typical view … everything in the fog. Not visible in the picture : the strong wind

I grabbed my stuff and did the 10 minute walk to the summit … only to be disappointed, wind too strong, impossible to activate there. So that was that for my second day … 10 points instead of the 40 I had hoped for … I’ll keep those summits on my list for next year … and hope for better weather !
The next day the weather cleared up, and I had 7 sunny days after that, and nothing but lovely activations, with lots of S2S contacts (55 S2S QSO’s on this trip).
I wont make this report too long, so for the rest of it, the activations in DL, OE, HB0, F and ON … the Ham Radio fair, the SOTA meetings and dinner, and how I won the SotaBeam WSPRLite prize … I’ll refer you to my blog https://on7dq.blogspot.be/ .
A more detailed report will appear there a s soon as I find the time to write it all out …

73 and cu on the summits !

Luc, ON7DQ

=====================================================

SOTA NEW ZEALAND REPORT from Warren ZL2AJ

Note from Editor:-
Warren complies a bi-monthly report for the New Zealand national magazine after the end of the month, to allow him to collect all the statistics. This is forwarded along to me during the first few days of a new month but misses our publication deadline on the last day of the month.

The next issue will be included in the September edition – Mark

======================================================

SOTA ON TOP BAND - Mark G0VOF

Hello everyone & welcome to this month’s edition of SOTA on Top Band.

Only one activator ventured onto the band this month, & that activation was be no means certain of going ahead.

The weekend of 1st/2nd July was RSGB VHF National field day & those of who you that have been reading this column for some time will now that traditionally John G4YSS uses this weekend as an opportunity for an overnight camp on a Northern Pennine summit. G/NP-008 Great Whernside has been a popular choice over the years & this year was no different, although a last minute reduction to a single day of operation was called for.

Despite not being active on the Saturday John arrived early on Sunday & was QRV on 160m by 0726z. Only 8 minutes later he had 4 stations in his log on CW when he moved slightly up the band & worked another 3 stations on SSB, including a second QSO with G4OBK who is now active on 160m again from his new QTH.

Following Top Band was a good run on 80m then it was on to VHF, with a return to HF on 20m CW later in the afternoon. John made a total of 125 QSO’s over the course of the day, not bad at all!

An excellent report with photos can be found here:
G4YSS: G/NP-008 VHF-NFD on 02-07-17

Thanks & well done John.

At the time of writing, that was the only Top band activations during July that I am aware of, if I have missed any others please let me know.

On 2 July, John GX0OOO/P (G4YSS) Activated G/NP-008 Great Whernside & made 7 QSO’s (4 CW / 3 SSB)

As always, If you do have any suggestions on things that you think should be included, or if you wish to contribute tips, ideas or anything else that you think may help others on the band please email them to me at mark@brownhill.demon.co.uk

Until next month,

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

CW REPORT FOR JULY 2017 - Roy G4SSH

Conditions on the HF bands showed a noticeable improvement during July with the higher bands being workable on many days. Activity peaked around the middle of the month with members attending the annual Friedrichshafen Radio Rally taking the opportunity to activate summits on their way to the show and on their route home.

Now that school holidays are here there was a rush of cross border expeditions.

Highlights of the month included:-

Zoltan HA5CQZ as OM/HA5CQZ/P in Slovakia
Roman, OK/OM4WY/p in Czechia
Jarek OK/SP9MA/p in Czechia
Igor OK/OM3CUG/p in Czechia
Maria HA/OH0FM/p in Hungary
Gavin I5/GM0GAV/p in Italy
Fred HB9/DL8DXL/p in Switzerland
Paul, OE/DL6FBK/p in Austria
Stephan OE/DM1LE/p in Austria
Paul HBO/HB9DST/p in Liechtenstein
Frank DL/ON6UU/p in Germany
Jan, OE/OK2PDT/p, in Austria

Harry DF7FX/p and Sigrid DL2FAZ/p continued activating various high-scoring summits in Germany during the month.

Alain was active as TM10SOTA, in France on the 9th.

HB9/OK2PDT/p in Switzerland
Joerg I3/DL3LUM/p, in Italy
Hans, LX/PB2T/p in Luxemburg
Jarek OK/SP0MA/p in Czechia
Jurg OE/HB9BIN/p, in Austria
Paul, OE/DL6FBK/p also in Austria
Andy HB9JOE/p was in Germany

On the 11th Luc, LX/ON7DQ/p commenced a marathon expedition to activate 26 summits in 6 countries in 9 days on his way to Friedrichshafen.

Rien, I/PA0RBA/p in Italy
Eva, DL/HB9FPM/P, in Germany
Fred, OE/DL8DXL in Austria
Andy F/HB9JOE was active in France.
Feri, YO/HA8LLH/p, Attila YO/HA8PI/p, Karcsi YO/HA8BJ/P & Zsolt, YO/HA8PX/p, in Romania.
Frank, HB0/DJ2FR/p & Martin DF3MC/p in Liechtenstein,
Zoran E70AA in Bosnia
Coem, DL/PA5KM/P in Germany.
Hans, DL/PB2T/p in Germany.
Jozef OK/OM6TC/p in Czechia
Igor, SP/OM3CUG/P in Poland
Al, HB9/DJ5AA/p in Switzerland
Petr DL/OK1CZ/p in Germany
Tom, OE/DL1ASA/p in Austria
Cesar EA7/K1TNT in Spain
DL/PK1CZ/p, in Germany
Bernd, EA2/DL2DXA/p in Spain
Peter DL/OK1CZ/p was active from Germany
Dan, I/HB9IIO/P from Italy
Geert, DL/PA7ZEE/P in Germany

There was also brief SOTA CW activity on 3.5 MHz and 50 MHz observed during the month

TM10SOTA was heard on the 23rd

Roy G4SSH
g4ssh@tiscali.co.uk

(Submitted on the 24th due to being unavailable until the 31st)

SOTA ACTIVITY REPORT FOR JULY 2017 by Kevin G0NUP

Mode: CW on 1.8MHz: activity for July

GX0OOO/P

Mode: CW on 3.5MHz: activity for July

G4OOE/P, GX0OOO/P, HB9CZF/P, JF1NDT/1, K2BSA, K2JB,
K7VK, KR7RK, N9XG, OK1MLP/P, OK2PXJ/P, WA2USA/P,
WH6LE

Mode: CW on 5MHz: activity for July

DJ2MX/P, DJ9MH/P, DL6AP/P, DL6FBK/P, GM0EVV/P, HB9AFI/P,
HB9AGO/P, HB9BIN/P, HB9CGA/P, HB9CZF/P, HB9DGV/P, HB9FVF/P,
HB9JOE/P, K2JB, K6HPX/P, KR7RK, N1FJ, N7LP,
NA6MG, NS7P, W0CP, WA2USA/P, WH6LE
Mode: SSB on 5MHz: activity for July

G4IPB/P, G8XYJ/P, GD6PJZ/P, GI0AZA/P, GM0EVV/P, GM0VWP/P,
GW4TQE/P, HB9GKR/P, KI4SVM, M0JLA/P, M0TYM/P, MM0FMF/P,
SP9PND/P, SQ9RZA/P

Mode: CW on 7MHz: activity for July

9A3ST, 9A6CW/P, AA0BV, AA6XA, AC0PR, AC1Z,
AD4IE, AD5A, AI4SV, CT1DBS/P, DF7FX/P, DH7KU/P,
DJ2MX/P, DJ5VY/P, DJ9MH/P, DK2JK/P, DK5RK/P, DL/HA7SBQ/P,
DL/HB9AFI/P, DL/HB9BIN/P, DL/HB9BQB/P, DL/HB9FPM/P, DL/HB9JOE/P, DL/OE5EEP,
DL/OK1CZ/P, DL/ON7DQ/P, DL/PA5KM/P, DL/PA7ZEE/P, DL/PB2T/P, DL2FAZ/P,
DL4CF/P, DL4FDM/P, DL4FO/P, DL6AP/P, DL6FBK/P, DL8DXL/P,
EA1AER/P, EA2BD/P, EA2BSB/P, EA2IF/P, EA2LU/P, EA5FV/P,
EA5GI, EA6AIF, F/HB9FPM/P, F/HB9JOE/P, F/ON6ZQ/P, F/ON7DQ/P,
F/PB2T/P, F5HTR/P, F5IUZ/P, F5LKW/P, F5UBH/P, F5UKL/P,
F6FTB/P, F6HBI/P, G0HIO/P, G4OOE/P, G4ZAO/P, G7KSE/P,
GM0EVV/P, GM4OBK/P, GW0MFR/P, GW0POT/P, HA/OH0FM/P, HA/OK2PDT/P,
HA5AZC/P, HB0/DF3MC/P, HB0/DJ2FR, HB0/HB9DST/P, HB0/ON7DQ/P, HB0/PA7ZEE/P,
HB9/DL1AIW/P, HB9/DL8DXL/P, HB9/PA7MDJ/P, HB9/PA7ZEE/P, HB9AFH/P, HB9AFI/P,
HB9AGO/P, HB9AXL/P, HB9BAB/P, HB9BCB/P, HB9BHU, HB9BHW/P,
HB9BIN/P, HB9BQU/P, HB9BXE, HB9CBR/P, HB9CEX/P, HB9CGA/P,
HB9CKV/P, HB9CZF/P, HB9DAX/P, HB9DCO, HB9DGV/P, HB9DQM/P,
HB9DST/P, HB9EWO/P, HB9FAB/P, HB9FVF/P, HB9IAB/P, HB9IIO/P,
HB9JOE/P, HB9TVK/P, HB9TWM/P, I/DL1AIW/P, I/HB9IIO/P, I/PA0RBA/P,
IN3EBZ/P, IX1IHR/P, JA1KHZ/1, JA3NAP/3, JA4RQO/4, JF1NDT/1,
JF1NDT/2, JF8LPB/2, JG1BOK, JG4LCS/4, JI1IHV/1, JL1NIE/1,
JP1QEC/1, JP3DGT/3, JS1UEH/1, K0MP, K1ZK, K2BSA,
K2JB, K3JZD, K4QS, K7ODX, K7VK, KE5AKL,
KE7BGM, KG7VAK, KH2TJ, KH7AL, KI4TN, KI7JS,
KR7RK, KX0R, KX6A, LA1EBA/P, LA1ENA/P, LA1KHA/P,
LA3BO/P, LA3NGA/P, LA4CIA/P, LA8BCA/P, LA9PJA/P, LX/ON7DQ/P,
LX/PB2T/P, LZ1GJ/P, MM0CMV/P, MM0FMF/P, N0MTN, N0TA,
N1FJ, N1GVT, N1ZF, N3II/P, N6JZT, N7KRN,
N7LP, N9XG, NA6MG, NJ7V, NK1N, NM5S,
NS0TA, NS7P, NU7A, NU7Y, OE/DJ9MH/P, OE/DK3IT/P,
OE/DL4KCA/P, OE/DL4MHA/P, OE/DL6FBK/P, OE/DL6MST/P, OE/DL8DXL/P, OE/HA4FY/P,
OE/HB9BIN/P, OE/OK2PDT/P, OE3HPU/P, OE5AUL/P, OE5EEP/P, OE5EIN/P,
OE6FEG/P, OE6KYG/P, OE6LKG/P, OE6PKF/P, OK/OM3CUG/P, OK/OM6AN/P,
OK/OM6TC/P, OK/SP9MA/P, OK1AYU/P, OK1BJH/P, OK1CYC/P, OK1CZ/P,
OK1DJQ/P, OK1FRT/P, OK1HCD/P, OK1MLP/P, OK1NF/P, OK2BDF/P,
OK2BMA/P, OK2BTK/P, OK2HIJ/P, OK2MUF/P, OK2PDT/P, OK2PXJ/P,
OK2PYA/P, OK2TX/P, OK2VWB/P, OM1WS/P, OM3CUG/P, OM4DW/P,
OM4XA/P, ON4KCY/P, ON7DQ/P, OZ/PA7ZEE/P, PA1ALV, S52AU/P,
S52CU/P, S53XX/P, S58R/P, SP/OM3CUG/P, SP6GNK/P, SP9MA/P,
SV2OXS/P, TM10SOTA, VK1CT, VK1DA, VK2MWP, VK2NU/P,
VK3ARH, VK5CZ, W0CP, W1EJ, W4/SQ6GIT, W4PH,
W5/SQ6GIT, W5ODS, W7JET, W7USA, WA2USA/P, WA6MM,
WA7JTM, WA9STI, WB0USI, WB5USB, WC6J, WG0AT,
WH6LE, WS0TA, WU7H, WW7D, WX4TW, WZ4M,
YO/HA8BJ/P, YO/HA8LLH, YO/HA8QW, YO2BP/P

Mode: CW on 10MHz: activity for July

9A/OK2SAM/P, AA0BV, AA6XA, AD5A, AF7OS, AI4SV,
DJ9MH/P, DK2CX/P, DK2JK/P, DL/HB9BQB/P, DL/HB9JOE/P, DL/OE5EEP,
DL/OK1CZ/P, DL/ON6UU/P, DL4CF/P, DL4FDM/P, DL4FO/P, DL6AP/P,
DL6FBK/P, DL8DZL/P, EA2BD/P, EA2IF/P, EA2LU/P, F/HB9FPM/P,
F/HB9JOE/P, F/ON6ZQ/P, F/ON7DQ/P, F/PB2T/P, F5HTR/P, F5IUZ/P,
F5LKW/P, F5UBH/P, F5UKL/P, F6FTB/P, F6HBI/P, F8BBL/P,
G0HIO/P, G4OOE/P, G4TJC/P, G4ZAO/P, GM0EVV/P, GM4OBK/P,
GW0MFR/P, HA5AZC/P, HA7HF/P, HB0/DF3MC/P, HB0/DJ2FR, HB0/HB9DST/P,
HB9/PA7ZEE/P, HB9AFI/P, HB9AGO/P, HB9AXL/P, HB9BAB/P, HB9BCB/P,
HB9BIN/P, HB9BQU/P, HB9CBR/P, HB9CZF/P, HB9DGV/P, HB9DQM/P,
HB9DST/P, HB9EWO/P, HB9FVF/P, HB9IIO/P, HB9JOE/P, HB9TVK/P,
I3/DL3LUM/P, I5/GM0GAV, JA3NAP/3, JG1BOK, JP3DGT/3, K1JD,
K2BSA, K3JZD, K4QS, K6HPX/P, K7NEW, K7ODX,
K7PX, K7VK, KE5AKL, KG7VAK, KH2TJ, KR7RK,
KT0A, KW4JM, KX0R, LA1EBA/P, LA1ENA/P, LA1KHA/P,
LA3BO/P, LA3NGA/P, LA9PJA/P, LX/PB2T/P, LZ1GJ/P, M0BLF/P,
MM3BRR/P, MW0VFC/P, N0TA, N1FJ, N1GVT, N1ZF,
N2GDS, N3II/P, N6JZT, N7LP, N7RR, NA6MG,
NF1R, NJ7V, NM5S, NS1TA, NS7P, NU7A,
NU7Y, OE/DJ2FR, OE/DL4MHA/P, OE/DL6FBK/P, OE/DL8DXL/P, OE/DM1LE/P,
OE/HB9BIN/P, OE3HPU/P, OE5AUL/P, OE5EEP/P, OF3HNY, OH9XX/P,
OK/OM4WY/P, OK/OM6AN/P, OK/OM6TC/P, OK1CYC/P, OK1DJQ/P, OK1MLP/P,
OK2BDF/P, OK2BTK/P, OK2PXJ/P, OK2PYA/P, OK2SAM/P, OK2VWB/P,
OM1WS/P, OM3CUG/P, OM4WY/P, ON4KCY/P, OZ/PA7ZEE/P, S53XX/P,
S58R/P, SO9TA/P, SP/OM3CUG/P, SP9MA/P, SV1COX/P, SV1RHL/P,
SV2OXS/P, TM10SOTA, VK1DA, W0CP, W1EJ, W5ODS,
WA7JTM, WA9STI, WB0USI, WC0Y, WH6LE, WU7H,
WW7D, WX4TW, WZ4M, YO/HA8LLH, YO/HA8PX, YO2BP/P

Mode: CW on 14MHz: activity for July

9A/OK2SAM/P, 9A3ST, 9A6CW/P, AA0BV, AA6XA, AC0PR,
AC1Z, AC7MA, AD4IE, AD5A, AE7AP, AI4SV,
AI6CU, CT1DBS/P, CT8/HB9DPR/P, DH7KU/P, DJ2MX/P, DJ5VY/P,
DK2CX/P, DK2JK/P, DK5RK/P, DL/HB9BQB/P, DL/HB9FPM/P, DL/HB9JOE/P,
DL/OK1CZ/P, DL/ON7DQ/P, DL/PA5KM/P, DL/PA7ZEE/P, DL/PB2T/P, DL4CF/P,
DL4FO/P, DL6AP/P, DL6FBK/P, DL8DXL/P, E70AA/P, EA1/HB9AFH/P,
EA1AER/P, EA2BD/P, EA2BSB/P, EA2IF/P, EA2LU/P, EA5FV/P,
EA6AIF, F/HB9JOE/P, F/ON7DQ/P, F/PB2T/P, F5HTR/P, F5IUZ/P,
F5LKW/P, F5UBH/P, F5UKL/P, F6FTB/P, F6HBI/P, F8BBL/P,
G0HIO/P, G3RDQ/P, G4OOE/P, G4TJC/P, G4ZAO/P, GM4OBK/P,
GX0OOO/P, HA5AZC/P, HB0/DF3MC/P, HB0/DJ2FR, HB0/HB9DST/P, HB0/ON7DQ/P,
HB9/DL1AIW/P, HB9/DL8DXL/P, HB9/PA7ZEE/P, HB9AFI/P, HB9AGO/P, HB9AXL/P,
HB9BCB/P, HB9BHU, HB9BIN/P, HB9BQU/P, HB9CBR/P, HB9CKV/P,
HB9CZF/P, HB9DAX/P, HB9DCO, HB9DGV/P, HB9DQM/P, HB9DST/P,
HB9EWO/P, HB9FVF/P, HB9IIO/P, HB9JOE/P, HB9TVK/P, I/DL1AIW/P,
I5/GM0GAV, IN3EBZ/P, JA4RQO/4, JF1NDT/1, JF8LPB/2, JG1GPY/1,
JH0CJH/3, JL1NIE/1, JP1QEC/1, JP3DGT/3, JS1UEH/1, JS6TMW/6,
JS6TQS, K0MP, K1JD, K1SWL, K1ZK, K2BSA,
K2JB, K3JZD, K4QS, K6CMG, K6TW, K7NEW,
K7ODX, K7PX, K7VK, K9OZ, KB3VVE, KC1APK,
KD7WPJ, KE5AKL, KF7PXT, KF7SEY, KG6CIH, KG7VAK,
KH2TJ, KI4TN, KR7RK, KT0A, KW4JM, KX0R,
KX6A, LA/OH2JXA/P, LA1EBA/P, LA1ENA/P, LA1KHA/P, LA3BO/P,
LA4CIA/P, LA8BCA/P, LA9PJA/P, LB8IG/P, LB9LG/P, LX/ON7DQ/P,
LZ1GJ/P, MM0FMF/P, N0PCL, N0TA, N0UR, N1AW,
N1FJ, N1GVT, N1ZF, N2GDS, N3II/P, N6JZT,
N7KRN, N7LKL, N7LP, N7RR, N9XG, NA6MG,
NF1R, NJ7V, NK1N, NM5S, NS0TA, NS1TA,
NS7P, NU7A, NU7Y, OE/DL4KCA/P, OE/DL6FBK/P, OE/DL8DXL/P,
OE/DM1LE/P, OE/HB9BIN/P, OE/OK2PDT/P, OE/OM1WS/P, OE1MVA/P, OE3HPU/P,
OE5EEP/P, OE5EIN/P, OE6FEG/P, OF3HNY, OH3KRH/P, OH9XX/P,
OK/OM3CUG/P, OK/OM6TC/P, OK1CZ/P, OK1DJQ/P, OK1MLP/P, OK2BMA/P,
OK2PDT/P, OK2PYA/P, OK2SAM/P, OM1WS/P, OM3CUG/P, OM4DW/P,
OM4WY/P, ON5REV/P, ON7DQ/P, S52CU/P, S53XX/P, S58R/P,
SO9TA/P, SP/OM3CUG/P, SP3LRS/P, SP9MA/P, SV1RHL/P, SV2OXS/P,
SV8/F5SFU/P, TF3DX/P, TM10SOTA, VA2VL, VA7CDB, VA7VJ,
VE7OM, VK1DA, VK5CZ, W0CP, W1EJ, W4/SQ6GIT,
W4PH, W5/SQ6GIT, W5ODS, W6BJB, W7GA, W7JET,
W7USA, WA2USA/P, WA6ARA, WA6KYR, WA6MM, WA7FPV,
WA7JTM, WA7NCL, WA9STI, WB0USI, WB5USB, WC0Y,
WC6J, WC9G, WG0AT, WH6LE, WS0TA, WU7H,
WW7D, WX4TW, WZ4M, YO/HA8BJ/P, YO/HA8LLH, YO/HA8PX,
YU1CA/P, YU1JF/P, YU1RK/P, ZL3CC

Mode: CW on 18MHz: activity for July

AA6XA, AC1Z, AD5A, EA2IF/P, F5UKL/P, F6HBI/P,
HB9AGO/P, HB9BCB/P, HB9BIN/P, HB9BQU/P, HB9CBR/P, JA4RQO/3,
JA4RQO/4, JF1NDT/1, JF8LPB/2, JG1GPY/1, JG4LCS/4, JI1IHV/1,
JL1NIE/1, JP1QEC/1, JP3DGT/3, JS1UEH/1, K1JD, K1ZK,
K2BSA, K4QS, K6HPX/P, K7NEW, K7PX, KR7RK,
KX0R, KX6A, LA3BO/P, LA9PJA/P, N0TA, N1ZF,
N7LP, N9XG, NA6MG, NS1TA, OE/DL6FBK/P, OE/HB9BIN/P,
OE3HPU/P, OH3KRH/P, OK/OM4WY/P, OK/OM6TC/P, OK1CZ/P, OK1MLP/P,
OK2PYA/P, OM3CUG/P, OM4DW/P, OM4WY/P, S52AU/P, S52CU/P,
SO9TA/P, SV2OXS/P, SV8/F5SFU/P, TM10SOTA, W0CP, WG0AT,
WH6LE, WW7D, YO/HA8LLH

Mode: CW on 21MHz: activity for July

AA0BV, AA6XA, DL4CF/P, F/ON7DQ/P, F5UKL/P, HB9CBR/P,
JF1NDT/1, JH0CJH/3, JP1QEC/1, JP3DGT/3, K1JD, KR7RK,
KX0R, LA3NGA/P, LA9PJA/P, N9XG, OE/DL6FBK/P, OE3HPU/P,
W1EJ, WC6J, WG0AT

Mode: CW on 24MHz: activity for July

F5UKL/P, JF1NDT/1, JP1QEC/1, KR7RK, LA9PJA/P, NA6MG,
OK1MLP/P

Mode: CW on 28MHz: activity for July

EA2IF/P, F5HTR/P, HB9BQU/P, HB9FVF/P, JA4RQO/4, JF1NDT/1,
KR7RK, LA9PJA/P, OE/DL8DXL/P, S52AU/P, TM10SOTA, WC0Y

Mode: CW on 50MHz: activity for July

JA4RQO/3, JF1NDT/1, JS1UEH/1, KD7WPJ, LZ1GJ/P, WA7JTM

Mode: CW on 1240MHz: activity for July

Mode: FM on 28MHz: activity for July

JR0GFM/0

Mode: FM on 50MHz: activity for July

JN3PDF, VK1VIC, WX7EMT

Mode: FM on 1240MHz: activity for July

JA1KHZ/1, JN3PDF, JR0GFM/0, JS1GRO/1, JS2VVH/2, K0NR,
OK1DEU/P

Mode: SSB on 28MHz: activity for July

2E0YYY/P, CT2HOV/P, CT2IUV/P, DO1DJJ/P, EB2GKK/1, F/OE5JKL/P,
HB0/OE5REO/P, HB9/IW3AGO/P, HB9BIN/P, IN3ADF/P, IW3AGO/P, IZ1DNQ/P,
K2BSA, K6ABM, KG7VIZ, KR7RK, LA5WNA, OE/IN3ADF/P,
OE5AUL/P, OE5EEP/P, OE5REO/P, OK2BDF/P, S52Q/P, S56LXN/P,
S57MS/P, SV2OXS/P, VK3YY, WB7ENX, WX4ET/P

Mode: SSB on 50MHz: activity for July

CT2IUV/P, GI4KSO/P, I1WKN, JA1KHZ/1, JF1NDT/1, JF3FGL/3,
JG1GPY/1, JH1EWV/0, JH1EWV/1, JL1BWG/1, JR1NNL/1, JS1JNM/1,
JS1UEH/1, JS2VVH/2, K6CMG, KB1HXO, KD7WPJ, KI4SVM,
KJ6HOT, KM6CEM, KR7RK, N6OQ, S51TX/P, S52AU/P,
S52CU/P, S52Q/P, S56LXN/P, S57MS/P, TF3EK/P, WA7JTM,
WW7D

Mode: SSB on 1240MHz: activity for July

G1ZAR/P, G4AZS/P, VK1AD/2, VK1AD/P, VK1MBE, VK1RX,
VK1VIC, VK2HRX

73 de Kevin G0NUP

SOTA News is normally published on the last day of each month, but there will be occasions when the Editor is not available at this time, in which case it will be published as soon as possible afterwards. It can only be as interesting as the items submitted, so if you think your particular field of interest is not being covered then please submit an article by the 25th of the month.

Have you a favourite SOTA? favourite mode? favourite rig, antenna, or favourite band? How did you find your first day / month / year as an activator or chaser? Your comments and experiences will be read by enthusiasts all across Europe, the USA, Australia and beyond, in a total of 114 different SOTA associations worldwide. Your input will be most welcome.

We receive many e-mails during the month containing details of activations, milestones reached and general SOTA news. Unless advised otherwise we will use this information in the next edition of SOTA News. It is important therefore that you advise us if any information is not intended for publication.

For ease of processing, please submit your input by e-mail direct to the addresses below and not via the Reflector.

==================================================

Mark G0VOF
SOTA News Editor
mark@brownhill.demon.co.uk

U.S. and Canadian reports to:-
Fred K6DGW/7 [aka “Skip” on the radio]
Canada/US SOTA Reporter Dude
Sparks NV
k6dgw@foothill.net

Australian input to:-
Allen VK3ARH
VK Reporter
VK3ARH@wia.org.au

New Zealand input to:-
Warren ZL2AJ
warren@zl2aj.com

Japanese reports to
Toru JH0CJH
jh0cjh@jarl.com

South African input to:-
Dennis ZS4BS
zs4bs@netactive.co.za

7 Likes

Helo!
Thanks for this nice July report.
Best 73
André f5ukl

1 Like

Hi Mark,

Thanks for collating all the incoming reports inc. Top Band once again.

I see from Kevin’s report that more stations are using 80m - good and also a sign of the stage of the SS cycle.

Sorry to hear about Rob’s eye and also Audrey’s knee still playing up. Don’t blame you taking the tram. Bad parking with ramps down? Maybe trials bikes?

Still plenty of CW about in SOTA. Thanks Roy.

Great photo of Arizona MG’s and also the photos from Japan.

Love the mast cum brolly arrangement. What a luxury not having to hold it up. Dread to think what would happen if a quick squall blew up. Could be furled of course.

I could do with some of Tim’s (KG7EJT) youth and energy these days!

Thanks to Barry for giving out all the trophies and certs.

Congrats to HB9BIN Jurg. 1000 unique’s must take some doing.

73, John