Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Summits | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | Sotlas | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

SOTA merchandise in a Swiss magazine

Hi all,

After a long battle with GoPro concerning the Hero9 audio “crackling” problem, my case got publicized by the well known Swiss consumer magazine K-Tipp.

When I went for the photo shooting in the nearby park, I wore my SOTA T-shirt on purpose, in the hope to get some publicity for SOTA. After the photo shooting, I explained the photographer about this special hobby. When he was a child, he was impressed by the amateur radio station of his neighbor and he thought that you need a huge installation to communicate so far.

This problem of the Hero9 model is well known by GoPro and is a hardware defect that can’t be fixed (their own statement). Their “solution” is to start the action cam 2-3 minutes before the action happens :rofl:

After the photo shooting about ten days ago, I sent the camera the third time to GoPro, but didn’t hear anything since then. Let’s hope that they somehow manage to return me a working camera, because that’s what they promised me after they got a call from the consumer magazine.

73 Stephan

BTW: The magazine granted me explicitly the right to publish their article.

16 Likes

Your promotion worked - I ordered a T-shirt today :smiley:

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about your problem with the Hero9 Stephan. Mine doesn’t “crackle”. Maybe I’m lucky, or maybe it’s beacuse I use the media mod, which has an external mic.

My Hero9 is also back with GoPro. Chipped lens, dead battery, mic. foam missing, cracked screen. All covered under warranty. :smiley:

73, Fraser

2 Likes

Hi Fraser,
The crackling happens only with the microphone of the camera itself. Sorry, I’m a minimalist, but when there is wind, the mod definitely helps.
Good luck with your GoPro, here they only change something within 30 days.
73 Stephan

2 Likes