SOTA Mapping Project future development

Welcome to 2020, where “fairly up-to-date” means updated within the last six months, preferably more recently.

According to my tests, SOTLAS works starting from Safari 11, Firefox 56 and Chrome 60. All these browsers are more than three years old. Although most users would probably rather see me add new features than play browser necrophiliac, I have some sympathy for people who cannot update their browser because they cannot update to a newer operating system because their hardware is no longer supported (affects mostly iOS users). So I just spent an hour or two trying to support a few browsers older than those listed above, and now SOTLAS should support most browsers that have been released within the last four years.

If it still doesn’t work for you, let me know the OS and browser version and I’ll see what I can do.

4 Likes

I let my frustration get the best of me. I am running Safari 14.x. In fact, the system updated it just this morning. I am, however, on the penultimate version of OS X.

Being new to this I had only looked at the SOTA mapping project which I found from a link on the SOTA home page. It’s awkward to use on a tablet or phone but I was disappointed to see there were no sota summits in Brittany which is a bit of France I often visit. This surprised me but who am I to argue?

As a result of this thread I looked at sotl.as and immediately saw the SOTA summits in Brittany - and its much easier to use on a tablet.

Get your Covid vaccine when available (old farts with health condx like me maybe get it first) and get yourself over to Brittany! I’d like to go and stay in a Gite next June when the Tour de France starts there, so can watch a stage or two and activate a summit or two! Whether this is possible remains to be seen… Expected to pay more for health insurance, green card and EU driving licence for these trips in future thanks to the Brexit failure ending free movement of people and goods from now on to the countries I like to visit. I think we can forget taking our dog - too much hassle and cost involved in 2021. Hopes here that this week we will see some form of Brexit agreement rather than acrimony and no deal which will make life easier for all of us once we have the answer to the pandemic.

What we seem to be getting is not what many people thought they were voting for over 4 years ago…

So let’s try to forget the politics and so, good luck in SOTA OM and I hope you also get to Brittany or anywhere abroad in 2021!

73 Phil G4OBK

1 Like

There are 2 French associations FL and F. SOTL.as shows summits where you are looking and SOTA mapping shows the region(s) you have selected only.

Good point made Andy. FL means France Low, where a 100m prominence rule exists. Generally speaking these summits are easier to climb, especially in FL/VOsges for example, where there are many easy to reach 6/8/10 pointers. SOTA is not a level playing field as you will find. Some folk moan about that, not me though…

73 Phil

Thank you, I only selected France (F) but I see the other regions now you’ve mentioned them and I know what to look for. :slight_smile:

It seems a bit odd not to be have all of France under the same tab, so to speak, although I could understand Corsica being separate.

As an aside I visited Corsica in 2018 and it has some brutes of mountains!

It’s 2 associations because of the distribution of summits and the variance in heights.

2 Likes

Hi John,

Please note also that you do need to have a Full Licence before you can do any amateur radio operating in France. I can see that you currently have the Foundation Licence as you are an M7. These means that you will need to get both your Intermediate and Full Licences before you can go and activate a SOTA summit in France.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

Thank you - I’m taking the Intermediate next month and have already started swatting for the Full. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good man.

2 Likes

You should visit California. Just a single state in the USA and we have sixteen regions! I guess there are other reasons to visit California, but that should be enough.

wunder

1 Like

Can honestly say I love both mapping software packages for different reasons. I love sotlas for the usability and exploring summits, I love SOTA Mapping for activation maps and elevation. I wouldn’t want to see either go, I have to say!

Mark. M0NOM

3 Likes