SOTA Mapping page down?

I keep getting the following error message when trying to display the summits for a particular region:
Regions: No records match your request, OE

I have tried other countries and regions with the same result.
Is anybody else having this problem?

Sylvia
OE5YYN

Yep same problem here

73 Glyn

Oops, sorry people: the server was down intermittently yesterday for over eight hours. Essential maintenance, probably: either that, or somebody forgot to put a shilling in the meter :slight_smile: . A snapshot of the uptimes:

All back up now - until the next time…

Rob

2 Likes

Thanks for info Rob…we missed having it!

73 Phil

It could be the latest security issue Rob. All of these things have to have catchy names now so the latest is VENOM which is an escalation of privilege that happens with QEMU. QEMU is used to provide multiple virtual machines from big servers so you can either segregate tasks/users or simply to sell virtual machines. In this case the QEMU legacy code for virtual floppy disk drives was at fault. This code was used in QEMU, VRS, KVM and other Linux virtualiasion code so a lot of the internet was at risk. Windows uses a different virtualisation system and for once, was not vulnerable.

I run a number of virtual servers for SOTA tasks and they were all hard rebooted for me by the hosting company last night resulting in a period of downtime for the SOTA spotter and SOTA cluster. I got an email telling me they were well along the way in patching and my machines would reboot soon. Just as I finished reading the mail, the various servers started disappearing! I think the total downtime was about 3 minutes. But it did interrupt “Martini Time” whilst I restarted things on the servers when they came back.

VENOM, QEMU, VRS, KVM - is there an online service where one might get a translation of this into English? I mean, for those of us not conversant with machine code :wink:

Seriously though, I found this online which might make a little more sense to us small folk on the ground:

There’s an extremely critical bug in the Xen, KVM, and native QEMU
virtual machine platforms and appliances that makes it possible for
attackers to break out of protected guest environments and take full
control of the operating system hosting them, security researchers
warned Wednesday.
The vulnerability is serious because it pierces a key protection that
many cloud service providers use to segregate one customer’s data from
another’s. If attackers with access to one virtualized environment can
escape to the underlying operating system, they could potentially access
all other virtual environments. In the process, they would be
undermining one of the fundamental guarantees of virtual machines.

So there we have it. Nothing to do with the electric meter - and no fuses blown, either.