SOTA live stream by the RSGB tonight!

I’m giving a SOTA presentation tonight, live streamed by the RSGB for their ‘Tonight @ 8’ series. It kicks off at 8pm, you can watch it live here: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheRSGB

No tricky questions please :wink:

73 James M0JCQ

6 Likes

Wonder why this has been scheduled at the same time as an RSGB contest? Good luck with the broadcast James and thank you for promoting SOTA.

2 Likes

Previous talks in the series have ended up as videos that can be watched later. I hope this one will, too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi James I’ll try to be watching - by the way, I already posted a heads-up on this reflector a few days ago

73 Ed.

Most people don’t do contests.

This is so true it is a truism. My point was more about why, even so, to schedule a clash that would rule out potentially several hundred active RSGB members. If on catch-up as suggested, that would significantly reduce the impact of the clash though.

Available now: RSGB Tonight@8 - Portable adventures with SOTA with James Stevens, M0JCQ - YouTube

2 Likes

Well the remaining minority don’t half manage to occupy the bands sometimes :wink: (mainly HF)

2 Likes

Hi James,
A nice, complete presentation - I’m not sure what happened with the Internet link at the very end where you could still be heard but you could obviously not longer see or hear the RSGB presenter. That was about at the end of the available time in any case.

Some really impressive pictures of your activations. Those alone should give some people the push to give SOTA a try.

I wonder if the RSGB can tell you where the people were watching the YouTube livestream from? I watched via the BATC website, where there were a lot less people than on earlier “Tonight @ 8” shows. I think the RSGB didn’t advertise the BATC channel this time, as they wanted everyone to use the YouTube live one which appeared to be a few seconds ahead of BATC.

In any case well done - nice presentation.

73 Ed DD5LP / G8GLM.

1 Like

Well done James

1 Like

Great stuff James,

I enjoyed your presentation, perhaps we will see a surge of ops taking to the hills.

I walked about 20 Southern Lakes Wainwright Outliers last week with my Brother-in-Law. I was carrying a 2m handie with the Flower Pot aerial in the rucksack. There was a marked increase in Sota activity compared to 7 years ago when I activated them the first time.

Regards
David
G0EVV

2 Likes

Thanks Ed. Yes, we had a few gremlins at the end, but at least it held out before I got any awkward questions!

They told me after that they had 100+ people watching live on YouTube and 30 via BATC - but that many more typically watch it on YouTube after the event - so hopefully it acts as a good advert for SOTA and helps encourage a new tribe of licensees to give it a go.

73 James M0JCQ

2 Likes

Thanks David, glad you enjoyed the presentation.

Good work on the outliers, I’m back up to the LD at the end of this month and hope to pick off a few more of the major peaks left.

73 James M0JCQ

1 Like