SOTA LD Weekend 2021 Challenges

No excuse Andy - Mark will accept a textual log.
ADIF files are produced easily by all the amateur software programmes after clicking a few buttons, the file is produced, you don’t need any coding skills. Sounds like you aren’t computer logging yet to me. I started logging on a 386 in 1990 and now I have 113,362 QSOs in my whole log, EA/DL6GCA/P is the last QSO 5 minutes ago. I believe he is on the summit with Guru EA2IF.

73 Phil

Enter your log into the DB.
Download your log from the DB as a CSV file.
Use Christophe ON6ZQ online CSV to ADIF converter to make ADIF from CSV (cut and paste)
Save ADIF file and email to Mark.

Took me a few moments to get an ADIF file and I have never used them before either.

https://www.on6zq.be/w/index.php/SOTA/SOTA2ADIF

3 Likes

Ok Andy I’ll have a go at that route! My prevarication was just to give everyone else a chance of winning :wink:

1 Like

If you can’t make the jump from CSV to ADIF file no problem, send me the CSV file.

1 Like

Sadly that’s not the issue Mark. It’s that I am still using www.\https\paperandpencil v1.0
Then entering direct (and manually) into the SOTA database. I haven’t even connected a computer to my base rig yet, which is preventing me from experimenting with digital modes. However as retirement beckons I’m planning to address some of these failings :grin:

2 Likes

Hi Andy, if the log is in the SOTA database you can download a CSV file:

View Results → My Results → My Activator Log
Then click the download button next to your activation, and send me that CSV file.

Cheers, Mark.

1 Like

You as well! That’s me, you and Paul IPB who are in the same boat.

Management committee! Talk of retirement should be banned on the reflector! Please? :weary: I’ve got two girls potentially to get through University and marriages yet!

3 Likes

I think that’s only fair Mark when (one of them at least) is happy to accompany you to the pub to meet a group of Radio Amateurs, climb hills with you on SOTA outings and even hold the antenna mast for you when it breaks! :wink: Well worth a few pennies invested in her future!

2 Likes

I’m doing paper&pencil logging, much more convenient than with a tablet / computer / phone and (almost) weatherproof. At home, I enter these data manually into the CSV file needed by sotadata. I don’t have that many QSOs on a summit (and certainly not the 145 QSOs that Mark logged on G/LD-056), so this doesn’t take too much time and allows me to re-live the experience and the conversations on the summit.
Uploading by CSV is much faster than entering them all one by one.
I have written a Python script that converts those to ADIF suitable for upload to QRZ.com.

I anybody is interested, drop me an e-mail.

73 de Martin / HB9GVW

5 Likes

Could anyone planning on submitting a log file please let me know before this time tomorrow, otherwise expect results to be published on Sunday!

Cheers, Mark.

3 Likes

Sorry, I’ll be on this on Wednesday, and we will have a result. I’ve been dealing with lighthouse data, I find it quite therapeutic licking data into shape.

Here are the results of the challenges. Thank you to everyone who took part. The overall winner is @G4IVV Jonathan, with runners up @G4OOE Nick, @G4OBK Phil and @G0HIK Nick. If your QRZ.com postal addresses aren’t correct please let me know. As agreed with @G0HIK Nick we discounted satellite contacts from the Long Distance Relationship category.

It’s been a useful experience to process everyone’s log files as it has highlighted a number of improvements that can be made to the processor (and people’s logging techniques :woozy_face:). If anyone wants their Google Earth KML file or the ADIF file I input into the ADIF Processor please PM me.

Now to think about a suitable weekend for the next event…

7 Likes

Gosh, I’m not sure how that happened!

Thanks Mark for organising a great weekend, and I think your amazing DX haul on Sunday afternoon should really take pride of place.

It was great to meet everyone and I can’t wait to get out in the hills again…

Thanks,
Jonathan

1 Like

Sorry, @MM0FMF Andy’s ADIF files got stuck in my inbox - I’ve updated the table to include his results now too.

Regards, Mark.

3 Likes

Do you have a QRZ.COM page Andy? Just checking as my ADIF Processor couldn’t find your details based on someone else’s log, and it checks regional alternatives so in your case your callsign was M0FMF/P but it will look for MM0FMF. If you’re not on there, fair enough, just making sure my assumptions about lookups are correct. Thanks, Mark.

Your code/assumptions are correct as I don’t play QRZ.com or any of the others.

Took me quite some effort to get myself removed from there, HamQTH and every where else people looked to find my real address so they could send me damn QSL cards.

The lack of a QRZ.com entry seems to cause much “you’re twisting my melon man” angst especially to stations in the USA for some reason :slight_smile:

Probably because you end up in the middle of the Atlantic for them :rofl:
It’s folk like you that’ll give my mapping software a bad name :yum:
As long as you’re always on a SOTA summit no worries for me however.

For making everyone else look good I will accept payment by PayPal. :slight_smile:

But seriously, it was a most enjoyable weekend. Thanks to everyone who took part.

2 Likes

HI Mark / All

Thank you Mark for keeping to your word. The Hermes Courier has just paid me a visit…

As the winner of The Lake Lovers Awards for chasing G/LD summits over the weekend from North Yorkshire and Scotland, I have just received my prizes! I love the Haribo stuff - they’ll be eaten today. However the piece de resistance is my new LUCKY ANVIL with my callsign on the side. This heavy weight will now accompany me on future activations. THANK YOU MARK!

73 Phil G4OBK

9 Likes