SOTA LD Weekend 2021, 11-12 Sept 2021

Weekend booked. We’ve re-booked the B&B that we were supposed to use last year - that must be one of the longest held-over deposits!

3 weeks till the English restrictions start to ease (hopefully). Boy have I missed the hills!

I noticed when booking that by this date it will be 2yr 1mth since I last stayed in any kind of hotel/b&b etc.

1 Like

Yes, I found on the northbound descent the bends are so sharp you think your offside front wheel is going over the edge whilst your nearside rear one will hit the rocks. On arrival I even had to reverse about 50m down that steep winding narrow road from the ideal parking spot [occupied by two minibuses] to a spare place.

Hard Knott (G/LD-034) is still a failed activation for me as the BNC-to-SMA adapter for my 2m HT & RH-770 failed. I had the rubber duck and should have used it. Adding insult to injury, I got booties wading through the flooded terrain near the summit.

2 Likes

I always remember my dad telling me how he used to have to reverse up some of the steepest roads in the Lakes. Traffic levels were somewhat down on modern times. And car engines (brakes and gear boxes) have somewhat improved! Happy memories…

I’m thinking of an overnight activation (wild camp) - currently looking at the logistics of linking G/LD-008, G/LD-023 and G/LD-004 over the two days. Possible fall back plan if the weather is especially bad would be a day trip on the Saturday to G/LD-013 and G/LD-024…

Sounds a really good idea. Not sure which hills yet - it partly depends on if we are allowed to meet in the pub! Reunion on Seat Sandal? Thanks for the plan Paul

Sounds like you need this young lady’s new vehicle…

https://youtu.be/VpAHaoKB4Tk

2 Likes

The last time I travelled over Wrynose and then Hardknott by car I was terrified that if the car stopped the rear wheels would just spin up and I’d be stuffed on Wrynose. Not enjoyable by car or pushbike. When descending on the bike my forearms nearly exploded as I squeezed for dear life!

1 Like

Wonder if I could get a sofa up Skiddaw for this? Just need a good quad bike! That, and umbrella, and a keg of Bluebird? lol

You’ve just solved my dilemma - which hill? :beers:

1 Like

I would advise coming down the eskdale side on a bike. The better route is down to cockley beck the back via birker fell.At least your only worry then is the nutcase dog at the farm at the bottom of birker.

On a bike its a 15 minute ride or a 20 minute walk. You choose :wink: (it goes a bit like this…hard, harder, hard, normal for cumbria i.e. up, hard, hardest, still hardest…now rest). In my prime I could do it on a 38:28. Now I’d struggle with a granny ring.

I did nearly get taken out by a rockfall on Wyrnose once. Minding my own business on the descent a rock the size of a football missed my back wheel by about a metre or so. That would have been uncomfortable. Come to think of it a deer landed right in front of me in Scotland once. I’m not sure who was more surprised!

Weekend accommodation now booked.
I will probably bring equipment for 2m, 23cm, 13cm & 9cm.
not yet decided which summit(s)

73…Stuart
G1ZAR

As the date for this event is only a month away I thought I would give this Thread a bump. :slight_smile:

We are booked into the campsite at Meathrop Fell on the very southern tip of the LD and I hope to try one or two summits down there such as Gummer’s How.

Is there any support for setting up a What’s App group or just rely on SOTAWwatch and this Forum? I think the latter will be fine but it’s worth considering other options. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy to start a WhatsApp group for folk attending, if you think that will help

1 Like

Why would you want take the content away from the SOTA sites?

I agree, despite having made the suggestion. :slight_smile: I’ve used it at other unrelated gatherings but they didn’t have access to the SOTA outlets.

Probably best forgotten about. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m hopefully all set for an extended weekend. 1st September arrives with the beginnings of a phased retirement so I should have a four day weekend, so that might be four days activating or just some extra days to recover……:-). Alerts set for Saturday for Grizedale Pile and then probably on to Grassmoor. Sunday might be shorter. Will have the dog and might have my daughter too….

Is there a plan to meet up anywhere yet?

Thanks

Paul

Given that it worked so well last time I would suggest going back to The Brookside Inn in Windermere, but I’m open to suggestions.
Mark

4 Likes

I had to check I’d booked a room in Windermere first as it seems so long back. Yes, The Brookside served good food and beer and had efficient and pleasant staff so I’ll be happy to go there again.

2 Likes

Agreed (I’ve booked my accommodation to suit). Please remind me to pay my bill this time :man_facepalming: I forgot until I was half way back to Keswick last time. Fortunately they took the payment over the phone!

Living in Yorkshire, I’m not used to credit :wink:

1 Like